You’re getting ready to place your next order and a little voice in your head asks, “Do you really need this fabric?” Whether you’re getting behind on planned DIYs or a family member is questioning your fabric habits, the struggle to manage a fabric stash can sometimes be all too real. Here at Spoonflower, we understand why you may not be able to part ways with the last tiny piece of fabric from your favorite sewing project or resist the exciting launch of a new collection. So we created eight fabric quotes to share with friends and family members who may not understand why you need “just one more yard.” Download your favorites and share on social media. Don’t forget to tag @spoonflower and use #spoonflower to join the fun!
While we can’t guarantee we’ll be seeing mermaids, yetis and dragons co-existing outside of the Spoonflower design challenge world, we can promise the winning designs will brighten your day with whimsy and fun! A round of applause is in order for FIRST TIME WINNER, Lindsey Marsh ( aka mintedtulip) for her design, Watercolor Mermaid! Lindsey will be receiving the grand-prize of $200 in Spoonflower credit and a 1-year Skillshare Premium subscription. The 2nd place winner, nouveau_bohemian will receive $100 in Spoondollars and a 6 month Skillshare Premium subscription. The 3rd place winner, heatherdutton will receive $50 in Spoondollars and a 6 month Skillshare Premium subscription. The rest of the top 10 winners will receive $20 in Spoonflower credit. See all the top 10 winners.
Don’t forget, for the first time ever, all submissions into May’s design challenges are automatically entered to win the grand prize full of design goodies worth over $1000!
1. 351 votes for watercolor mermaids by mintedtulip
2. 324 votes for Mythica (sea foam) by nouveau_bohemian
3. 313 votes for Under The Sea – Nautical Mermaid Watercolor Blue by heatherdutton
4. 267 votes for WatercolorFairies by blairfully_made
5. 263 votes for In the Garden by susan_polston
6. 255 votes for Fire dragons in orange and blue watercolors by heleen_vd_thillart
7. 252 votes for Merry Mermaids in Watercolor by micklyn
8. 250 votes for sea unicorn by bruxamagica
9. 234 votes for sweet mermaids by cjldesigns
10. 219 votes for Nessie by artfully_minded [Read more…] about Announcing the Winners of the Whimsical Watercolor Fantasy Creatures Design Challenge
Did you know the Spoonflower Berlin team has 9 different countries represented in their factory? From Australia to Uruguay, the team is truly a melting pot. The newest member of the team, Maria, hails from Dresden, Germany but has lived in Berlin for over 8 years. While she may be a new face to the team, Maria joined the team this February, she is always on the lookout for new makers to feature and takes her coffee like any good marketeer : with Instagram! Get to know Maria with her 12 questions below!
The first thing I want you to know about me is: I love to be with people. [Read more…] about 12 Questions for Berlin Marketing Team Member, Maria N.
We love seeing interesting uses for our materials and this post from our friend Sarah Louise Matthews does not disappoint. Here she shares a step by step tutorial for transforming our wrapping paper into beautiful paper flowers for a DIY garland. Read on for the full how to!
It’s been raining all week at the Spoonflower HQ but it stopped just in time to crown a winner of the Birds and Blooms design challenge! While the extra rain may have helped the blooms in the employee garden, no rain was necessary for the blooms featured in Susan Polston’s winning design challenge entry, Nesting in Blooms! This is Susan’s third time winning a design challenge – our hats are off to her! Susan will be receiving the grand-prize of $200 in Spoonflower credit. The 2nd place winner, ottomanbrim will receive $100 in Spoondollars. The 3rd place winner, laurenthomasdesigns will receive $50 in Spoondollars. The rest of the top 10 winners will receive $20 in Spoonflower credit. See all the top 10 winners.
1. 279 votes for Nesting in Blooms by susan_polston
2. 278 votes for Blue blooms and black birds by ottomanbrim
3. 272 votes for Blossom_and_Birds by laurenthomasdesigns
4. 264 votes for Poppy_Perch by divadeba
5. 255 votes for Lake Alexandra by melarmstrongdesign
6. 252 votes for birds, flowers and strawberries by mirabelleprint
7. 248 votes for Folk Art Birds and Blooms by j9design
8. 247 votes for Gracie’s Garden – Bird Floral by heatherdutton
9. 246 votes for Springtime Birds by sarah_knight
10. 245 votes for Spring Magpie by nicofennec
Spoonflower has joined with Sprout Patterns again to show you how to stitch up a stretchy, sporty pair of leggings just in time for warm weather. The Sloan Leggings are comfy, stylish, and equally perfect for trail running and running errands. The pattern is for a simple well-fitting pair of leggings, with multiple lengths and a key pocket. Learn more (and get creating!) here. Choose your favorite Spoonflower design, create your leggings, and follow along with the video below. You’ll be comfortably stretching and lunging–or just hanging out with friends–in no time. Let’s get started!
If you liked this video, click the link below to subscribe to our Youtube channel for more DIY sewing and design tutorials!
Christina (Friztin on Spoonflower) has been with our design community for a while now, and we have always been fans of her abstract, textural signature style. She was randomly selected to win our giveaway for a free pass to the Makers Summit Conference, where we had a chance to chat and get to know her a bit better. We knew we had to interview Christina so that our community could hear her story as well. Follow along as Christina shares her influences and how she got started in design!
Earlier this week we shared the different ways Earth Day is celebrated throughout the year at the Spoonflower HQ. Whether we’re composting our lunches, tending to the employee garden, or diverting more than 2,000 pounds of waste from the landfill to our compost, we’ve embraced the importance of protecting our mother earth. Now it’s your turn!
Show us how you’re celebrating Earth Day :
- Snap a pic of your Spoonflower Eco Canvas project and tag your Instagram photo with @spoonflower and hashtag #SpoonflowerEarthDay2017 by 10 a.m EDT April 24th.
- For every Instagram photo shared with our Earth Day hashtag, we’ll donate $1 to Recycle Across America.
- One lucky person will win 2 yards of Eco Canvas featuring their favorite Marketplace design
On April 22, 1970, there was an uprising of more than 20 million Americans who stood up to demonstrate for a healthy, sustainable environment in impressive coast-to-coast rallies. Thousands of colleges and universities organized protests against the deterioration of the environment. Groups that had been individually fighting against oil spills, pollution, toxic dumps, pesticides, water insecurity, the loss of wilderness, and the extinction of wildlife suddenly realized they shared common values.
“For Earth Day 2017, communities must take the lead promoting Environmental and Climate Literacy. Now more than ever in recent history, people around the world are hungry to engage in public policy. It is up to all of us to use this unprecedented opportunity to build the change we need.”
From prickly to pruned and terrariums to teacups, this week’s designers brought their best green (design) thumb for the Limited Color Palette Succulents design challenge. A big brava to Viktoria Sevastyanova for her winning design, succulents and roses! Tory will be receiving the grand-prize of $200 in Spoonflower credit. The 2nd place winner, beesocks will receive $100 in Spoondollars. The 3rd place winner, vo_aka_virginia will receive $50 in Spoondollars. The rest of the top 10 winners will receive $20 in Spoonflower credit. See all the top 10 winners.
1. 273 votes for succulents and roses by torysevas
2. 259 votes for Soothing succulents by beesocks
3. 242 votes for Sunset succulents by vo_aka_virginiao
4. 241 votes for succulent_garden by nadja_petremand
5. 225 votes for Tea Cups & Succulents by honoluludesign
6. 191 votes for Succulent Garden – Black by heatherdutton
7. 178 votes for Spiky Succulents by samalah
8. 176 votes for Paisley succulents by camcreative
9. 171 votes for Lime Zinger Sedum Too by lindiart
10. 165 votes for Succulent Waltz – Peach by ceciliamok