A handmade Halloween wouldn’t be complete without the appearance of pumpkins! Decorate your stoop with festive fabric pumpkins made in Cypress Cotton Canvas or Eco Canvas. Make and stack a few in multiple sizes and designs for added effect. The best thing about this DIY project? Unlike real pumpkins, once the trick-or-treaters are gone, you can store these pumpkins in the attic for next year!
The doctor is in! Inspired by the medical professionals keeping us (and our pets!) in tip-top shape, we’re giving our designer community a clean bill of design health after this week’s challenge. Say
ahhh congratulations to our winner, selmacardoso, who will be receiving a $200 Spoonflower credit for her adorable design, Happy and Healthy Friends. We also can’t forget to recognize second place (lellobird) and third place (heatherdutton) winners who will be receiving $100 and $50 in Spoonflower credit, respectively. Don’t forget to make an appointment with the entire top ten to get your daily dose of design.
1. 417 votes for VET medicine happy and healthy friends by selmacardoso
2. 319 votes for Bandage Stripe Blue by lellobird
3. 293 votes for Spectacle by heatherdutton
4. 281 votes for Driving Ambulances: Ta-tüü-ta-ta by heyjunge
5. 272 votes for Heartline for Pets by vintage_style
6. 251 votes for Happy Vet Visit by cynthiafrenette
7. 249 votes for Healthy life by yuliia_studzinska
8. 246 votes for apothecary herbs by stargazingseamstress
9. 241 votes for band aids of hope by booboo_collective
10. 234 votes for Medical goods by kondratya [Read more…] about Announcing the Medical Professions Design Challenge Winners
This Halloween, treat yourself to an easy DIY that can be completed in under 30 minutes, which means more time for working on handmade costumes for the little ones. With a little help from the Fill-a-Yard™ 9″ Square Cheater Quilt in Fleece, this DIY bunting requires very basic sewing but is still full of festive, Halloween flare. Download your free template and get started today!
Does mastering the art of seamless repeats feel like the pinnacle of your surface design journey? We’ve got a not-so-secret truth to tell you—they’re easier than you might think! Spoonflower designer Anda Corrie is demystifying seamless repeats using the budget-friendly (just $9.99!) design tool, Procreate®, and her trusty iPad.
For your unicorn lover this Halloween, we’ve found the perfect cut-and-sew project in Kona® Cotton from Rebecca Propes of Make & Do Studio. Featuring an oversized hanging rainbow and a plushie friend to match, you’ll feel like you’ve found the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow when you’ve finished this DIY Halloween costume! Warning: She won’t want to put away this look after Halloween.
Peeking through the windows of Sew Over It, the picture-perfect sewing shop in Islington, North London, during Zeena Shah’s seamless repeat design workshop in June, you couldn’t miss the eight eager students taking in all the design knowledge you could ever need for crafting the perfect pattern. Follow along as Zeena gives you a behind-the-scenes look at her hands-on class and then give seamless repeats a try with this beginner-friendly design tutorial.
Is your little one a Picasso in the making? Celebrate their love for art this Halloween with a DIY project that requires just one yard of fabric! The only scary thing about this costume is how little space you’ll have left on your phone when you’re done capturing your budding artist in this soft Minky look. Follow along as Samarra Khaja, aka sammyk in the Marketplace, shows you how to recreate this one-yard wonder.
For this week’s Meet the Designer spotlight, you could say a future in design was in the cards for her. Growing up with a painter/sculptor for a mother and a photographer for a father, Tina Vey knew at a young age that art was the answer for her. Joining us from Amherst, MA after spending most of her adult life in a fast-paced New York City, we can’t wait for you to get a peek into the inspiration behind the artist we’ve come to know and love, ottomanbrim.
My day starts with…
[Read more…] about Meet the Designer: Tina Vey of ottomanbrim
There’s nothing fishy about making your kid’s Halloween costume, especially when it incorporates all of your favorite DIY elements like hot glue, felt, foam and of course, custom fabric! Sara Walk of Tell Love and Party is swimming over to the blog to share a costume that will shine amongst a sea of classroom costumes. Taking center stage for this friendly fish is our go-to fabric for costumes, Satin. Level-up your handmade Halloween game with Sara’s step-by-step tutorial and get a head start with our free PDF fish costume pattern.
This week’s Emerald Forest Design Challenge has us lost in a lush forest of designs. The community was enchanted by our grand-prize winner, catalinakim, and her design Emerald Eden, earning her a $200 Spoonflower credit and the title of two-time design challenge champion; you may recognize Catalina when she took home first place in the Mint, Coral, Black and White Design Challenge in 2015. Just imagine how those rich emerald hues will shine on a Celosia Velvet™ pillow from Roostery! Joining Catalina in the winners circle are honoluludesign (second place) and gaiamarfurt (third place) who will be receiving $100 and $50 in Spoonflower credit, respectively. Frolic through the emerald forest to shop the entire top 10.
1. 457 votes for EMERALD EDEN by catalinakim
2. 304 votes for Lost in a Good Book in an emerald forest by honoluludesign
3. 302 votes for emeraldforest by gaiamarfurt
4. 293 votes for Emerald forest-Emerald by lumeme
5. 279 votes for Treasures of the emerald woods by camcreative
6. 278 votes for Magic Forest by heatherdutton
7. 273 votes for Emerald forest keepers. Fairy woodland creatures. by kostolom3000
8. 272 votes for Emerald Forest by nikijin
9. 271 votes for Wood Nymph by j9design
10. 267 votes for Emerald Forest by rose_and_stone [Read more…] about Announcing the Emerald Forest Design Challenge Winners