Have you ever wondered how designers in the Spoonflower community create the adorable cut-and-sew projects you’ve been eyeing in the Marketplace? From the purrrfect zipper pouch (see the how-to here) to a giftable hedgehog plushie, the only limit to creating your very own cut-and-sew project is your imagination. To help you get started, Spoonflower designer Ceri Staziker–cerigwen in the Marketplace–is sharing seven design tips for successfully creating a cut-and-sew project. By the time you’re done, you’ll never underestimate the power of a fat quarter!
fat quarter projects
Earlier this year, we were feeling the love when we shared our Personalized Wedding Pillows for Under $10 DIY project on the blog. We received lots of excitement for this project and a handful of requests for a pillow template. The wedding bells must be ringing because today we’re excited to share four different pillow templates, ready for your customized details!
Today starts our favorite promotion of the year–2-for-1 fat quarters! It’s the perfect time to stock up on tea towels, an easy to sew, wonderful handmade gift that fits on a fat quarter of fabric (we recommend Linen Cotton). To help you out with your holiday shopping, Spoonflower is holding a two-for-one fat quarter special starting today and running for the next week. Here are the details:
- What: Buy two fat quarters of any fabric on Spoonflower for the price of one. [Most tea towel designs fit on a fat quarter.] A fat-quarter of Linen-Cotton Canvas (which works well for tea-towels) is normally $14, so it will cost $7 during the period of the promotion.
- When: Thursday, November 5 (10am EST) through Thursday, November 12th (at 10 pm EST).
- How: Add two fat quarters (or any other number) and you will get half-off the regular price. The discount will be calculated automatically and the promotional price will appear in your shopping cart.
1) Are these tea towels finished products?
No, they are not. Spoonflower just sells fabric, so the tea-towel calendars and other kits (stockings kits, etc.) arrive to you as fabric, and in order to use them as gifts you’ll need to hem, cut & sew as needed. Unless you’re giving them as kits to someone else who sews, which is also a fun idea.
2) If I’m a designer, will my commission on sales be half of what it normally is?
Nope. You’ll still earn up to 15% in Spoondollars of the un-discounted price.
3) Do I have to buy two fat quarters of the same design to get the promotional price?
No, the promotion will apply to all fat quarters, so you can use it for as many different designs as you like.
4) If I buy one fat quarter, will I automatically receive a second, identical fat quarter?
No, if you want two pieces of fabric, you will have to add two to your shopping cart (or adjust the quantity in the cart to be two rather than one).
5) Do I receive a discount if I buy two fat quarters on two different fabrics?
Yes, each fat quarter you purchase will be half of its regular price.
6) Does this promotion apply to all fabric, or just tea towel kits?
The buy-one-fat-quarter, get-one-free promotion applies to all fabric for the duration of the special. But it applies ONLY to the fat-quarter size, not to yards or swatches.
7) Can’t I just add a yard of fabric to my cart and get four tea towels?
The special offer applies only to fat quarters. In some cases, it might be possible to get four tea-towels by buying a yard of fabric… but most designers have set up their tea towels to be centered. If the design is centered then you have to order it as a single piece. For tea towels this is usually a quarter yard, but for an apron kit, for example, it might be a single yard. This special is a discount for fat quarters only.
Looking for other project ideas that use only a fat quarter of fabric? Take a peek at our Fat Quarter Projects Pinterest board for more gift inspiration!
Talented designer Natitys (Eloisa) visits the blog today to share some of her sweet cut & sew doll templates with you. She’ll show you how to customize the patterns to make your own unique doll, and upload your file for printing. These templates make a quick, simple and personalized project that fits perfectly onto just a fat quarter of fabric.
Eloisa: I think handmade dolls are one best gifts anyone could receive, especially when your doll is designed just for you! In this tutorial, I’ll show you how to change colors of the skin, hair, outfits and add accessories to these pre-designed doll patterns so you can add detail and personalization that’s all your own!