Shevonne gets ready for yoga in her Sport Lycra headband with design Delf_Conversational by Stacy Iest Hsu.
You’ve just sewn up your Sport Lycra leggings and you’re ready for yoga class when it strikes you–your freshly sewn yoga pants need a matching headband to keep the hair out of your eyes during those downward-facing dogs! With the bonus moisture-wicking feature and quick sew time, a headband is the perfect accessory to add to your athletic wardrobe. Join Spoonflower team member and self proclaimed athletic apparel advocate Meredith, as she shows you how to turn a fat quarter of Spoonflower’s Sport Lycra into a headband, ideal for sweating it out at the gym or just preventing a bad hair day.
- 1 Fat Quarter of Spoonflower’s Sport Lycra (I used Jennifer Sanchez Art’s ny1329. The colors in her designs really pop on the Sport Lycra!)
- Fabric shears or rotary blade.
- Sewing machine/thread
1. To get started, cut down your fabric. Cut a rectangle 4.5” wide x 20” long. If you’re nervous about the headband fitting too snug, I recommend wrapping the fabric around head to determine how much fabric you’ll need, keeping in mind there will be a 1⁄4” seam allowance. You can always sew your headband with a larger seam allowance if it’s too big, so err on the side of caution!
2. Fold your cut rectangle in half, left to right, right sides facing each other.
3. With the fabric folded in half, fold the fabric again, top to bottom.
4. Fold the fabric in half, top to bottom, one more time!
5. Using a pin, secure the raw edges of the fabric. The end of your headband should be 8 layers thick.
6. Using a 1⁄4” seam, sew across the edge you just pinned together. I recommend using a stretch stitch to prevent your seam from ripping.
7. The great thing about knit fabric, including the Sport Lycra, is that the edges won’t fray like woven fabrics! So, if you’re running out the door for yoga and don’t have time to finish your edges, don’t worry! If you do prefer a more finished look and don’t want the edges to roll, you can fold over the top and bottom of your headband about 1⁄4” and topstitch.
With so many designs to choose from in the Spoonflower marketplace, or a custom design of your own, the possibilities are really endless for a headband!