Spoonflower’s Weekly Design Challenges encourage creativity by inviting our community to submit designs around a theme and vote on favorites to win weekly prizes. See what design challenges are coming up and which designers were crowned grand-champion in past challenges here.
One Grand Prize Winner each week will receive $200 in Spoondollars. The winner will also receive additional exposure in our email newsletters, professional photography of their printed designs, and social media mentions.
The 2nd place winner will receive $100 in Spoondollars.
The 3rd place winner will receive $50 in Spoondollars.
The rest of the top 10
4th through 10th place winners will receive a $20 Spoondollar credit.
All of the top 50
Each of the top 50 entries, determined as set forth above, not receiving one of the foregoing prizes will be automatically proofed for sale in the Spoonflower Marketplace (approximately a $5 value) (the “Runner Up Prize”) if winners are verified sellers.
Below please find the rules for participating in our Design Challenge.
- Log in to Spoonflower. If you don’t have an account, create one here.
- Once logged into your account, you may upload the design you wish to enter into the challenge.
- Upload a design in JPG, PNG, or TIF formats. Artwork should be sized at a minimum of 150 dpi. Your Spoonflower preview will be viewed at 150 dpi in a fat quarter size (21” x 18”) unless otherwise specified. Once uploaded, you can use the contest entry page to edit the repeat style of your fabric design. Please proof the size and layout of your design carefully. Entries will be submitted at the fat quarter size (21″ x 18”), on the voting ballot. Please make sure your design is in a basic repeat. Do not choose the ‘centered’ layout option.
- Pull down the Action menu over the design you wish to enter in the contest and select the specific design challenge sub-theme under the heading Enter in Contest.
Themed Design Challenge Rules (updated 10/31/2018)
Official rules may change depending on the contest, and will always be updated on this page as they become available.
Overview. Spoonflower’s Weekly Design Challenges encourage creativity by inviting our community to submit designs around a theme and vote on favorites to win weekly prizes.
Voting. Each week we will take fabric designs submitted by their creators to the contest and open them to voting from the community. The design with the most votes is declared the winner unless stated otherwise. One vote per person is counted. Duplicate votes are removed automatically from the totals. The full results of voting are posted on the blog on the day the winner is announced.
Prize. Prizes will vary based on our contest. If you receive Spoondollar credit for winning, please note that this cannot be redeemed for cash. This has no effect on the commission you earn from sales of your winning fabric through our efforts to promote the contest. The best motivation for submitting a design is the chance to share your work with an amazing community of your peers. Please note that all submitted designs must be original and comply with the Spoonflower Terms of Service.
As of September 13, 2018, we began making the top 50 designs in each competition available for sale. By entering the contest, you agree that if your design is voted in the top 50 and is marked for sale that you agree to be bound by the terms of the Seller’s Agreement and become a verified seller. Please note that designs will remain visible in our past contest archive. Should you change the for-sale status of your design, please keep the design public to keep our archive complete.
- All submitted designs must be your own (you cannot nominate other people’s designs or use designs based upon other people’s work)
- Designs must already be in your Spoonflower account. To create a free Spoonflower account, please click here.
- All design challenge entries must be new to the Marketplace based on the date of the theme announcement. Designs in the Marketplace that are public, but not for sale prior to the theme announcement date also apply to this rule.
- Designs in the contests must be public. When you enter a design it will automatically be made public. .
- Limit one (1) person per email address and one Spoonflower account per person.
While we do not require that a design submitted to the contest have been purchased first (by the designer), please consider that it’s a good idea to at least see for yourself what your design looks like on fabric before entering it in a public contest. Swatches are only $5!
What if I don’t want my design to be purchased by other people? We will never sell or offer for voting any design without explicit permission from its creator. Making your design public on Spoonflower does NOT mean that it will appear in a Design Challenge. In order to appear in the contest you must specifically submit a design using the process described above. Note that the top 50 designs in each contest will be made available for sale.
Can I submit more than one design? Please submit no more than one design for each themed contest.
Am I giving up copyright of my design by entering it? You are not giving up ownership of your design, but by entering your design in the contest you give us the non-exclusive right to make it available for sale in the Spoonflower Marketplace for no less than one week. You will always be credited for your design and you are free to continue to sell it on your own now and in the future. After a week, you are also free to remove your winning design from the marketplace.
Please always feel free to let us know what you think by emailing us.