Tea Towel Calendar
We've been counting down the days and it's finally tea towel calendar time again! Out of almost 300 entries, you voted on the 10 most beautiful calendars and the results are in. Congratulations to first-time winner and North Carolina based designer Jayme Hennel for her lovely "2016 Citrus Tea Towel-Navy" design! Marvel at all the top 10 winners and don't forget to check out our Facebook page today to see photos of all the finished tea towels printed on Linen Cotton Canvas!
450 votes for 2016 Citrus Tea Towel – Navy by jaymehennel
2. 431 votes for 2016 Tea Towel Calendar-Let Your Soul Blossom and Grow_dark by groovity
3. 411 votes for Succulents 2016 Tea Towel Calendar by nadiahassan
4. 387 votes for Hello Fox, Hello Squirrel 2016 Tea Towel by creativetaylor
5. 365 votes for 2016 Peacock Tea Towel Calendar by Andrea Lauren by andrea_lauren
6. 361 votes for 2016 A day in the forest by vo_aka_virginiao
7. 340 votes for my family tree 2016 calendar by doodleandhoob
8. 326 votes for 2016 garden calendar by cjldesigns
9. 325 votes for Another Year, Another Circus! by mariaspeyer
10. 324 votes for 2016 Raven Tea Towel Calendar by mariafaithgarcia
Congrats To Tea-Towel Calendar Winner Cynthia Frenette
The winner of our tea-towel calendar contest is Canadian designer and longtime Spoonflower community member Cynthia Frenette of Green Couch Designs. Her '2011 Birdies,' which fits nicely onto a fat quarter of any of our fabrics, won the most votes from a grCoup of terrific entries and would make a great, easy-to-sew gift for the holidays.
Thank you to all the great designers who participated! I hope you're all planning to make your towel patterns available for sale. [Psst… Don't forget to set them up as 'centered'!]
The final votes were:
1. 922 votes for 2011 Birdies by cynthiafrenette
2. 747 votes for 2011 Tea Towel Calendar by pennycandy
3. 691 votes for Hello 2011 by valentinaramos
4. 642 votes for Four Seasons by snowflower
5. 620 votes for Fridge Monsters by pikoti
6. 617 votes for sweet-year-tree-2011 by lisaekstrom
7. 571 votes for a year in the city by francine
8. 548 votes for "au fil des saisons 2011" by nadja_p
9. 545 votes for Let's bake a big cake for 2011! by bora
10. 538 votes for garland 2011 calendar towel by monmeehan
The voting for our hotly anticipated contest for 2011 tea-towel calendar designs starts on Thursday. Latecomers, you have until the end of the day Tuesday (Nov. 2) to enter a design, which must fit onto a fat quarter of quilting-weight fabric (21 inches by 18 inches).
Note that while our contest previews show the designs at 21" wide by 18" tall, you can design your calendar for either dimension. If the preview shows it sideways, voters will still know that the printed fabric is meant to hang vertically. This was a fun contest last time around and tea-towels (which need not be printed on quilting-weight cotton) make terrific gifts.
[Check out Danielle Hanson's winning calendar from last year.]
Upcoming contests announced so far include a 1-yard pattern contest for Christmas stockings as well as a candle fabric contest. Before either of those, we've also got a Celebrity Fabric Design Smackdown to look forward to!
For any of you who would like to create your own tea-towel calendar and who lack either the time or expertise to make one from scratch, here is a calendar template you can download and use with one of your own design images. Click to download the full-size version. [also: Download htm file (editable in Word) or download a rasterized Photoshop file]
By way of an example, below is a fun calendar I made using photos of contest fabrics as a background (compiled using the ‘collage’ feature of Picnik), and inserting a semi-transparent layer between the calendar text and the photos. I wouldn’t offer this to anyone else, of course, without securing permission from the designers of the various pictured fabrics, but it’s a fun idea.