You know those neat, crisp corners on quilts and professionally sewn napkins that you look at and say “I could never do that?” You’re not alone; we’ve been there! We’re pleased to report that mastering mitered corners is easier than you may think, especially when you’ve got the right fabric. Our brand new Lightweight Cotton Twill (perfect for reusable napkins and table linens) has just enough structure to make crisp corners, but is light enough to be easy breezy to work with. It prints vibrantly and is brilliantly wash fast, so your new napkins will hold up. Follow along as we reveal the secret to sewing crisp, perfect mitered corners.
We are over the moon about the launch of Lightweight Cotton Twill, and we knew just what we wanted to make with it: aprons with jumbo pockets and pretty gathers. Well that, and about a zillion other things! This half apron is sure to help you out with all your 2017 goals from cooking more, crafting more, and sewing all the things. Read along as we walk you through each step of this simple sewing project using Lightweight Cotton Twill.
Congrats to champion Virginia O on her green-tastic winning design! In celebration of both “National Hobby Month” and the release of the new color of the year, Greenery, we had designers take up the challenge of creating a sewing themed surface design using only Greenery, black / white and a color of their choice. As usual, they rose to the challenge and came up with some truly amazing designs! Shop the entire top 10 here: http://bit.ly/2iMvMlz
1. 399 votes for Mosaic Sewing Notions by vo_aka_virginiao
2. 221 votes for Garden of Sewing Supplies by dianef
3. 211 votes for Hand-sewn Succulents Celebrating Greenery by honoluludesign
4. 207 votes for Thread Garden by jenimp
5. 192 votes for Notion to sew by ebygomm
6. 190 votes for Greenery-Sewing by calendulaandtape
7. 189 votes for pins and needles by scrummy
8. 174 votes for Boro by Friztin by friztin
9. 168 votes for Sewing Wonderland by ollyka
10. 167 votes for Sewing Fancy Tatts by cynthiafrenette [Read more…] about Limited Color Palette Sewing Winners
Take a break from decking the halls by decking out your family in these holiday jammies. These comfy bottoms will turn even the the biggest bah-humbug into a Holiday Cheermeister. Whether you’re dressing up for holiday pictures or cuddling up around the tree, PJs are a must. Check out the instructions below–we’re using Sprout Patterns’ Jasper pattern (for the guy in your life), but check out the Lucy pattern for a slimmer, ladies cut, and the Baby Leggings pattern for little ones. You can even get a coat for the dog! Love the look but hate sewing? Check out Sprout’s White Glove service, to get a professional to stitch up your jammies for a little bit extra.
If you’re more of a visual learner, click here to watch the video tutorial as Spoonflower team member Tim stitches up a custom pair in no time!
What you’ll need for the project:
- Your Sprout Patterns Jasper pattern
- Twill tape or elastic for the waistband /drawstring
- Measuring tape
- Sewing machine and/or serger
- Front pant leg (2)
- Back pant leg (2)
- Waistband (2)
- Fly facing
Let the tutorial begin!
Did you know that January is National Hobby Month? As the new year begins, we all set new goals and refocus on learning new things, improving, and challenging ourselves with hobbies. Here at Spoonflower, we are proud to enable your hobbies whether that’s design, sewing, or both! To celebrate, we’re launching a design challenge each week that’s inspired by a different creative hobby (with a twist, of course). Are you up for the challenge?
Limited Color Palette Sewing
As most designers are already well aware, Pantone has released their highly anticipated color of the year — Greenery! We knew we had to pay homage to this rejuvenating tone by including it in a limited color palette contest featuring sewing (our favorite hobby of course). For the first time ever, we’re putting a twist on the limited palette restriction by allowing designers one color of their choosing! So choose wisely, folks! Download an ASE file of Greenery color palettes here to help you get started or refer to the Color of the Year standards page.
Please use only hex values #88B04B (Greenery), #FFFFFF or #000000 (black, white or both) and ONE color of your choice. Only the full opacity of greenery and black will be permitted. In fairness to those who adhere to the rules, we will be notifying designers and removing entries that include more than the permitted colors, or that use the colors incorrectly. Entries will be previewed at the fat quarter size: 21″ x 18.” Submissions close December 27 at 3 p.m. Eastern, Voting begins December 29.
Big congrats to Cynthia Frenette, who has been killing it with our Design Challenges lately! Her design, “For the Love of Spoonflower” was both our popularly voted first place winner, and the design Spoonflower employees internally voted as our pick for our new 2017 t-shirts! Cynthia will receive $500 in cold hard cash, $250 Spoondollar credit and a free t-shirt printed with her winning design. The design itself may continue to be available for sale in the Marketplace where she will earn up to a 15% commission. Congratulations to Cynthia, and to the entire amazingly crafty and wonderful top 10 who will also be taking home some amazing prizes including Videri chocolate!
1. 306 votes for For the Love of Spoonflower by cynthiafrenette
2. 301 votes for create and grow by cjldesigns
3. 277 votes for Spoonflower Makers Make! by vo_aka_virginiao
4. 262 votes for spoonflower by gaiamarfurt
5. 232 votes for Design Sew Create Spoonflower TShirt Typography White Aqua Green by heatherdutton
6. 212 votes for Spoonflower: Ignite the Spark T-Shirt by pennycandy
7. 209 votes for Sew Vintage // by petite_circus // sewing machine black and white by petite_circus
8. 197 votes for The Craftroom by jenimp
9. 187 votes for Periodic Table of Spoonflower by sew-me-a-garden
10. 179 votes for Happiness is Spoonflower by designs_by_lisa_k
[Read more…] about Announcing the Winner of our Spoonflower T-Shirt Challenge!
Today, a local business owner here in Durham, Annie Franceschi, stops by the blog to share how she used Spoonflower to create the perfect custom pashmina to commemorate the three year anniversary of her business, Greatest Story Creative. Learn how she did it and how you can apply the same technique to celebrate the next big event in your life!
My name is Annie Franceschi – I’m the Owner and Creative Director of Greatest Story Creative – a Durham, NC-based branding agency that helps you tell your story in your business and your life. Some say you can wear your heart on your sleeve, in this post – I’d like to tell you how I figured out how to wear my business!
I’m celebrating three years in business and I was planning a party with clients and friends. For the party, I knew I wanted to do something special to commemorate the history of the business and everything I’ve learned from it so far as an entrepreneur. Since what I do is so much about telling people’s stories, I thought it’d be great to create a dress with snippets of those stories. But then I realized, I’d rarely wear something like that again. Then it hit me: a pashmina! [Read more…] about The Business Idea You’ll Want to Steal: Telling A Story with a Scarf
Congratulations to Graceful with her speakeasy-style design, The Sidecar! She will receive will receive a Maran slipper chair from Roostery upholstered with Eco Canvas in a design of her choice ($469 value).
The rest of the top ten winners will receive one custom Orpington tea towel in their own winning design from Roostery ($17 value). Designs voted into the top 11-25 will be automatically be proofed and made available for sale in the Spoonflower Marketplace ($5 value). The top 25 will have their designs automatically made for sale in the Marketplace – $5.00 value!
1. 332 votes for The Sidecar by graceful
2. 323 votes for Bottles & Glasses *SpeakEasy Style by juliesfabrics
3. 315 votes for flapperfaces by joslynndowd
4. 307 votes for Speakeasy Special by robyriker
5. 304 votes for Have a Drink On Me by cynthiafrenette
6. 297 votes for Prohibition Cocktails by grace_andersson
7. 286 votes for Your Mother and I Met at the Speakeasy by edsel2084
8. 272 votes for The_Cocktail_Hour by j9design
9. 244 votes for cocktailgirls by gaiamarfurt
10. 208 votes for Hotsy Totsy! This Joint is Jumpin’ by vo_aka_virginiao [Read more…] about Announcing the Winners of our Prohibition Cocktails Design Challenge
Something about dropping temperatures, the smell of mulled spices and the orangey, golden hues painting the trees this time of year gets us in the mood to make aaaaaaaall the crafty things. Whether it’s sprucing up the home with an autumnal refresh, or a new cut-and-sew Halloween mask to spook the trick-or-treaters, we’ve found every Halloween craft under the Harvest moon for you to make this fall!
1. Cut and Sew Vintage Halloween Treat Bags
DIY Vintage-inspired treat bags? Yes, please. See the tutorial here.
Welcome back to part two of our Alison swimsuit sew along with Sport Lycra! This type of fabric is just perfect to use for sewing up your own swimwear, and the Alison swimsuit sewing pattern is a great option since it is a one piece and can really show off the awesome print you chose for your fabric!
We left off last time in part 1 of the Alison Swimsuit Sew Along sewing the crotch seams together, and now it’s time to finish off the rest of the bodice. Grab your bust piece since we will be starting there.