It's a big day for our Fabric Of the Week contest. This past week's Medieval theme was our 75th contest, and by winning handily with her lovely Stained Glass Rose design, SammyK becomes the first designer ever to win four of our competitions. I love this for a number of reasons:
1) While Samarra is a talented and experienced artist, her experiments with fabric design have come about entirely as a result of her participation in the Spoonflower community. She obviously has terrific talent as a textile designer, but without the support and encouragement of you all — her peers — she might never have discovered this fact.
2) In the description on the winning design, SammyK makes it clear — in a funny and self-deprecating way — that she's a big nerd on the topic of the Middle Ages. While there were loads of lovely designs in this round of voting, you've got to appreciate the collision of nerdy passion and creative talent that made this design the winner. From a social standpoint, one of the things I love most about the Internet is the way it facilitates connections between people and their various — sometimes obscure — passions.
3) Because of the special circumstances — having won two contests in a row — SammyK has requested that instead of awarding her the usual $100 in Spoondollar credit, we instead donate $100 on her behalf to an organization that holds a special place in her heart, the Kindred Spirits
Animal Sanctuary of New Mexico, a hospice that provides end-of-life care for unwanted dogs, horses and
poultry in the beautiful landscape of New Mexico. [Note that Samarra is the former creative director of the ASPCA.] We're very pleased to have a chance to do this.
For any of you who are feeling daunted, please keep in mind that Samarra and the other designers who won previously have also entered loads of contests in which they've lost. The contest itself — lest we get hung up on the competition aspect of it — is meant to provide a structure for inspiring and motivating a community of people who share an enthusiasm for fabric to think and work creatively. In that respect, I think we all win every week.
The voting results, by the numbers:
1. 1064 votes for Stained
Glass Rose Windows by sammyk
2. 754 votes for Turrets Syndrome by
3. 572 votes for cavalerie by mahell
4. 568 votes for MedievalCalendar by
5. 559 votes for medieval_bestiary by
6. 529 votes for Knight, Knight by
7. 491 votes for la_demoiselle_aux_lapins
8. 467 votes for MyMedieval by nyteaqueen
9. 462 votes for Pale Blue Medieval
Repeat by poetryqn
10. 461 votes for Medieval by jadegordon