Día de Muertos (Mexico’s Day of the Dead) kicks off on October 31st and rages on until November 2nd. Traditionally, southern and central Mexicans would celebrate & honor the deceased with sugar skulls (or calaveras) made of brightly colored sweets and flowers. We asked designers to interpret the iconic and sweetly macabre calavera last week. Browse their designs below, and get a jump on October’s renewed Weekly Design Challenges!
Spoonflower has the sweetest Halloween fabric around. Your votes took Lusyspoon’s colorful design straight to the top in the Calaveras Design Challenge. If you can’t wait for tomorrow’s sugar rush, feast your eyes on these candy skulls and get ready for a night of trick-or-treating!
Here are the voting results:
1. 667 votes for calavares_colour_small by lusyspoon
2. 541 votes for Dia de los Muertos by jennartdesigns
3. 404 votes for las calaveras print by yuliussdesign_com
4. 379 votes for CALAVERAS by katerhees
5. 379 votes for Calaveras_celebración del Color y Blanco_Grande by robinpickens
6. 378 votes for Funny cemetery. by panova
7. 374 votes for La Galeria de los Muertos by celiaforrester
8. 360 votes for Sugar Skull Damask by dianne_annelli
9. 349 votes for Bright Calaveras Damask by kirstensevig
10. 332 votes for Dia de los Muertos by juliesfabrics