We love seeing what our creative community around the world is making and our friends in the UK never disappoint. Here’s a look at seven incredible DIYs whipped up using Spoonflower fabrics (printed and shipped from our factory in Berlin!) by a handful of our favorite British crafters and just in time for Me Made May.
Heading into summer is a great time to take a break and reflect on the goals you set at the start of the year. If better self-care was at the top of your list, what better way to stay motivated and mindful than with a handmade yoga bolster. Spoonflower Berlin crew member Allie is visiting the blog today to share how she whipped up a pattern-blocked bolster to take her practice to the next level using Fill-a-Yard® and Dogwood Denim™!
Celebrate the holiday season by transforming a family recipe into the perfect gift using Emma Jeffery’s tried and true Handwritten Recipe Tea Towel Tutorial. Spoonflower Berlin crew member Maria shares how she put a German twist on this project using her father’s Stollen recipe in the next installment of our Handmade Holiday Blog Hop!
Maria: Every holiday season I look forward to time spent with my family. While my home in Berlin is only a couple hours north of Dresden, where my parents live, heading home for Christmas is always the most special trip. The excitement that was once filled with gifts and surprises has now been replaced with simple traditions I look forward to year round. My favorite being a slice of my dad’s Stollen, a recipe he only makes once a year. Stollen is a traditional German bread containing dried fruit topped with sugar or icing meant to resemble Jesus as a baby wrapped in swaddling cloths. And while I might be a bit bias, my dad makes the best Stollen! This is my first Christmas working at Spoonflower and after seeing the original recipe tea towel I knew I had to make one for my dad for Christmas. Follow along to learn how to whip one up for your friends and family this holiday season! [Read more…] about A German Take on the Classic Recipe Tea Towel
We always love it when we get to congratulate FIRST-TIME winners! Hip hip hooray for Sarah Treu of Utah! Sarah is an illustrator who specializes in surface design and children’s books. She loves creating, writing, crafting, sunshine and trails. Congratulations, Sarah! Her bright and colorful Blossoms and Butterflies Mosaics stole your hearts with 461 votes in total. Sarah will receive $200 in Spoonflower credit. Our 2nd place winner, Lisa K, will receive $100, and the 3rd place winner, Weavingmajor, will receive $50 in Spoondollars. The rest of the top 10 winners will receive $20 in Spoonflower credit. The top 25 popularly voted designs (provided the designers are already verified sellers) will be automatically made available for sale in the Marketplace where they will receive 10% commission on every sale — no $5.00 swatch required. Congrats again to all! See the entire top 10 here.
1. 461 votes for Blossoms and Butterflies Mosaic by sarah_treu
2. 451 votes for Orange Blossom Mosaic by designs_by_lisa_k
3. 407 votes for wave mosaic – navy, teal, white by weavingmajor
4. 397 votes for Koi Fish by torysevas
5. 376 votes for The Lemon Tree by mag-o
6. 355 votes for sea mosaic by vo_aka_virginiao
7. 327 votes for Mosaic Cranes by hollybender
8. 314 votes for mosaic spirits by gaiamarfurt
9. 309 votes for Peacock by chicca_besso
[Read more…] about Announcing the Mosaic Design Challenge Winners
It’s not every day that you get to meet a designer who lives on the Isle of Man. Vicky Webb (crumpetsandcrabsticks) designs from atop a hill overlooking the quay in the Isle of Man’s capital, Douglas. The picturesque island is nestled between England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales. Keep reading to learn about Vicky’s sources of inspiration and all the tools she has in her designer tool box!
Your design should now be finalized and ready to upload. Not ready yet? That’s okay — you can catch up with us here. Uploading images to Spoonflower is super simple! Once a file is uploaded to our site, you will find several ways to continue tweaking your design. Today we’ll focus on walking step by step through the upload process, highlighting our handy design tools and features along the way.
We created the design above using free high-res Photoshop brushes we downloaded from Brusheezy. The file was saved out of Photoshop as a JPG, 150 DPI, 720 x 600 pixels. The only thing you’ll need to follow along is a digital file that meets the Spoonflower image requirements. Got one? Great, just log into your Spoonflower account (or create one here if you do not already have an account), and let’s upload our designs! Here’s how it works: [Read more…] about 12 Days of Design: Day 8 Upload Your Design
Congrats to champion Virginia O on her green-tastic winning design! In celebration of both “National Hobby Month” and the release of the new color of the year, Greenery, we had designers take up the challenge of creating a sewing themed surface design using only Greenery, black / white and a color of their choice. As usual, they rose to the challenge and came up with some truly amazing designs! Shop the entire top 10 here: http://bit.ly/2iMvMlz
1. 399 votes for Mosaic Sewing Notions by vo_aka_virginiao
2. 221 votes for Garden of Sewing Supplies by dianef
3. 211 votes for Hand-sewn Succulents Celebrating Greenery by honoluludesign
4. 207 votes for Thread Garden by jenimp
5. 192 votes for Notion to sew by ebygomm
6. 190 votes for Greenery-Sewing by calendulaandtape
7. 189 votes for pins and needles by scrummy
8. 174 votes for Boro by Friztin by friztin
9. 168 votes for Sewing Wonderland by ollyka
10. 167 votes for Sewing Fancy Tatts by cynthiafrenette [Read more…] about Limited Color Palette Sewing Winners
It may as well be an International Holiday for designers everywhere: The release day of Pantone’s Color of the Year. Always on trend and (perhaps) even ahead of the trend, Pantone has chosen a fresh, spring green as their heralded hue. Love it or hate it, “Greenery” is about to have its day in the sun and you may just start seeing Pantone 15-0343 everywhere. We’ve rounded up our favorite leafy green hued designs from the Spoonflower Marketplace below. Just tap each image to shop the designs on fabric, wallpaper and gift wrap. Not a huge fan of greenery? Just give it some time, it just might grow on you.
Big congrats to Cynthia Frenette, who has been killing it with our Design Challenges lately! Her design, “For the Love of Spoonflower” was both our popularly voted first place winner, and the design Spoonflower employees internally voted as our pick for our new 2017 t-shirts! Cynthia will receive $500 in cold hard cash, $250 Spoondollar credit and a free t-shirt printed with her winning design. The design itself may continue to be available for sale in the Marketplace where she will earn up to a 15% commission. Congratulations to Cynthia, and to the entire amazingly crafty and wonderful top 10 who will also be taking home some amazing prizes including Videri chocolate!
1. 306 votes for For the Love of Spoonflower by cynthiafrenette
2. 301 votes for create and grow by cjldesigns
3. 277 votes for Spoonflower Makers Make! by vo_aka_virginiao
4. 262 votes for spoonflower by gaiamarfurt
5. 232 votes for Design Sew Create Spoonflower TShirt Typography White Aqua Green by heatherdutton
6. 212 votes for Spoonflower: Ignite the Spark T-Shirt by pennycandy
7. 209 votes for Sew Vintage // by petite_circus // sewing machine black and white by petite_circus
8. 197 votes for The Craftroom by jenimp
9. 187 votes for Periodic Table of Spoonflower by sew-me-a-garden
10. 179 votes for Happiness is Spoonflower by designs_by_lisa_k
[Read more…] about Announcing the Winner of our Spoonflower T-Shirt Challenge!