In honor of Australia Day on January 26th, Spoonflower designers invite you to take a trip through Australia's most beautiful cities through lovely surface patterns. From Perth to Brisbane, enjoy this cross-continental tour.
We are so excited to partner with Urban Threads to help add a new embroidery pattern to their amazingly fresh and offbeat library of designs!
Urban Threads, creators of beautiful machine and hand embroidery patterns, love offering coordinating fabrics for their embroidery patterns–their Spoonflower shop features tons of “fabric designs to rock your embroidery,” in fact! Together, we’re giving you the opportunity to design a Steampunk Valentine themed fabric, and they will create a coordinating embroidery pattern for the winning design!
WHO: Spoonflower and Urban Threads are teaming up for a very special fabric design challenge.
WHAT: Our Steampunk Valentine Design Challenge seeks designs from which a lovely Steampunk Valentine’s themed embroidery pattern can be adapted by Urban Threads. The winner of this contest will work with Urban Threads to create an embroidery pattern to coordinate with their fabric design. We’re not designing embroidery patterns to be stitched in this contest, but patterns with a Steampunk Valentine theme that can be adapted to have accompanying embroidery elements offered through Urban Threads. Check out their handy Style Guide here for a full explanation of the types of designs that work well as embroidery coordinates. The good folks at Urban Threads will choose one winner from the top ten vote getting designs. The winner will receive a $100 cash prize from Urban Threads, and all top designers will receive $50 in Spoondollar credit.
WHEN: The design deadline is February 3, 2015. Voting will take place February 5 – February 11, 2015. The top ten designs and the four winners will be announced on February 12, 2015. The final embroidery pattern will be offered by Urban Threads in the coming months.
HOW: To enter, create your own Spoonflower account, upload an original fabric design to the account, and enter the design in the Steampunk Valentine Embroidery Coordinate contest using the drop-down menu for entering contests. Designs should be created especially for this contest, and all artwork must be your original work and should not include clip art or other available Valentine’s Day-themed artwork. A note about your design file: Urban Threads will need a high resolution jpg (at least 300 dpi and letter size) or a vector file to create the resulting embroidery pattern. We encourage you to prepare your original file for this, but you should create a copy of your file saved to 150 dpi to upload to Spoonflower. Your Spoonflower preview will be viewed at 150 dpi in a fat-quarter size (21” x 18”).
See the full details and official rules here.
We love blending art and technology together here at Spoonflower, which is why we are particularly excited about seeing math designs on fabric in this week's contest. Tell us who created the most beautiful equation and deserves a spot in next week's top 10.
Robin Pickens' prima ballerina fabric won top prize in our Nutcracker Design Challenge. Her twirling tutus left us breathless. Head over to the Spoonflower site to see who else made it into the top 10.
The final results:
1. 697 votes for Clara's Nutcracker Ballet_Lg by robinpickens
2. 535 votes for The Nutcracker (in Slate) by nouveau_bohemian
3. 504 votes for Nutcracker Ballet – by Andrea Lauren by andrea_lauren
4. 484 votes for Festive Nutcracker blue on white by cjldesigns
5. 408 votes for the nutcracker in cream by oliveandruby
6. 407 votes for Nutcracker by susan_polston
7. 402 votes for Nutcracker Cheater Quilt by christinewitte
8. 361 votes for Der Nussknacker! by mirjamauno
9. 349 votes for Nutcracker Ornaments by lisakubenez
10. 307 votes for Nutcracker by meg_smith_creative
11. 289 votes for Christmas with Nutcrackers by vo_aka_virginiao
12. 264 votes for The Nutcracker by scrummy
13. 262 votes for Nutcracker Figurines Set by vannina
14. 245 votes for A Nutcracker Christmas! by pattyryboltdesigns
15. 226 votes for nutcracker by sanneteloo
16. 204 votes for Nutcracker by heleenvanbuul
17. 202 votes for Nutracker Toy Theatre by paula's_designs
18. 201 votes for Nutty Nutcracker by tonia_dee
19. 201 votes for sweet dreams! by fable_design
20. 201 votes for Dancing in the Enchanted Forest by megtannahill
21. 192 votes for Nutcracker holiday by kimmurton
22. 182 votes for Nutcrackers by lunastone
23. 181 votes for Casse_noisette by lisahilda
24. 168 votes for Nutcracker by Friztin by friztin
25. 147 votes for Spoonflower_contest by oakleigh&sam
26. 144 votes for NutcrackerCell-01-01 by bibliosophy
27. 137 votes for Nutcracker doodles by beesocks
28. 134 votes for the_nutcracker by gemmacosgrove-ball
29. 131 votes for let's get crackin by annaboo
30. 128 votes for Land of Sweets by graceful
31. 120 votes for The Nutcracker, by Tchaikovsky by mrshervi
32. 119 votes for NUTCRACKER_SugarPlum_set by peppermintpatty
33. 119 votes for clara's dream by jillodesigns
34. 115 votes for Nutcracker Fantasy Ballet by glindabunny
35. 113 votes for nutcracker_pattern1 by thorina
36. 112 votes for Dance the Nutcracker by lvohamilton
37. 111 votes for The Nutcracker: Cast Silhouette by colour_angel
38. 104 votes for Nutcracker by spruceandsea
39. 99 votes for The Nutcracker by inniv8z_oz
40. 99 votes for The Nutcracker Sketched in Pastels by alicefrenz
41. 97 votes for The Nutcracker Ballet by canterlanedesign
42. 95 votes for nutcracker_print by coloredbycass
43. 93 votes for dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy by kociara
44. 92 votes for mouse army by mongiesama
45. 91 votes for Nutcracker – © Lucinda Wei by simboko
46. 91 votes for 12 cast of nutcracker by sef
47. 90 votes for Nutcracker by kellyprimitives
48. 85 votes for The Original King Nutcracker v2 by emmie_norfolk
49. 85 votes for Nutcracker Prince Red and Gold by pond_ripple
50. 82 votes for The Suite by firedryad1
51. 80 votes for nutcracker by castl3t0n
52. 79 votes for Nutcracker by sjagiello
53. 78 votes for pink tulle by weavingmajor
54. 78 votes for the Nutcracker scene two by nathalie_hunter
55. 74 votes for Winter Sage Nutcracker Pattern by dogwoodfinch
56. 72 votes for fleury by izcolorfuluniverse
57. 69 votes for The_NutCracker by yazooky
58. 65 votes for cuento_de_navidad by carmenlafarga
59. 65 votes for Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy by reneechristine
60. 61 votes for yuletide by bobo1325
61. 59 votes for the utcracker by texaslizzy
62. 59 votes for Sugarplum Fairy II by vasonaarts
63. 56 votes for Nutcracker Ballet Dolls by eppiepeppercorn
64. 55 votes for Nutcracker by andi_gruber_design
65. 52 votes for Nutcracker by super_nora
66. 51 votes for Nutcracker – Waltz of the Snowflakes by elramsay
67. 46 votes for The Nutcracker (deef!) by amy_g
68. 44 votes for Serried ranks by mimihammill
69. 44 votes for Nutcracker Dream by annesartnl
70. 42 votes for A Nutcracker Parade by robyriker
71. 39 votes for Nutcracker_FabiC by fabic
72. 39 votes for Le Ballet by orangefancy
73. 39 votes for DANCES WITH STARS by bluevelvet
74. 38 votes for ballerina poster-ch by bananana
75. 37 votes for fabric_nutcracker by robbiea
76. 37 votes for
crackin me up by graciasbear
77. 35 votes for Nutcracker by mirandacc12
78. 32 votes for Pas_De_Duck_Green_7 by jenoiserie
79. 31 votes for Nutcracker by svaeth
80. 31 votes for Night Time Nutcracker by slumbermonkey
81. 31 votes for Sugared Almonds by spellstone
82. 30 votes for Nutcracker_A1 light by ruthjohanna
83. 29 votes for nutcracker by squilliam
84. 28 votes for Nutcracker_print by katesbeads
85. 28 votes for Nutcracker by wiccked
86. 27 votes for Nutcracker Suite Christmas by gazeofdolls
87. 27 votes for Nutcracker by kaseymargaret
88. 26 votes for nutcracker by bruxamagica
89. 26 votes for Holiday Squirrels by iliketodraw
90. 25 votes for nutcracker by glimmericks
91. 25 votes for Nutcracker1 by danielle_bettina
92. 23 votes for nutcracker by brigete
93. 22 votes for the next generation nutcrackers by van_winkle
94. 21 votes for Mr. Nutty by missjazzy
95. 20 votes for Sugarplum Fairy by chantal_pare
96. 19 votes for Nutcracker Prince by bobgreenwade
97. 19 votes for Old Nut Crackers by sillasart
98. 19 votes for Nutcrackers-princess-grossf by tink-a-bel
99. 18 votes for Sugar_Plum_Music2 by b2b
100. 18 votes for Kitten and The Nutcracker by meow_and_craft
101. 18 votes for Ballerinas by marinamolares
102. 17 votes for Nutcracker Present by drapestudio
103. 16 votes for Sugar Plum Fairy by jennifurryrabbit
104. 15 votes for Flying to the Nutcracker Auditions!! (large repeat) by anniedeb
105. 15 votes for Nutcracker by athomewitharwen
106. 15 votes for Nutcracker by abstractionsbyronda
107. 15 votes for Nutcracker ballet by gabriellemutel
108. 14 votes for There's a nutcracker in my tree ! by chovy
109. 13 votes for Holiday Nutcrackers by lorileidig
110. 12 votes for nutcracker X ballerina by yaney
111. 12 votes for Kitcracker by menny
112. 12 votes for You're invited to Clara's recital by karenharveycox
113. 10 votes for Pointe by annie_stine
114. 10 votes for nutcracker by amy_isis
115. 9 votes for harlequindolls by beverly_brill
116. 9 votes for Box Ballerina by cookiedog
117. 9 votes for Ballet tools by raquelklepacz
118. 8 votes for Tchaikovsky' s Nutcracker Snow Menagerie by aindreemcg
119. 8 votes for sugarplumbballetnutcracker by megan_marcus
120. 8 votes for Dancing Toasters 2 by toaster
121. 8 votes for wonderous__7_ by zaspruced
122. 6 votes for The Land Of Sweets! by winterblossom
123. 5 votes for Eva_s_spoonflower-ed-ed by eves_
124. 5 votes for Dreams by maevalentine
125. 5 votes for Nutcracker in Woods by pilaralfaro
126. 2 votes for Crackerjack Rabbit Does Nutcracker by papertrips
We always look forward to the day we get our treasure box of ornaments out of the closet to decorate the Christmas tree. Browsing this week’s contest is a lot like that sweet nostalgic moment: colorful and crazy, sweet and traditional, this contest is full of beautiful designs. Pick your favorite ornament gift wrap!
We're celebrating Day of the Dead and All Souls Day with traditional sugar skulls, called calaveras. Take a few minutes and vote for your favorite!
You may recognize this week’s winner: Andie was the 2012 Fabric8 contest champion! From fashion to fabric design, she can do it all. You chose her brightly patterned backpack fabric to top this week’s contest. Don’t miss the rest of our super smart designs!
Here are your voting results:
1. 337 votes for Back-pack_to_School by anderson_lee
2. 312 votes for MonstersGotoSchool_Mayes_copy by laura_mayes
3. 280 votes for backpack woodland style by laura_the_drawer
4. 279 votes for Backpacks by mariaspeyer
5. 261 votes for Bike Books Backpack by katerhees
6. 260 votes for School Daydreams by belinda_sigs
7. 254 votes for polka dot backpacks by catalinakim
8. 226 votes for Recent Arrivals by christinewitte
9. 222 votes for We’re All In This Together by runningriver
10. 221 votes for Backpacks in the Cottage by thepaperdrawer
It’s good to have a few tricks up your sleeve when you find yourself in a pinch, and for sewists, it’s their box of sewing notions! The perfect tool or button can really make or break a project, so this week we’re celebrating the art of sewing with an extra special coordinates Design Challenge featuring our favorite notions.
You pick the top ten, and our special guest judge Denyse Schmidt will pick a winner to be featured in an upcoming issue of Love Patchwork and Quilting magazine! So what are you waiting for? Cast your vote now.
WHAT: Everyone has a little something that helps them when they get in a pinch, and for the sewist, it’s their box of sewing notions! The perfect tool or button can really make or break a project, so let’s celebrate the art of sewing with this week’s extra special coordinates Design Challenge! Guest judge Denyse Schmidt, designer, quilter and author, will pick a winner from the top ten community voted designs to be featured on the pages of an upcoming issue of Love Patchwork & Quilting! Please create four sewing notions-inspired coordinating prints sized to fit on one yard. Previews will be sized as a yard (42″ x 36″).
WHEN: The design deadline is June 24,2014. Voting will take place June 26 – July 2, 2014. The top ten designs and winner will be announced on July 3, 2014.
HOW: To enter, create your own Spoonflower account, upload an original fabric design to the account (sized at 150 dpi and using one of the accepted file formats), and then enter the design in the Sewing Notions contest using the drop-down menu for entering contests. See official rules below for details.
Who can enter?
This contest is open to ALL Spoonflower community members.
How many designs can I enter?
You can enter only ONE DESIGN in each contest. Designs entered in previous Spoonflower contests are not eligible. Designs already licensed for reproduction on fabric with other companies are not eligible.
Who can vote?
Anyone can vote (when voting opens on June 26), but only one set of votes may be submitted per individual. Duplicate votes are filtered using fraud detection software and not counted toward final totals.
What if I don’t want my design to be purchased by other people?
We do not allow voting on or sell any designs without explicit permission from its creator. By participating in this contest, you are granting permission to make your design available to the public for voting and sale non-exclusively if your design finishes in the top 10.
Am I giving up the copyright of my design by entering it?
You are not giving up ownership of your design, but by entering your design in the contest, you give us the non-exclusive right, should your design finish in the top ten, to make it available for sale in the Spoonflower Marketplace per the customary terms of the Spoonflower Marketplace. For any sales generated in the Marketplace, you will receive up to 15% commission. You will always be credited for your design and you are free to continue to sell it on your own, now and in the future.