In February 2018, Memphis Brooks Museum of Art in Tennessee is bringing the Fowler Museum’s exhibition African-Print Fashion Now! to the South. Visitors will be introduced to the dynamic traditions of African dress featuring colorful, boldly patterned printed cloth, through an inspiring and mesmerizing traveling exhibition. To celebrate the opening of their newest exhibition, we’ve partnered with the Brooks for January’s African Art design challenge and today, we’re so pleased to welcome Karen Davis, Communications Manager at Brooks to share more about the upcoming exhibition to inspire your design challenge entry.
The Spoonflower community is a melting pot of designers from all over the world and during January’s design challenges, we’ll be celebrating this designer diversity with a sampler of five internationally inspired themes. We’ll be starting our adventure in Africa with a challenge welcoming the newest exhibition at the Memphis Brooks Museum of Art and ending our excursion in Japan honoring a traditional paper art technique. Pack your design tool box because it’s time for a design adventure!
African Art with the Memphis Brooks Museum of Art | Results Announced January 11
We’re slowing things down this week to celebrate Hygge (pronounced hoo-ga), a Danish concept that encapsulates the cozy feeling of contentment one gets from the simple things in life. Layer on your warmest pair of wool socks, grab a cup of hot tea and settle in to browse what designers found to be their most charmed hygge moments in time. Congratulations to grand prize winner groovity, who will be receiving a $200 Spoonflower credit for her design, Coffee Hygge. We also want to recognize second place (michaelzindell) and third place (micklyn) winners who will be receiving $100 and $50 in Spoonflower credit, respectively. Find your hygge essentials in the top ten.
1. 335 votes for Coffee Hygge by groovity
2. 294 votes for Scandinavian Hygge by michaelzindell
3. 280 votes for How to Hygge Like a Cat – large by micklyn
4. 257 votes for Winter by matite
5. 246 votes for cozy holiday by lynnbishopdesign
6. 235 votes for Autumn Hygge by meliszawang
7. 234 votes for higge by gaiamarfurt
8. 231 votes for The-Hygge-Homely-House by lydesign
9. 230 votes for Hygge Huggy Bears by robinpickens
10. 229 votes for Gettin Hygge With It by abbyhersey [Read more…] about Announcing the Hygge Design Challenge Winners
For this week’s challenge, designers have outdone themselves in the design test kitchen with their freshly baked gingerbread patterns just in time for the holiday season. We promise you’ll want to sample them all! Compliments to grand prize winner gaiamarfurt, who will be receiving a $200 Spoonflower credit for her design, Gingerbread-Blue. We’re also applauding second place (cynthiafrenette) and third place (scrummy) winners who will be receiving $100 and $50 in Spoonflower credit, respectively. Get sweet and find your favorite gumdrop gingerbread in the top ten.
1. 495 votes for gingerbread-blue by gaiamarfurt
2. 476 votes for Gingerbread Forest by cynthiafrenette
3. 412 votes for gingerbread town by scrummy
4. 382 votes for Gingerbread snowflakes / Christmas flowers by matite
5. 367 votes for Gingerbread Dreams – Aqua by heatherdutton
6. 358 votes for Gingerbread Snowflakes by torysevas
7. 354 votes for I Love Gingerbread ©Kirsten Katz by kirstenkatz
8. 351 votes for woodland gingerbread – black by mirabelleprint
9. 338 votes for Gingerbread Christmas Treats by run_quiltgirl_run
10. 301 votes for Gingerbread Tiles by jennifer_todd [Read more…] about Announcing the Gingerbread Design Challenge Winners
In celebration of Roostery’s recent bedding launch, we’re thinking B-I-G for our weekly design challenge! From deconstructed pops of color to fragments of dispersed light, designers were asked to create a large scale fragmentation design that would be the perfect addition to bedroom decor. Congratulations to grand prize winner mintedtulip, who will be receiving a $200 Spoonflower credit for her design, Large Gemstone Fragmentation. We’re also sharing the love with second place (scrummy) and third place (juliesfabrics) winners who will be receiving $100 and $50 in Spoonflower credit, respectively. Learn more about this special design challenge and see the entire top ten here.
1. 239 votes for Large Gemstone Fragmentation by mintedtulip
2. 188 votes for BROKEN large by scrummy
3. 178 votes for Fragmented Fox Horizontal yard by juliesfabrics
4. 176 votes for Moonlight Story (White) by boissindesign
5. 176 votes for pattern_large_scale_fragmentation by kostolom3000
6. 171 votes for Gold Fragments by heatherhightdesign
7. 169 votes for Sunlight on Water by vo_aka_virginiao
8. 167 votes for Waterfall M+M Navy Blue by Friztin by friztin
9. 163 votes for Poppies_Alive_LS by wildflowerfabrics
10. 158 votes for Fractal Flutter – Navy Dreams Extra Large Scale by heatherdutton [Read more…] about Announcing the Large Scale Fragmentation Challenge Winners
For this week’s design challenge, we’ve partnered with Lake, an interactive coloring app, to offer a unique spin on our usual prompts. This time, designers were asked to create black and white line art inspired by everyone’s favorite childhood activity: coloring books! Originally, the top 10 winners, chosen by Lake, were going to be a part of a special free Spoonflower coloring book pack coming out via the Lake app in January. The team at Lake were so impressed with the entires from this week’s challenge that the top 16 designs will be featured in the pack! But first, let’s start off by celebrating grand prize winner, dearchickie, who will be receiving a $200 Spoonflower credit for her design, Two Birds Hiding. Congratulations are also in order for second place (angelger28) and third place (torysevas) winners who will be receiving $100 and $50 in Spoonflower credit, respectively. Learn more about this special design challenge and see the entire top ten here.
iPhone users can get a head start by practicing their coloring skills by downloading the Lake app here.
1. 298 votes for Two Birds Hiding by dearchickie
2. 259 votes for Floral Coloring Book by angelger28
3. 257 votes for tweet by torysevas
4. 253 votes for Color Me Woodland Animals by sarah_treu
5. 244 votes for Enchanted Garden Coloring Book Floral – Black and White by heatherdutton
6. 242 votes for bookshelves by laura_may_designs
7. 236 votes for All The Mushrooms on White by paisleydrawrs
8. 236 votes for Doodle Garden by diseminger
9. 231 votes for Snowflakes coloring by olgart
10. 226 votes for Coloring Book – Stepped Gables by meowandcraft [Read more…] about Announcing the Lake Coloring Book Design Challenge Winners
December’s design challenge inspiration will test your creativity as we explore a wide range of themes. From four-legged friends to one-of-a-kind tattoos (and everything in between!), there’s bound to be something for every type of artist. Keep reading to find out which themes will pique your interest most (we hope all of them!) during December’s design challenge.
Year of the Dog / Results Announced December 14
What do you get when you mix the design and fashion style of the 1960s with the season of merriment and wonder? Why, the Winter Mod design challenge, of course! This week, designers were given a bold but limited color palette and were asked to channel a winter wonderland using sleek abstract shapes to create a repeating design inspired by the coldest time of the year. Join us in celebrating grand prize winner, gaiamarfurt, who will be receiving a $200 Spoonflower credit for her design, geometricwinter. We also want to congratulate second place (cjldesigns) and third place (jill_o_connor) winners who will be receiving $100 and $50 in Spoonflower credit, respectively. Feeling wintery inspiration? Then take a look at the entire top ten.
1. 350 votes for geometricwinter by gaiamarfurt
2. 340 votes for winter birds and frosted berries by cjldesigns
3. 292 votes for Winter Mod by jill_o_connor
4. 274 votes for Blue_Forest by torysevas
5. 273 votes for In a Winter Mod Mood by Friztin by friztin
6. 261 votes for Wild Wood by Mount Vic and Me by mountvicandme
7. 260 votes for ModWinter_Deer in the Moonlight by robinpickens
8. 259 votes for Snow at Night by nikijin
9. 234 votes for Collingwood – Decorated Deer by diane555
10. 230 votes for winter_mod_trees_sfc by mymagicmom [Read more…] about Announcing the Winter Mod Limited Color Palette Design Challenge Winners
After seeing this week’s Farm to Tea Towel design challenge entries, it’s no secret the Spoonflower community enjoys their daily dose of fruits and veggies! It gives us great pleasure to congratulate FIRST-TIME design challenge grand prize winner, jacquelinehurd, who will be receiving a $200 Spoonflower credit for her design Farm to Table. We also want to celebrate second place (cynthiafrenette) and third place (solnca_lych) winners who will be receiving $100 and $50 in Spoonflower credit, respectively. Ready for another serving of leafy greens? Then check out the rest of the top ten here, or let Roostery help you make the perfect gift for your favorite farmer by turning this week’s designs into ready-made tea towels, no sewing required!
1. 291 votes for Farm to Table by jacquelinehurd
2. 268 votes for Fresh from the Farmer’s Market by cynthiafrenette
3. 246 votes for Autumn harvest and hares teatowel by solnca_lych
4. 244 votes for Farm Fresh by lucindawei
5. 243 votes for Let food be thy medicine tea towel by natalia_gonzalez
6. 232 votes for Farmer’s Market Tea Towel by jill_o_connor
7. 224 votes for GardenVeggies_Repeat by joypaton
8. 221 votes for Watercolor carrot repeat by adenaj
9. 204 votes for homegrown by studiojenny
10. 203 votes for Fall Farmers Market by sarah_knight [Read more…] about Announcing the Farm to Tea Towel Design Challenge Winners
If your idea of fun is leisurely strolling your local parks and gardens on the weekends, then the Botanical Block Print design challenge is made especially for you! First up we want to congratulate grand prize winner, run_quiltgirl_run, who will be receiving a $200 Spoonflower credit for her design, Linocut Leaves and Petals. We also want to celebrate second place (kristenkatz) and third place (stefaniewithanf) winners who will be receiving $100 and $50 in Spoonflower credit, respectively. Ready to create your own conservatory? Then check out the rest of the top ten here, or let Roostery turn flora into ready-made tea towels, no sewing required!
1. 308 votes for Linocut Leaves and Petals – Navy by run_quiltgirl_run
2. 241 votes for BOUQUET BOUNTY by kirstenkatz
3. 235 votes for Field Work by stefaniewithanf
4. 232 votes for Botanical Tea Towel by Andrea Lauren by andrea_lauren
5. 231 votes for Citrus Limonum Tea Towel by bexmorley
6. 228 votes for Fernery Block Print Style by pinky_wittingslow
7. 221 votes for Botanical Root Veggies by designs_by_lisa_k
8. 213 votes for Botanical Alphabet by anda
9. 211 votes for Botanical Forest Block Print Tea Towel by heatherdutton
10. 209 votes for Culinary Herbs (blue on cream) by seesawboomerang [Read more…] about Announcing the Botanical Block Print Design Challenge Winners