The Operations Staff at Spoonflower help us serve our rapidly growing community of designers, sewists, fabric lovers, and home decorators. Spoonflower strives to provide its customers with timely service and high-quality products. This position is responsible for sewing products at Spoonflower, which includes monitoring product quality, cutting, operating sewing machinery, and packing & shipping orders.
This position will be responsible for the following:
- Cutting and marking fabric to prepare orders to be sewn.
- Operating industrial sewing machines and ironing equipment safely and productively.
- Quality assurance of all the products produced. The members of the Operations team are the last people to see our products before it reaches the customer and are accountable for making sure it is free of printing or material flaws. This requires the candidate to be a careful and conscientious person who pays attention to detail and respects and understands the expectations and needs of Spoonflower customers.
- Monitoring and organization of in-process orders using Spoonflower’s admin system.
- Shipping finished products to customers to both domestic and international addresses. Assure the orders are correct and routed to the correct customer.
Other Floor Operations tasks at Spoonflower as may be needed, such as cutting fabric and shipping fabric orders.
We are seeking candidates who are able to work either first shift (7 am – 3 pm) or second shift (3 pm – 11 pm) any day of the week. Applicants must be available to work a minimum of 24 hours per week.
Requirements for this Position
- Able to cut fabric safely using handheld rotary cutters and has a demonstrated commitment to safety.
- Professional sewing experience is required. Experience with high-speed industrial sewing machines and sergers is a plus. Applicants will be asked to show examples of their work and perform a sewing demonstration.
- Basic computer literacy for operation of our internal and shipping softwares.
- The ability to communicate and interact with all Spoonflower employees in a professional manner.
- The ability to use a college standard of grammar, spelling, and composition in all written communications
- Intrepid problem solving and improvisation. Good team communications, flexibility, and a sense of adventure are crucial to fixing things and minimizing the impact of problems.
- Able to sit for prolonged periods of time.
About Working @Spoonflower
Spoonflower is a unique amalgam of individuals with exceptional skills in their areas of expertise that come together to foster and drive the success of Spoonflower. Members of this team need to have:
- excellent communication skills in writing and in person
- good problem-solving and the ability to improvise and adapt to a changing workflow.
- a commitment to hard work, dedication, enthusiasm and a sense of humor.
- the desire to be part of a small but rapidly growing company and who would like to grow along with us.
- understanding that we operate 24/7 and some of our positions will work some weekends.
Life @ Spoonflower
- 401k plan participation for full and part-time employees with company match
- Monthly fabric/paper allowance
- Casual dress code
- A tightly knit team that values spontaneity, creativity, and collaboration
We are thrilled to be a part of the Durham Living Wage Project. Our commitment to providing our employees with a living wage is just one of the ways in which Spoonflower pays it forward. New Spoonflower employee wages start at $11/hour. After the successful completion of a 90- day probationary period, you will be eligible for a base wage increase to $12.53 per hour.
The application process for Spoonflower is unique, so please take the time to read the instructions below:
- Cover letters are important! We are as interested in knowing who you are as we are in knowing what you have done. Please do not send just a resume.
- In your letter specify which position you are applying for, and include your name and contact information.
- Include in your letter a URL for any/all your online material that you would like to share with us including resume, blog, or portfolio of work.
- Use the link below to paste your cover letter into the message box.
- Please reference the job code in your application for the position in which you are interested.
What Can We Offer You?
At Spoonflower, creativity, customer-focus, resourcefulness, authenticity, fun and trust are the core values of our workplace. We encourage a casual, family-friendly office space and love when our employees are just as creative and passionate as our customers. Our team is full of multitalented individuals who embody — like our customers — a DIY ethic and embrace hard work. As part of Spoonflower, we offer team members outstanding benefits, including company paid medical coverage for employees and their families (US office), generous time off benefits, the support of continuing education, and the chance to learn new skills and advance within the company. And did we mention the monthly fabric/wallpaper allowance?
If you’re interested in joining us, please send a resume and cover letter telling us what inspires you about Spoonflower and why you think you are perfect for our team. We are as interested in knowing who you are as we are in knowing what you can do.
We have a trove of talented individuals in the Durham and RTP areas. Therefore, only local candidates will be considered! No agencies or outside recruiters, please. Any unsolicited resumes will be fed to our printers. Candidates and/or resumes presented to non-HR employees from recruiters and/or agencies will be disqualified.
We look forward to hearing from you!