What’s four words and sweet as can be? If you guessed our newest fabric, Organic Sweet Pea Gauze™, you’re right on the money! Your go-to project using this super-soft gauze may be swaddle blankets, but did you know this fabric can be used for so much more? From reversible bowl covers to reusable grocery bags, your gauze project list is endless! Today we’re celebrating the launch of our newest natural (and organic!) fabric with a visit from Spoonflower alumna, Theresa Rizzuto — you may recognize her as trizzuto in the Marketplace! Find out her tips for working with gauze and see how she put it to the test with the new Charlie caftan from Closet Case Patterns.
Search Results for: swimsuit
The textile industry has always been a large part of what makes North Carolina rich in history. From the furniture market in Greensboro to North Carolina State University’s esteemed College of Design and Textiles, Spoonflower is proud to support the local makers who are helping shape the fashion industry. This year, Spoonflower and the talented local design community celebrated the 16th year of Art2Wear, a completely student run fashion show at North Carolina State University.
“Art2Wear provides the teaching and learning environments for handcrafted experiences blended with old and new technology, unfolding the magical epiphanies revealed through making.”
Chandra Cox – Head, Department of Art + Design
We’re packing our swimsuits, putting on the sunblock and saying Aloha to our friends in Hawaii for June’s weekly design challenges! Throughout the entire month, enjoy design themes inspired by the serene surroundings of our design challenge partners, Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort. We are beyond excited to announce that with the generous support of the Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort, the grand prize winner of each design challenge throughout June will receive (2) five night stays (one for promotional use and one for vacation) at the Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort and $1,000 towards your airfare! That’s right: your design challenge entry could lead you to the beautiful white sand beaches of Waikiki, where your only worry will be deciding whether you enjoy your tiki drink with or without a paper umbrella.
Before you start packing, it’s time to start designing! Read on to learn all about our island inspired themes. [Read more…] about Announcing June’s Design Challenge Themes
It’s safe to say that maker Cinne Worthington may have single-handedly renewed our interest in decorative scarves. Located in San Francisco, she spends her days in her in-home design studio on the old industrial waterfront of a vibrant historical neighborhood called Dogpatch. You’ll find her splitting time between her graphic design business and her Etsy shop, C.Banning Accessories, where she sells uniquely designed scarves. Get to know Cinne and see her beautiful work below.
My day starts with: “a wake-up nudge from my dog’s snout, a bright sunrise over the bay and a little stretch/core workout topped off with a strong espresso. After breakfast I slip into my studio and get to work. My schedule is pretty unpredictable but I can usually get my graphic design work done by lunch so I have the rest of the day to focus on my own things. I fill the gaps with social media promos and admin for my Etsy shop and occasionally act as a curator for the maker’s blog, Found Made Modern.”
What’s a surface design’s best friend? A mighty fine sewing pattern! Lately all we want to do is get cozy in fleece, so we decided to team up with Meg of Burdastyle for a 3-part sew-along so she could show us how to make one! This sew-along uses the Structured Sweatshirt pattern, which has a very on-trend, 70s retro geometric vibe to it. For the next three weeks every Tuesday, we’ll post a new installment of the Fleece Sweatshirt Sew-along, right here on the blog. Stitch with us, won’t you?!
Meg: The cold weather is here to stay for a while longer! The perfect, cozy fabric for the winter is fleece. When I was little, I remember being dressed up in lots of fleece before going outside, so I was really excited to sew something in Spoonflower’s fleece for my adult self. Before I started picking out surface designs and colors, I wanted to establish my sewing pattern and I’ve found the perfect one! I decided on BurdaStyle’s Structured Sweatshirt digital pattern. I love the paneling in the sweatshirt because it allows me to sew multiple designs together, and the high turtle neck will keep me nice and warm. Sew along and download your copy of the pattern here. Use code PULLOVER50 for 50% off! [Read more…] about Fleece Sweatshirt Sew-Along with Burdastyle
My day starts with: “My son jumping on me to get out of bed (he’s the best alarm clock.) I get my son ready for school and then head off to the studio. If I’m lucky I try to hit the gym, but as all working moms know, making time for yourself is often difficult.”
The Spoonflower blog has been graced lately by virtual visits from some extremely talented guest posters. Among them, and up this week, is Dana Willard of the Made blog and author of Fabrics A to Z (called The Fabric Selector if you're UK-based). Dana has kindly offered to share her experience sewing with knit fabrics here on the blog today in conjunction with a generous giveaway of THREE copies of Fabrics A to Z. Even if you consider yourself somewhat experienced with knits, you may learn a thing or two from Dana–I know I did!
Read on for some pointers on knits and details of her book giveaway, and do remember to check out the Spoonflower blog this Monday when Dana will return to share an adorable tutorial using fat quarters of Spoonflower's organic cotton interlock knit. Enjoy!
Spoonflower friends, I'm Dana from the DIY/Sewing/Design site MADE. Like
most of you, I love browsing the Spoonflower vault for interesting patterns and prints. But I only recently
discovered that fabrics can be purchased in interlock knit form!
Did you know that? It
made me smile, because we all love knit fabrics!
fussy, they stretch, they're unpretentious, and they’re just plain comfortable. I'm pretty sure that 75% of our family wardrobe is
made up of knit tops and comfy shirts. But just as much as we love
the textile, many of us are scared to sew with knits. If you fall into that category, it's time to put fear aside and embrace the adventure!
At least that's how I look at sewing.
It's always an experiment,
often fun, sometimes frustrating, but mostly exciting. And when you
sew with knits and it works?!…you'll want to jump for joy and laugh
at how mysterious store-bought T-shirts used to seem.
Last year I
wrote a book called Fabrics
A to Z,
which outlines over 150 fabric types, how to sew with them, wash
them, press them, which needles to use, all the nitty gritty. The fabrics are categorized by fiber content and also by the methods
in which they were created: either knit or woven.
are created in much the same way as a hand-knitted scarf, with
needles that link yarns together in connecting loops. But the
yarns used in knit fabrics are much more narrow than those used to
create a sweater. Look closely at a T-shirt and you’ll see
the small tiny loops and ribs I'm referring to. All these
tiny connecting loops are what make knit fabrics stretchy (and the
reason why we love them). But there are a few knits that have
very little stretch, such as double-knit fabric. These are
referred to as “stable knits”.
knits are called “unstable knits” and can be categorized even
further into two-way
stretch, depending on how many directions the fabric will stretch.
Spandex has amazing 4-way stretch and can be pulled up to seven times
its length then bounces right back to its original shape.
Knit fabric types
goes into much more detail about the different types of knits, but here's a quick breakdown of the most
common knits you'll come across:
is the standard t-shirt fabric. It's lightweight to medium-weight and
can be used for most knit garments.
with Spandex has fantastic
stretch and can feel a bit slinky. I recently used some for the
cover-up and loved it.
is a bit thicker than jersey and is great for blankets, skirts,
shirts, and lightweight jackets/cardigans, (and a secret project I'm
sharing here on Spoonflower next week). The knits sold here on
Spoonflower are organic cotton interlock and are absolutely
wonderful, soft, and dreamy.
can be used for so many things…vests, jackets, pillows, blankets,
scarves, hats, embellishments. Fleece comes in varying weights
and fibers. Some pill, some don't. They're a forgiving
fabric, easily hiding mistakes under the fluffy surface.
is used for the cuffs and collars on most shirts. I always love
to have a variety of colors on-hand. Whenever it's on sale at
the store I buy a 1/2 yard of my favorite shades.
is wonderful for swimsuits and leotards. And though it might
sound scary to sew one…just go for it! The first time I made
a swimsuit I sort of made it up as I went and it was really
sewing Do's and Dont's
before I get technical, let's not get technical. I’m a
fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants sewer. I’m supposed to tell you
fancy things like use a ball needle or a walking foot but I don’t
do either. I just sew with a normal needle, normal sewing
machine, standard foot, and get going. And it works!
But if you're a bullet points
kind of person, here you go….
Let the fabric feed itself through the machine. If you tug it,
the fabric will stretch and pucker (unless that’s the look you’re
• Use a ball needle so it doesn't snag the
fabric as you go (but note above that I just use what I have
• When using knits as an applique, sew slowly and stop
every so often to lift the presser foot and allow the fabric
underneath to relax and bounce back in place. If you try to sew
a circle shape of knit fabric in one big swoop you’ll end up with a
wonky looking project.
Be scared. What's the worst that can happen? Your machine eats
a piece of fabric and you toss it in the can? Totally worth it since
next time you’ll be more armed and more skilled to create what you
originally had in mind.
Knits 101, in a nutshell. Do you feel ready to jump in with two
feet? Let's do it! To get you started, today we're giving
away three copies of my book Fabrics A to Z! And for a
whole slew of sewing of ideas, check out my tutorials page here.
Thanks, Dana! If you'd like to be entered into the drawing to win one of three copies of Dana Willard's book, Fabrics A to Z, just leave your comment below or on the corresponding Facebook post and do include your Spoonflower screen name so that we can track you down if you're our winner. Entries will close next Tuesday, 10/23 and we'll announce a winner on 10/24. Good luck, fabric enthusiasts!
Last week, we gave three winners their choice of the top ten designs in our Zombie Plush Toy Fabric of the Week contest. The winners are Baily Witwer, Mashca Slot, and Sue Clearfield. Congratulations to the three of you, and we'll be in touch soon!
Vote for as many designs as you like on the four-page voting form. If the thought of so many fabric designs wears you out, feel free to complete only a page or two; at the end of the week (Tuesday, Feb. 2) we’ll still count partially completed ballots. The pages load in a random order for each voter, so partial ballots should not disadvantage the designers.
The participating designs this week are (take a breath):
- Apple Harvest by Adrian Post : www.spoonflower.com/explore/145754
- Animals! by Aimee Elisabeth : www.spoonflower.com/explore/151004
- Space hero110 by aimee Hartogh : www.spoonflower.com/explore/151233
- Spot The Bug by Alex Morgan : www.spoonflower.com/explore/127002
- beach ball 4 square by Ali_C : www.spoonflower.com/explore/149358
- Love and Creatures by Amanda H : www.spoonflower.com/explore/147239
- Wombats in Dew Order by Andrea Mueller : www.spoonflower.com/explore/150384
- Foxy by Anja Rieger : www.spoonflower.com/explore/150444
- Animals by Anna Cole : www.spoonflower.com/explore/151281
- Papa Goose Out for a Stroll by annette ooyevaar : www.spoonflower.com/explore/151033
- Elephants by AOTHdesigns : www.spoonflower.com/explore/150288
- Flower Shower by Beenish Zia : www.spoonflower.com/explore/150314
- birthday girl by Betsy Childs : www.spoonflower.com/explore/149473
- Vibrant Flower by Bonnie Medina : www.spoonflower.com/explore/151225
- Elephants and birds by Celebrindal : www.spoonflower.com/explore/147841
- Ice Creams by Charlotte Pearson : www.spoonflower.com/explore/145504
- Sweet Cupcakes by Christina Dennis : www.spoonflower.com/explore/149198
- Strawberryopia by Christina Olindo : www.spoonflower.com/explore/36426
- Tire Swing Hills by Colette Lindemann : www.spoonflower.com/explore/149035
- Pink Mary Janes by Connie Kaiser : www.spoonflower.com/explore/72421
- Mr Toast & Joe the Egg faces by Dan Goodsell : www.spoonflower.com/explore/118675
- Sputnik Blanket by Danika Sea : www.spoonflower.com/explore/150849
- Dinosaurus Spot by Dejah Seagraves : www.spoonflower.com/explore/146197
- forest friends by dennisthebadger : www.spoonflower.com/explore/150575
- little spring girls by doro K. : www.spoonflower.com/explore/142562
- Purple Paleo by Dyna : www.spoonflower.com/explore/142454
- Little Miss by Elizabeth Goodspeed : www.spoonflower.com/explore/118561
- gnot you average gnome by Elizabeth McKenzie : www.spoonflower.com/explore/145540
- Day at The Beach by Ella May Russell : www.spoonflower.com/explore/151196
- Happy monkeys by Ellen Hong : www.spoonflower.com/explore/150143
- Giraffe Spots and Stripe by Eloise Narrigan : www.spoonflower.com/explore/29518
- You Are My Sunshine by Emily : www.spoonflower.com/explore/151238
- Kitties and Bunnies Baby explore by Emily Whittaker/MochiPan : www.spoonflower.com/explore/150062
- Whimsical Peacock by Erin Williams : www.spoonflower.com/explore/147400
- Prince Frog by Eva Marion Seyffarth : www.spoonflower.com/explore/150715
- Blue_Eyes by Eve Quellman : www.spoonflower.com/explore/149072
- Cuddle Coat by Frock : www.spoonflower.com/explore/117660
- lavender girl by Gisele T : www.spoonflower.com/explore/126795
- Power Paisley by Heather Dutton : www.spoonflower.com/explore/144150
- Lollipop on a stick by Helene Goldberg : www.spoonflower.com/explore/145473
- kittens pink by Holli Zollinger : www.spoonflower.com/explore/150759
- shape_burst by Inga Mesker : www.spoonflower.com/explore/151272
- Panda Tumbles – Strawberry by Isabella P. : www.spoonflower.com/explore/117330
- JamJax Tilt-A-Whirl by JamJax : www.spoonflower.com/explore/126912
- Lady bugs by Janet Angus : www.spoonflower.com/explore/150777
- Ice Cream Clouds by Jeni Paltiel : www.spoonflower.com/explore/151069
- Flutter Away by Jennifer Addotta : www.spoonflower.com/explore/149837
- Baby Girl Hearts by Jennifer Burns-Dyson : www.spoonflower.com/explore/151265
- Chocolate and pink paisley flower by Jennifer Wilson-Parkes : www.spoonflower.com/explore/147361
- Robots & Pipes – Purple by jessee m : www.spoonflower.com/explore/120425
- go sprout go! by Joan De Lurio : www.spoonflower.com/explore/89949
- Knittin’ Kitten by Joanne Harper : www.spoonflower.com/explore/85977
- FUN flowers by jone Hallmark : www.spoonflower.com/explore/151285
- Elephants by Joni Stringfield : www.spoonflower.com/explore/148868
- Papillon Papercut 2, vertical by Julie Shaw : www.spoonflower.com/explore/148904
- Bunny Foo Foo by June Jewell : www.spoonflower.com/explore/107194
- Sweet and sour apples by Kajsa Wikman : www.spoonflower.com/explore/148385
- Checkered Hearts by Karen Bui : www.spoonflower.com/explore/148863
- Alice Down The Rabbit Hole by karen cox : www.spoonflower.com/explore/145738
- small elephants in red by Katharina Hirsch : www.spoonflower.com/explore/145206
- Toile Tale by Katherine : www.spoonflower.com/explore/150855
- Miss Muffet by Katie Rippy : www.spoonflower.com/explore/146881
- Where is the cat? by katy keuter : www.spoonflower.com/explore/145862
- colored bubbles with a bubble-wand border by kelly : www.spoonflower.com/explore/149802
- It All Adds Up by Kelly Gammon : www.spoonflower.com/explore/151278
- Spare Parts by Kelly Grooters : www.spoonflower.com/explore/148649
- White Kitty & Ginger Kitty by Kerry Youde : www.spoonflower.com/explore/117604
- hide and seek by Kim Lennox : www.spoonflower.com/explore/151132
- Vintage Hedgehog by Kindershop : www.spoonflower.com/explore/147874
- Pocketful of Posies by Krista Hamrick : www.spoonflower.com/explore/151095
- Summer Floral – “K” Kids by Kristopher K : www.spoonflower.com/explore/145804
- MARY MACK MACK MACK by Kweli Kitwana : www.spoonflower.com/explore/130919
- ziG-zaG dra-minGo by L Joy Arroyo : www.spoonflower.com/explore/149406
- Sherbert Heaven by lacie shaw : www.spoonflower.com/explore/147590
- Doggie Dots by Laura Powell : www.spoonflower.com/explore/149207
- Bullfrog Bouquet by Laura Wilson : www.spoonflower.com/explore/112213
- ladybug picnic by Lauren Gardner : www.spoonflower.com/explore/149604
- SweetPeeps by Lauren Linn : www.spoonflower.com/explore/150498
- seahorse_go-round5 by Lee Anne Snozek : www.spoonflower.com/explore/150718
- Bubbles by Lesley Smith : www.spoonflower.com/explore/150286
- Snails In The Garden by Lesli Pepper : www.spoonflower.com/explore/150355
- Ladybird pattern by Liam Nicholls : www.spoonflower.com/explore/148515
- retroanimals1 by Linn Bodur : www.spoonflower.com/explore/75177
- Just jump by Margaret Baxter : www.spoonflower.com/explore/24413
- Happy by Mary Brewer : www.spoonflower.com/explore/150792
- emmaberry by mary winklea : www.spoonflower.com/explore/43967
- Bunny by matida : www.spoonflower.com/explore/149093
- Little People Love by Megan Wright : www.spoonflower.com/explore/148597
- Owl Swirl by mel latthitham : www.spoonflower.com/explore/83289
- Around Town by melanie hamilton : www.spoonflower.com/explore/150329
- Meow by Melanie Medina : www.spoonflower.com/explore/147543
- MerFriends by Melia Newman : www.spoonflower.com/explore/147944
- Science1b by Michael Uhlenkott : www.spoonflower.com/explore/102680
- Blue Doodle by Mikhaela Reid : www.spoonflower.com/explore/47660
- Catflower by MinaW : www.spoonflower.com/explore/18646
- Retro Alphabet Soup by Monique Daley : www.spoonflower.com/explore/150607
- WHOOPS-A-DAISY by Nadine Westcott : www.spoonflower.com/explore/150396
- Bubble Dancers by Nalo Hopkinson : www.spoonflower.com/explore/71232
- Dreaming Dragons by natacha devaud : www.spoonflower.com/explore/135570
- sweet things by PUFFY P : www.spoonflower.com/explore/150825
- Bloom in Blue by Rachel : www.spoonflower.com/explore/86033
- Read2Me by Rebecca Cook : www.spoonflower.com/explore/150921
- Zoo by Renule : www.spoonflower.com/explore/147251
- Birds by Reva Erskine : www.spoonflower.com/explore/149447
- Happy Dancing Davina is a Ballerina by Rosanna Hope : www.spoonflower.com/explore/151277
- froggie by Rose : www.spoonflower.com/explore/150336
- 3 Little Birdies by Roslyn Weatherall : www.spoonflower.com/explore/145710
- Alice in Wonderland by Ruthann Zaroff : www.spoonflower.com/explore/145566
- Pinstripe Parade by Samarra Khaja : www.spoonflower.com/explore/150954
- Cheeky cow bubbles by Sara Norwood : www.spoonflower.com/explore/146589
- Elephant Paisley by Sarah Melancon : www.spoonflower.com/explore/149124
- Scrummy Cowboy on green by Sharon Turner : www.spoonflower.com/explore/145588
- Happy Hoots by Shelly HIckmann : www.spoonflower.com/explore/141389
- Lambie Lovey by Shirlene Perini : www.spoonflower.com/explore/148024
- Party Dresses by Smile Recipe : www.spoonflower.com/explore/150836
- animalla by Star Primm : www.spoonflower.com/explore/100666
- RobotStyle by Stefanie Fiedler : www.spoonflower.com/explore/151054
- Super Dinos Go by Stephanie Hooper : www.spoonflower.com/explore/150818
- Chinese Kites Pajama Print by Susan Mentrak::joybucket : www.spoonflower.com/explore/148723
- Oneeyz pattern by Susanne Krogh-Hansen : www.spoonflower.com/explore/91044
- Birds and Eggs by Sylvia Ion : www.spoonflower.com/explore/145847
- Fluffy Clouds, Blue Sky by Tara Crowley : www.spoonflower.com/explore/151148
- what’s new pussycat? by teresa gerould : www.spoonflower.com/explore/149169
- Small Coloured Matroyshkas by tomatojam : www.spoonflower.com/explore/128634
- Trip to the Beach by Vanessa Raidy : www.spoonflower.com/explore/150676
- It’s Raining Hedgehogs border print by Victoria Lasher : www.spoonflower.com/explore/135393
- Lions and tigers and bears, oh my! by virginia : www.spoonflower.com/explore/145314
- Swimsuit Toddlers by Wendee Wingfield : www.spoonflower.com/explore/149625
- Birds on a wire by Yvonne Herbst : www.spoonflower.com/explore/75780