Spoonflower is one of the hottest brands in the DIY space, and one of North Carolina’s fastest-growing companies. Our web site makes it possible for individuals to create and sell unique fabrics, wallpaper and gift wrap. Many of the designers who use Spoonflower to create products also use it to sell their work, making Spoonflower the world’s largest marketplace of surface designs created by indie artists. The community of designers and shoppers who make up Spoonflower is central to what we do. Our goal is to continue to expand the reach of Spoonflower’s services internationally, and, more generally, to expand the opportunities available for individuals to express themselves through color, pattern and personalization.
At Spoonflower, creativity, customer-focus, resourcefulness, authenticity, fun and trust are the core values of our workplace. Our team is full of creative, multitalented individuals who embody — like our customers — a DIY ethic and an embrace of hard work. We offer team members outstanding benefits, support of continuing education, and the chance to learn new skills and move within the company.
Reporting to the CFO, we are looking for a Director of Accounting to oversee GAAP reporting, tax reporting and compliance, audits, debt and equity compliance and to manage a small team of accountants. The focus of this role will be ensuring the real time availability of key financial metrics.
- GAAP Reporting, Analysis and Forecasting: Maintain chart of accounts and reporting structure, balancing consistency with public company best practices. Complete monthly, quarterly and year end hard closing in a timely and accurate manner. Complete pay period soft close (revenue, gross profit and payroll). Annual audit complete within 120 days (manage service providers). Maintain debt amortization schedules, ensuring current and long term portions of debt are properly reflected each reporting period. Generate monthly departmental budget vs. actual reports, and discuss with each budget owner. Develop and maintain accounting policies and procedures. Develop and maintain T&E policy.
- General Ledger: Process transactions in English and German under US GAAP. Manage ability to report in compliance with US and German tax code. Manage multiple currency accounting and conversion. Manage subsidiary records, intercompany charges and reconciliation and eliminating journal entries.
- Treasury: Manage cash flow and maintain cash forecast. Reconcile bank and credit card statements. Optimize cash conversion cycle. Manage company credit card accounts and user authority
- Taxes: Manage preparation of income, VAT, sales and franchise tax returns, including tax provision. Sales tax and VAT (data collection, exemptions, policies and application, filing and payment, invoice formats, checkout systems). 1099 data and compliance requirements for non-designer vendors. VAT codes and record-keeping to support input VAT claim.
- Investors/Board Reporting, Analysis and Forecasting: Flash reports, monthly Board dashboard, quarterly (and as needed) Board presentation decks and advance materials. Maintain rolling forecasts. Maintain data in investor portal, and respond to one-off requests.
- Equity Accounting: Maintain and reconcile equity records, including cap table and stock option plan. Obtain valuations as needed. Manage stock option accounting services, record and reconcile stock compensation expense.
- Manage 401k plan audit (starting for the 2016 year)
- Supervise accounting team
Experience, Skills and Capabilities Required:
Technical Skills and Capabilities
- Accounting degree; CPA preferred
- Proficiency with Excel and Netsuite (experience with Netsuite is nice to have, but can be trained).
- Strong technical skills, including advanced Excel.
- Comfortable with web-based applications, export/import data transfer and web services integrations.
- Experience with electronic routing and approval workflow and paperless accounting environments.
Functional Skills and Capabilities:
- Manufacturing and inventory environments
- E-commerce experience
- GAAP accounting, including multi-national consolidations, cost accounting, inventory management and revenue recognition.
- Fluency in English required; German would be nice to have.
Other Equally Important Competencies
- Professional communications style and ability to interact respectfully with all levels of the company.
- Ability to communicate financial information across multiple departments.
- Ability to resolve conflict and competing priorities.
- Customer service mindset, taking pride in quality work that communicates important information and supports business decision making and understanding.
- Comfortable in an entrepreneurial environment, with frequent change and developing systems, policies and procedures.
- History of using technology to reduce repetitive and manual tasks.
- Attention to quality and detail; preference to do it right the first time/touch it only once.
- Analytical mind, always looking for solutions, improvement, insight and understanding.
- Creative problem solver.
- Able to manage multiple responsibilities and expectations, while consistently meeting deadlines and commitments.
- Desire to grow and develop professionally; life-long learner.
If you’re interested in joining Spoonflower, please send a cover letter, telling us what inspires you about Spoonflower and why you think you are perfect for our team. We are as interested in knowing who you are as we are in knowing what you can do. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
We have a trove of talented individuals in the Durham and RTP areas. Therefore, only local candidates will be considered! No agencies or outside recruiters, please. Resumes submitted by agencies/recruiters will be fed to our printers.
Please apply here.
We look forward to hearing from you!