The Spoonflower Benefits Specialist is the administrator and primary point of contact for all health and welfare benefit plans, workers compensation and leave plans. This position is also responsible for payroll processing for the Durham location and payroll support of the Berlin factory,
- Manage Spoonflower’s benefit plans, including health, life, 401(K) and disability plans. Administer full cycle benefit process of medical, dental, flexible spending, vision, life, AD&D, disability, COBRA, EAP, 401(k),
- Oversee 401K compliance and reporting to include audits, administration and 5500 reporting.
- Introduce our benefit plans to newly eligible employees, answer questions and concerns while educating employees on changes to their health, dental, and vision benefits. Manage new employee benefits eligibility calendar, coordinates sessions that introduce Spoonflower benefits to new employees, and track and follow up on new employee enrollments/missing paperwork.
- Coordinate enrollment and terminations in Spoonflower benefit plans, answer employee questions about the plans they are enrolled in, and audit our plans to ensure data is accurate and up to date. Oversee vendor file feeds and data file reviews.
- Review vendor and service provider invoices, ensuring they are accurate each month and any needed adjustments and reconciliations are taken care of.
- Responsible for providing professional, knowledgeable, and sensitive benefit plan education and support to employees and function as an advisor and subject matter expert to the company and employees on benefits related matters.
- Research, resolve and address employee’s benefit inquiries; communicate findings and recommendations/resolutions to employees, VP HR and/or leadership if needed.
- Develop and maintain cohesive broker and vendor relationships, serve as a liaison to benefit carriers, brokers and vendors to address escalations and identify changes to design and process.
- Lead the transition from current 401K TPA to newly selected vendor.
- Lead the identification, selection and transition of a new HRIS/Payroll system.
- Handle workers compensation claims and and reporting, COBRA administration and leave administration.
- Educate employees on benefit plan design and how to utilize resources and tools available to them in order to maximize coverage and minimize out of pocket expenses. Create and deploy training programs for all benefit offerings.
- Track part-time employee hours worked in order to maintain compliance with the Affordable Care Act; complete ACA required reports for review, approval and submission.
- Prepare and submit bi-weekly payroll for Durham and monthly payroll for our Berlin factory. Responsible for all payroll related matters, including tax filings, W-2 management and records auditing.
- Contribute to the administrative hygiene of the department (filing, organization of files, etc.)
- Assist with other HR department related tasks as needed.
Essential Knowledge, Skills & Ability
- Communications and Interpersonal skills: excellent communication and active listening skills, clear and concise written communication skills; ability to handle sensitive information with discretion and tact; ability to detect subtleties and nuances in others’ communication styles and adjusts own communication style to fit the audience; ability to work through difficult or awkward interpersonal situations in a positive manner; ability to interact with peers and managers in a way that maintains the working relationship.
- Professionalism: able to display a positive outlook and pleasant manner to colleagues and the Spoonflower Community; able to display a commitment to high standards of professional conduct through the demonstration of compassion, honesty and integrity; ability to displays a calm and professional demeanor in response to change and stressful situation; follow principles of ethics and confidentiality; understand and follow the rules of etiquette; shows respect for other people.
- Understands the sacrosanct nature of the confidentiality required for the role.
- Technically savvy with ability to navigate multiple web based systems at once.
- Familiarity with Google docs, calendar and gmail, as well as with Mac computers.
- Ability and willingness to take ownership of employee issues and follow through until full resolution is reached.
- Project management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to take the initiative to think through tasks and projects and determine if they impact other areas of work.
- Ability to work with employees with empathy, respect, sensitivity and discretion
- Knowledge of applicable federal and state benefits regulations (e.g. HIPAA, COBRA, ERISA, FMLA, etc.).
- Knowledge of NC state workers compensation law and practices
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited university
- 3+ years experience in a benefits support and/or HR generalist position
- An equivalent combination of education and experience; extensive directly related experience will be considered in lieu of a degree
Does this sound like you? If yes, we would love to talk to you. If you’re interested in joining Spoonflower, please send a cover letter, telling us what inspires you about Spoonflower and why you think you are perfect for our team. We are as interested in knowing who you are as we are in knowing what you can do. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
We have a trove of talented individuals in the Durham and RTP areas. Therefore, only local candidates will be considered! No agencies or outside recruiters, please. Candidates/resumes submitted to non-HR employees by agencies/recruiters will be disqualified and fed to our printers.
Please apply here!
We look forward to hearing from you!