Looking for a way to make your company stand out? Try printing your logo onto fabric or wallpaper to create a variety of branded materials such as custom table coverings and photo backdrops for events and more! Using a free design program called Canva, we’ll walk you through the steps for getting your logo prepped and uploaded to print through Spoonflower. Keep reading below and you’ll be creating your own branded materials in no time!
First Things First: 3 Tips to Keep in Mind
- We recommend using a high-resolution PNG or JPEG of your logo. 150dpi minimum and either a PNG with a transparent background or a JPEG with a white background work best.
- Spoonflower prints in RGB color mode. If you have multiple logo versions make sure you’re using the RGB version otherwise the colors will shift when uploading to Spoonflower.
- If your logo has a background color—consider changing the background in your file based on the recommendation above
Ready to get started?
Using a free online design program called Canva, we’re going to walk you through how to format your logo for print on fabric, home decor or even wallpaper! Create a Canva account to get started, then follow along in the video or the written steps below.
Tip: Try using a ruler and a piece of paper to draw different-sized squares or rectangles to visualize how large you want your logo to be. Once you’ve decided on a size, you’re ready to move on.
Step 1: Canvas Setup
- Canva files export at a lower DPI than we need for printing through Spoonflower. To compensate, we’ll set up our canvas 2X as large as we want our logo to print on our final product.
- For this tutorial, I’ll be using the Spoonflower logo and I want it to print at 1″ x 1″ (3 x 3cm) with 1/2″ of space all the way around. So, my final logo size will measure 2″ x 2″ (5 x 5cm).
- With those measurements in mind, I’m going to multiply all the dimensions by 2, which means in Canva, I’ll make my logo 2″ x 2″ (5 x 5cm) on a 4″ x 4″ (10 x 10cm) canvas.
Once you have your custom dimensions worked out, enter the height and width in inches or centimeters. And click Create a new design.
Step 2: Upload Your Logo
From the toolbar on the left side go to Uploads, and then click the button to Upload an image or video or drag and drop your logo file from your computer.
Step 3: Add Your Logo to Your Canvas
After its finished uploading click on your logo to add it to your canvas.
Step 4: Resize Your Logo
I’m going to resize our logo to be 2″ x 2″. With the logo selected, click and drag in from one of the corners to resize. You’ll see measurements pop up next to your cursor as you’re resizing so you can set it to a specific size.
- Remember, your logo should be sized 2X as big as you want it to print. I want ours to print at 1″ so we’re sizing to 2″ here.
Tip: Resizing the logo might move it from being centered. To fix that, click on your logo to go to Position in the top right and align it to both the Middle and Center.
Step 5: Add Background Color
We’ll need to add a solid white background color to our file for it to export correctly as a PNG. If your logo has a background color that isn’t white consider making the background match so it prints seamlessly, otherwise it’ll print as separate squares (see below).
- From the left toolbar, click on Elements and under Shapes select the Square.
- In the top left corner of the canvas, you’ll see a box matching the color of the shape. Click on that to change the color and select white from the Default Colors. Or to match your background, you should see that color already listed under Photo Colors.
- After selecting the color you want, resize the box to fill your entire canvas, I’d suggest making it a little larger than your canvas to make sure it’s completely covered.
- With the shape still selected, right-click and choose Send to Back.
Step 6: Download Your Logo File
Now we’re ready to export! In the top right corner where it says Untitled design, rename your file. Then click the arrow next to the Download button and select one of the File Type options from the drop-down. I’d recommend staying with the default PNG. Then click Download. Canva will export and download the file to your computer.
Step 7: Upload to Spoonflower
Step 8: Edit Your Repeat
Once your logo is done uploading you’ll see a screen like the one below. Use this page to customize how your logo repeats and to adjust the printed size.
Spoonflower offers a few different options for repeating patterns. A basic repeat (the default option), half-drop, half-brick, centered and mirrored. For this project, we’ll want to avoid using the centered or mirrored options, but feel free to play around with either the basic, half-drop and half-brick options to see what works best for you. If you choose something other than the basic option be sure to click Save this Layout to save your settings.
Remember when we had to make our file 2X larger in Canva? Now we’ll need to resize it on Spoonflower so it prints at the original size we wanted. My file was 2″ x 2″ for a 1″ logo output. Under Design Size, I’m going to keep clicking the Smaller button until the measurements listed underneath are as close to 2″ x 2″ as I can get. When that’s resized how you want, don’t forget to click Save this Layout.
Step 9: Preview on Products
To see how your logo looks on fabric or other products, click View All Products located to the left of your design:
Tip: Every design uploaded to Spoonflower is set to private by default. Your design won’t be public or marked for sale unless you choose for it to be by clicking on the Sell or Display buttons at the bottom of the design page. To mark your design for sale, you must order a proof first.
Step 10: Place Your Order!
Click on any of the rendered images on the All Products page to learn more about that specific product and place your order!
Ideas to Further Customize Your Design
You may decide to experiment with further customization by using the steps above to add additional logos or design elements on a larger canvas within the Canva platform. Or, for something even more custom, consider commissioning an artist from the Spoonflower Marketplace to help you create a professional and on-of-a-kind design for your brand. Spoonflower makes it easy to contact any artist you love by sending a message directly through our platform. First, be sure to log into your account. Next, navigate to an artist’s Spoonflower shop and click the Connect button under their profile image.