It feels like we were ringing in 2018 just days ago which is why we can’t believe we’re already sharing our 2018 year in review. Did this year come and go in the blink of an eye for you too? It’s no secret the Spoonflower community has accomplished so much over the past year, including our biggest milestone to date: Spoonflower’s 10 year anniversary! As we look forward to 2019 (and the next 10 years of Spoonflower) we can’t forget all of the exciting things that made 2018 our most creative year yet. Help us celebrate as we look back at our highlights from the year and be sure to share your favorite Spoonflower moment of 2018 in the comment section below.
It’s safe to say that when our community falls in love with a design trend, they fall hard! These five trends won the hearts of both the designer and maker community and quickly started popping up all over our social feeds. What design trend caught your eye in 2018?
Community Favorite Design Trends of 2018
Just one look at the most popular designs of 2018 and you can easily see the Spoonflower community was in a floral frenzy! While some designers took a soft watercolor approach, others went bold with oversized statement florals – the perfect addition to any modern nursery.
Community Favorite Designs of 2018
Spoonflower’s Weekly Design Challenges encourage creativity by inviting our community to submit designs around a theme and vote on favorites to win weekly prizes. There’s no shortage of creativity when designers are put to the test to create a new design inspired by our weekly prompts. These 10 design challenges made their way into our year in review based on the total number of votes (community favorite) and total number of design challenge entries (designer favorite). Did your favorite design challenge theme make the list?
Community Favorite Design Challenges
Designer Favorite Design Challenges
- Large Scale Black & White
- Gender Neutral Nursery Wallpaper
- Circles are the New Triangles
How have you outfitted your space with Roostery in 2018? With the introduction of five new luxe home textiles, it’s easier than ever to welcome your favorite Spoonflower designer into your home.
- Lakenvelder Throw Blankets
- Bantam / Malay Tablecloths
- Minorca Table Runners
- Plymouth Curtains
- Catalan Lumbar Pillows
Our fabric, wallpaper and gift wrap took an adventure around the world this year! From the Vatican City to Åland Islands, your orders traveled the high seas to ensure your creative ideas could become a reality.
We might as well call 2018 the year of 😍 thanks to the content our community was sharing on Instagram! These five posts we shared sparked your fingers to double-tap and we can see why. Can you say #inspired? Want to see what the rest of the Spoonflower community has been up to this year? Be sure to check out #spoonflower.
- Whale’s Song by katherinequinnillustration
- Floral Statement Couch by lanaredstudio fabric designed by lanaredstudio
- Chickens of the World by rebelchallenger
- Emerald Forest by catalinakim
- Reading Nook by biggestlittledreamer wallpaper designed by andrea_lauren
From pets to pouches, this year was full of DIYs that inspired your creativity. Robert Mahar inspired us all with his personalized embroidery map and our most popular DIY, Recipe Tea Towels, continues to win the hearts of designers and makers across the world.
- Pet Bandana
- How to Create a Seamless Repeat from a Drawing
- The Perfect Zipper Pouch in 9 Easy Steps
- 5 Ways to Personalize a Map with Embroidery
- Recipe Tea Towel
- Reusable Produce Bag
It’s no secret we love collaborating with creative and crafty friends. These six projects are swoon-worthy to say the least and just the inspiration we’re looking for to kick-start our January sewing and home makeover projects.
- Merrick’s Art Chiffon Dress
- Lia Griffith Entryway
- Oh Happy Day and Parents Magazine
- Suzy Quilts Twisted Ribbons
- Jeweled Interiors Spring One Room Challenge Reveal
- Retro Bar Cart with PMQ for Two
The heart of Spoonflower are the designers and makers who bring their creativity and drive to our community each and every day. We’ve been lucky enough to get to know some of these artists in our Meet the Designer and Meet the Maker series. While these are just three tips we learned this year, don’t miss even more tips from past interviews to help grow your business in 2019.
We’re so excited to see that some of our favorite show-stopping trends of 2018 will really stake their claim in 2019. Keep an eye out for statement designs like animal prints, large scale wallpaper and boho-chic patterns as they continue to make their way into the Marketplace and your home.
It’s easy to find your favorite Spoonflower substrate and “stay in your fabric lane” but have you given some of our newest fabrics a try? Our upholstery-grade fabrics continue to center stay on home textiles, reupholstery projects and even handmade garments.
- Cypress Cotton Canvas™: The newest fabric of the year, this sturdy, upholstery-grade fabric is easy to work with and has a subtle and sophisticated texture. Test it out with a DIY project: Fabric Planters
- Dogwood Denim™: Looking to achieve a lived-in look without jeopardizing the durability of your fabric? Dogwood Denim’s naturally worn look does just that and it’s upholstery grade which means it’ll withstand the test of time. Test it out with a DIY project: Ottoman Covers
- Celosia Velvet™: Luxe fabric alert! This upholstery-grade superhero has a subtle shimmer for elevated décor and is perfectly on-trend for an upscale addition in your home. Test it out with a DIY project: Floor Pouf
- Lightweight Cotton Twill: This super versatile fabric is perfect for apparel and décor and is easy to work with – the quintessential do-it-all fabric. Test it out with a DIY project: Drawstring Bag
- Minky: Our Minky is quickly making its way through the ranks as a community favorite. The vibrant color and soft-plush pile makes this fabric our go-to option for snuggly custom, cozy throw blankets. Test it out with a DIY project: Lounge Pants
As we close out the year and look towards 2019, we are excited about the continued growth of the Spoonflower designer community. Can you believe we now have over 23,000 designers in the Marketplace? If you’re looking to narrow down your search, take a peek at these five designers on the rise. They’ve caught our eye and we hope the same is true for you!
Cheers to a DIY-filled 2018 and a happy, creative new year from the Spoonflower family to yours.