Over the 10 years Spoonflower has been in business, our focus has always been about empowering creative individuals around the world by connecting artists, designers and creators through our unique and growing platform. We strive to provide the very best products and experiences for our communities and are always testing new ideas. Together, we have successfully worked to create something special and unique through our sister brands, Sprout Patterns and Roostery.
Sprout Patterns started as an idea among the first employees at Spoonflower who asked the question — “What if we could print out exact pattern pieces with the surface design we choose on the fabric we want?” Over three years, Sprout has powered the creation of over 50k public projects from 100+ indie-sewing patterns and inspired countless sewists to think outside of the
As we look to the future of Spoonflower, it is with a heavy heart that we have made the difficult decision to shut down Sprout Patterns’ operations at the end of 2018 to focus our efforts on new opportunities for our community.
So what does that mean for the future of apparel at Spoonflower?
While we are currently hitting the pause button on custom cut-and-sew apparel at Sprout, Spoonflower will continue to be passionate about indie fabric designs and sewing patterns. We will continue to serve our Spoonflower community with apparel fabrics to power your creativity and we hope to inspire you through projects like our recent collaboration with Indiesew and The Spoonflower Quick-Sew Project Book.
Fostering creativity and connecting with sewists around the world has and always will be an important part of our community and we hope that you will continue to join us on this exciting adventure. For additional details about the closing of Sprout Patterns, please see our FAQs.
Meet the Patternmakers
Without the 15 independent patternmakers below, Sprout Patterns would not have been possible. Their passion and dedication to creating beautiful and functional sewing patterns is the foundation of the Sprout brand and the growing indie-sewing community. All of the patterns you fell in love with on Sprout are still available on their personal websites.
Over the years, the Spoonflower + Sprout community inspired us with your one-of-kind garments. Standing out from the crowd, these me-made looks highlight what happens when you combine creativity and customization. We can’t wait to see what you dream up next!
Top row, left to right Orange Clementines, Monstera Leaves, Winter Garden Antique,
Middle row, left to right: Pink Billy Buttons, Etosha Leopard Skin, Eggs
Bottom row: Woven Threads, Butterfly Wings, Union Jack
Learn more about our favorite woven fabrics perfect for apparel:
Learn more about our favorite knit fabrics suited for apparel:
Frequently Asked Questions
- When is the last day that I can order a Sprout Patterns project?
- Sunday, December 16, 2018, 11:59 pm EST
- When is the last day I can order a Sprout Patterns project with White Glove Service?
- Sunday, December 16, 2018, 11:59 pm EST
- I have a gift certificate for Sprout Patterns. Will I be able to use it after December 16?
- If you would like to use your gift certificate balance on a Sprout Patterns purchase, please order by December 16. On December 17, all remaining Sprout Patterns gift certificate balances will be transferred into your Spoonflower account via Spoondollars. Please click here to see how to apply Spoondollars.
- How will I access the PDF sewing patterns and instructions that came with my Sprout Pattern project?
- Customers will be able to download all PDF patterns and instructions from past order confirmation emails or through their Sprout Patterns account until January 1, 2019. If you have trouble locating an existing Sprout Patterns PDF pattern or instructions, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org for further assistance.
- I was so excited to sew up one of the patterns I saw on Sprout’s website. Can I still make it?
- The patternmaker partners on Sprout are all established patternmakers. The majority of Sprout’s partners sell the sewing patterns offered through Sprout on their own websites. Please visit the specific patternmaker’s website (linked above) to browse their sewing pattern offerings!
- What are the best fabrics on Spoonflower to sew garments with?
- Our favorite woven fabrics are Cotton Poplin Ultra or Organic Cotton Sateen Ultra for shirting and Poly Crepe de Chine for a lightweight fabric with great drape. For knit fabrics, we love Cotton Spandex Jersey, Sport Lycra, and Performance Pique. We recommend purchasing a Spoonflower Sample Pack if you would like to see each fabric before ordering. Learn more about Spoonflower fabrics here.
- Can I still promote the designs in my Spoonflower shop using Sprout Patterns product renders?
- Sprout project renders on Spoonflower’s cross sell bar will be removed from Spoonflower.com on November 16. If you have created Sprout projects to display your designs and would like to save the rendered images, log into your Sprout Patterns account to download and save to your own device by December 31.
- What will happen to my Sprout Patterns commissions?
For additional assistance, please contact Spoonflower at email@example.com