Ready for a DIY project but you’re not into sewing? No problem! With Spoonflower’s Fleece, you can make a cozy blanket with just a couple simple tools. We’ll show you how to make a braided-edged blanket here, and you can get the tutorial for a knot-edge look in this tutorial. With a project this easy, you can make a lap blanket for a sick friend or whip up a blanket for a kid’s reading nook in no time! Check out the full video tutorial below, or scroll past to view the step-by-step guide.
Here’s What You’ll Need
There are many different ways to make a no-sew fleece blanket and we have two versions on the blog. Version 1 features a braided edge and Version 2 features a knotted edge. For this tutorial, we’re going to be making the braided edge version but you can see how to make the knotted edge version here.
Cut Out the Blanket Pieces
1. Begin by cutting two rectangles measuring 46 x 36” out of your main fabric.
2. Lay one rectangle on top of the other with wrong sides facing and all edges aligned accordingly.
3. Cut a 2” square off each corner of the blanket through both layers of fleece.
Braid the Blanket Edges
4. With both rectangles of Fleece still layered together, cut 1″ wide x 2″ tall strips around all four sides of the blanket. Make sure to cut through both layers of fabric!
Pro tip: Use a washable fabric pen and self-healing cutting mat to properly measure the height and width of your strips.
5. Once the strips are cut, fold each strip in half lengthwise (still keeping both layers together) and make a small incision at the center of the folded bottom on the fringe about ¼”-½” in length. Unfold. You should have a small, vertical hole centered in each strip.
6. Beginning at one corner of the blanket, grab two strips, keeping the layers together. Feed the right strip through the hole of the left strip. Make sure you are keeping the layers of fleece together as you feed the strips through the holes.
7. Continue feeding the strip to the right through the hole to the left all the way around the blanket until you reach the beginning corner of the blanket.
8. Take the last fringe strip and separate the layers of fleece. Feed one layer through the starting hole (to the left) then use both layers of fleece to tie a knot. Tuck the knot into the braided edge of the blanket.
You’re done! Time to cuddle up with your new Fleece blanket.
No-sew blankets are quick and easy project that make an ideal gift for friends and family of all ages. We’ve rounded up some of our large scale prints from the Marketplace to get you started. Shop them here!