Spoonflower has joined with Sprout Patterns again to show you how to stitch up a stretchy, sporty pair of leggings just in time for warm weather. The Sloan Leggings are comfy, stylish, and equally perfect for trail running and running errands. The pattern is for a simple well-fitting pair of leggings, with multiple lengths and a key pocket. Learn more (and get creating!) here. Choose your favorite Spoonflower design, create your leggings, and follow along with the video below. You’ll be comfortably stretching and lunging–or just hanging out with friends–in no time. Let’s get started!
If you liked this video, click the link below to subscribe to our Youtube channel for more DIY sewing and design tutorials!
- Your Sprout Patterns Project! (We recommend prewashing your fabric to prevent shrinkage. There’s nothing worse than forgetting to pre-wash your newly sewn, perfectly fitting garment to find that it no longer fits once washed.)
- Stretch or ballpoint needle
- Sewing machine with zig zag stitch or serger
- Scissors or rotary blade and cutting mat
- Optional: 1/4 yard knit or tricot fusible
- Optional: 1 yard of 3/8″ clear elastic
- Optional: twin needle for hemming
We opted not to use fusible interfacing / elastic for the waistband or to add the extra key pocket BUT the full directions with these steps will be emailed to you upon purchase of your Sloan Leggings.
Pattern Additions – This pattern comes with two versions you can make – View A is a regular pair of leggings and view B features piecing options to make your leggings unique. Both views include a separate shaped waistband for a flattering fit and cutting lines for capri and 3/4 length leggings on the original pattern. Okay, let’s jump in!
1. Start by cutting out your pattern pieces on the black lines, not the white margin around the pieces! You should have a front and back waistband, front and back waistband lining, and right and left leg pieces.
2. Pin and sew the front and back crotch seams, right sides together, matching notches.
3. Next, pin and sew the inseam from ankle to ankle.
4. Place front and back waistband pieces right sides together and pin in place. Sew the waistband front and back together at the side seams.
5. Repeat for the waistband lining front and back.
6. Pin the waistband and waistband lining, right sides together, along the top edge, matching up side seams.
7. Sew the waistband and waistband lining together and turn the sewn waistband right side out.
9. Pin the waistband and leggings right sides together, aligning the lower edges of the waistband and waistband lining with the top edge of the leggings. Match side seams and the center notches on the waistband with the side notches and center seam on the leggings.
10. Sew the waistband to the leggings.
11. Fold the legging hems up 1/2″ and pin in place. Hem the needles with a zigzag stitch.
Pro Tip: It is easier to sew a narrow opening like the ankle hem with your presser foot inside the leggings. If you are using a twin needle or coverhem machine, you will topstitch the hem, and the leggings will be inside out.
12. Turn the leggings right side out. Congratulations, your leggings are finished and fantastic. Try them on and get to lounging or lunging, whatever you’re in the mood for 😉
Need a little design inspiration for your pair of leggings? See what our community has curated with one of our newest features, Collections, and start your collection today!