On April 22, 1970, there was an uprising of more than 20 million Americans who stood up to demonstrate for a healthy, sustainable environment in impressive coast-to-coast rallies. Thousands of colleges and universities organized protests against the deterioration of the environment. Groups that had been individually fighting against oil spills, pollution, toxic dumps, pesticides, water insecurity, the loss of wilderness, and the extinction of wildlife suddenly realized they shared common values.
“For Earth Day 2017, communities must take the lead promoting Environmental and Climate Literacy. Now more than ever in recent history, people around the world are hungry to engage in public policy. It is up to all of us to use this unprecedented opportunity to build the change we need.”
At Spoonflower, this is something that we embrace everyday beginning with
the foundation of our products and processes:
- With radical innovation, we’ve modernized textile printing to consume no water and no heat
- Through the use of water-based inks and dyes, we don’t produce toxic effluents that require disposal
- Modern print-on-demand platform means we print only what is ordered, nothing more, nothing less
- The fabric that doesn’t meet our standards never makes it to the landfill. It is shredded or donated to encourage creativity and upcycling in our community. The shredded fabric is used for industrial applications like car upholstery, furniture stuffing, bedding, flooring, and more!
Sustainability initiatives permeate all realms here at Spoonflower HQ:
- Our packaging is 100% recyclable and/or made from recycled materials
- Investment to maintain a healthy environment by working to reduce our ecological impact and the amount of waste we produce
- From our employee garden to our reusable cloth napkins in the breakroom, we are always looking for meaningful ways to reduce and reuse.
- In the last two years we have diverted more than 2,000 pounds of waste from the landfill to our compost
- Our mixed paper, aluminum, and plastic recycling programs combine to further impact our ability to achieve our Renew – Repurpose – Recreate stance
Ready to get involved?
- Snap a pic of your Spoonflower Eco Canvas project and tag your Instagram photo with @spoonflower and hashtag #SpoonflowerEarthDay2017 by 10AM EDT April 24th.
- For every Instagram photo shared with our Earth Day hashtag, we’ll donate $1 to Recycle Across America.
- One lucky person will win 2 yards of Eco Canvas featuring their favorite Marketplace design!