If you’ve been keeping up with the Spoonflower community, you know that in April we launched our brand new Monthly Design Challenges and our weekly contests got a little makeover. In an effort to listen to our community and constantly improve, we are changing up the structure of our weekly challenges.
How it works: To “enter,” you are no longer required to post designs on social media with our specific hashtag. You’ll simply upload your design to Spoonflower, make it “public” and add in that week’s specific tag. Each week will have its own special tag, which is how participating designs will be found on Spoonflower.
We still encourage sharing your designs on social media, as this will help you gain exposure and feedback for your designs. However, the key difference is that this is no longer a requirement. We heard your feedback that it was difficult to find the designs submitted by your fellow designers across all social platforms, so we’re hoping this new format helps with that, and also brings more favorites and comments back to your designs on Spoonflower, helping your design’s chances of getting sold (woot!).
Will there be voting? There will still not be voting happening on the site, however — we will now be emailing our entire community each week with a link to view all of the weekly prompt submissions, driving more traffic to your designs. We’ll also continue to re-share as many entries as we can via our social media platforms.
How do you choose the themes? Themes are primarily chosen by keywords being searched for on our site and also by seasonality. By designing around trending topics, your designs are more likely to be successful in the Marketplace which puts you that much closer to getting that sweet bonus at the end of the month! So without further ado, here are July’s themes:
- June 27th – July 3: Summer Pineapples | Spoonflower Tag: July2016Pineapples. Usher in the first week of July with festive pineapples. Everyone’s favorite tropical fruit (and arguably, the prettiest!).
- July 4th – July 10th: Marbled | Spoonflower Tag: July2016Marbled. This metamorphic rockstar (sorry, we had to!) is having a real moment right now. We want to see your twist on marble with an original surface pattern showcasing this gleaming geologic stunner.
- July 11th – July 17th: Tropical Cactus Flower | Spoonflower Tag: July2016Cactus. Something about cactus flowers just transports us right to our favorite sandy beach destination. It’s no surprise that this is one of the most popularly searched terms on our site! How will you interpret this dreamy theme?
- July 18th – July 24th: Vintage Flamingo | Spoonflower Tag: July2016Flamingo. 1950’s lawn flamingos, anyone?
- July 25th – July 31st: Unicorns vs. Mermaids | Spoonflower Tag: July2016UnicornMermaid. Both adorable, both mythological-beings gracing different realms of the universe. Which mystic creature will reign supreme in your design?
Two winners from each month are randomly chosen to receive prizes. Our June & May winners will receive $25 each in Spoondollar credit, plus a bonus gift from Fiskars.
June’s winners: Aline Pellegrini and Karisa Marley.
-The Spoonflower Team