Spoonflower is one of the hottest brands in the DIY space, and one of North Carolina’s fastest-growing companies. Our web site makes it possible for individuals to create and sell unique fabrics, wallpaper and gift wrap. Many of the designers who use Spoonflower to create products also use it to sell their work, making Spoonflower the world’s largest marketplace of surface designs created by indie artists. The community of designers and shoppers who make up Spoonflower is central to what we do. Our goal is to continue to expand the reach of Spoonflower’s services internationally, and, more generally, to expand the opportunities available for individuals to express themselves through color, pattern and personalization. Our office in the RTP area of Durham offers a fun, creative environment and a small, close-knit team of people who love what they do.
The Operations Staff at Spoonflower help us serve our rapidly growing community of designers, sewists, and fabric lovers. Spoonflower strives to provide its customers with timely service and high quality products. This position is responsible for the floor operations at Spoonflower, which includes monitoring product quality, cutting, packing & shipping fabric, wallpaper, gift wrap and decals.
This position will be responsible for the following:
- Cutting down fabric, wallpaper and gift wrap as they are printed and prepare items for shipping.
- Quality assurance of all the products produced. The members of the Operations team are the last people to see our products before it reaches the customer and are accountable for making sure it is free of printing or material flaws. This requires the candidate to be a careful and conscientious person who pays attention to detail and respects and understands the expectations and needs of Spoonflower customers.
- Shipping finished products to customers to both domestic and international addresses. Assure the the orders are correct and routed to the correct customer.
- Loading rolls of paper and fabric onto heating machines, and operating the machines safely and efficiently.
Requirements for this Position
- Able to cut fabric safely using handheld rotary cutters.
- Basic computer literacy for operation of our internal and shipping softwares.
- Communications should be professional, and written communications should employ a college standard of grammar, spelling, and composition.
- Intrepid problem solving and improvisation. Good team communications, flexibility, and a sense of adventure are crucial to fixing things and minimizing the impact of problems.
- Able to move and load large rolls of fabric of up to 35 lbs and to load fabric onto heating machines
- Able to stand for prolonged periods of time as well as bend, climb, pull, push, balance, kneel, twist, and sit intermittently during the day.
- Flexible to work evenings and weekends and a flexible schedule of up to 30 hours per week
About Working @Spoonflower
Spoonflower is a unique amalgam of individuals with exceptional skills in their areas of expertise that come together to foster and drive the success of Spoonflower. Members of this team need to have:
- excellent communication skills in writing and in person
- good problem-solving and the ability to improvise and adapt to a changing workflow.
- a commitment to hard work, dedication, enthusiasm and a sense of humor.
- the desire to be part of a small but rapidly growing company and who would like to grow along with us.
- understanding that we operate 24/7 and some of our positions will some weekends.
Life @ Spoonflower
- 401k plan participation for full and part time employees with company match
- The equivalent of 3 yards of custom fabric, wallpaper or decals per month
- Casual dress code
- Too many snacks
- Spoonfun Events such as Friday Lunches and seasonal events
- A tightly knit team that values spontaneity, creativity, and collaboration
We are thrilled to be a part of the Durham Living Wage Project. Our commitment to providing our employees with a living wage is just one of the ways in which Spoonflower pays it forward. New Spoonflower employee wages start at $11/hour. After the successful completion of a 90- day probationary period, you will be eligible for a base wage increase to $12.53 per hour.
The application process for Spoonflower is unique, so please take the time to read the instructions below:
- Cover letters are important! We are as interested in knowing who you are as we are in knowing what you have done. Please do not send just a resume.
- In your letter specify which position you are applying for, and include your name and contact information
- Include in your letter a URL for any/all your online material that you would like to share with us including resume, blog, or portfolio of work.
- Use the link below to paste your cover letter into the message box.