Fabric8 Contest: Geek Chic. Fabric8 is an annual contest to discover eight bold, modern fabric collections from designers the world has yet to hear from. The ultimate winner of the contest will receive a chance to release a collection through Robert Kaufman. See the contest home page for details and rules. Voting for the final collections will begin on June 6ty, 2013.
Greek Myths. This is the contest that will fall the week after the semi-final round of Fabric8. Create a fabric design inspired by a Greek myth (or myths). Previews will be shown at the fat quarter size (21" x 18"). Deadline for entry is Tuesday, May 14, 2013.
Mod Wallpaper (3 colors). This is a color-limited contest for 'Mod' designs (as in designs influenced by the modernist subculture of the late 1950s and early 1960s) intended for wallpaper. Designs entered into this contest can use no more than three colors (with black or white as a possible 4th color). Previews will be shown at the fat quarter fabric size (21" x 18"). Deadline for entry is Tuesday, May 21, 2013.
Frogs. Where we live, spring nights tend to turn into joyous and noisy frog parties. To celebrate our amorous little friends, this week's theme is fabric designs featuring frogs. Previews will be show at a swatch size (8" x 8"). Deadline for entry is Tuesday, May 28, 2013.
Farmers Market. In honor of the many edible pleasures that arrive alongside the warm season everywhere, this week we want designers to create fabric designs celebrating farmers' markets. Previews will be shown at the fat quarter fabric size (21" x 18"). Deadline for entry is Tuesday, June 11, 2013 (after the Fabric8 final round).
Midsummer Night's Dream (palette-restricted). With summer solstice arriving on June 21, we decided to make this contest all about fabric designs inspired by Shakespeare's Midsummer Night's Dream. All designs submitted must use the restricted palette on the right (max of five colors). The colors are RGB hex codes #868195, #dbd00a, #473240, #888470, and white (#ffffff). Previews will be shown at the fat quarter fabric size (21" x 18"). Deadline for entry is Tuesday, June 18, 2013.
Below please find the rules for participating in our Fabric Of the Week Contests
- Log in to Spoonflower. If you don't have an account, create one.
- Go to your design library. If you don't yet have any designs, upload the design you wish to enter.
- On your design library page, pull down the Action menu underneath the design you wish to enter in the contest, then select the contest you wish to enter under Enter in Contest.
- Choose the layout option for your design, then click the button that reads "Enter Contest". If you wish to change the size/dpi of your design, you can do so using the edit option on this page.
- Be sure to wait until your entry preview fully loads, with a message confirming your contest entry, before you leave the page.
- If you decide to enter a different design or make changes, you can withdraw a design by following the same steps, then entering a new design.
- You can only have one design active in the contest at a time. Once the entry period closes, we will 'freeze' the submitted designs.
Themed Contest Rules (updated 1/27/2012)
- Themed contests are open to ALL Spoonflower community members regardless of whether or not your designs have been featured in - or won - previous fabric of the week contests.
- You have to enter each themed contest using the process described above.
- You can enter only ONE DESIGN in each contest.
- Please do NOT enter designs in multiple contests. If you have entered a design in one contest and it loses, try something new!
- Based on questions we receive, we may post modifications or clarifications to the theme requirements on the blog during the days and weeks leading up to the deadline, so check back periodically.
- If we decide that a submitted design is not consistent with the theme, we will withdraw it.
- Please do not submit a design created by someone else.
Overview. The general idea behind our Fabric Of the Week Contest is that each week members of the Spoonflower community choose to submit designs and we put them up for voting to determine the Fabric Of the Week. Designs can be entered by the designer via our entry process, but each week the winning fabric is selected by community voting. The winning fabric is then promoted through our weekly email, blog, etc. as a fabric for sale. In addition to earning 10% on any fabric sold, the winning designer receives a $100 Spoondollar credit that can be applied to purchases on the site, but which is not redeemable for cash.
Voting. Each week we will take fabric designs submitted by their creators to the contest and open them to voting from the community. At the end of the voting period, the design with the most votes is declared the winner. One vote per person is counted. Duplicate votes are removed automatically from the totals. The full results of voting are generally posted on the blog on the day the winner is announced.
Prize. If your design is chosen as the fabric of the week you will receive $100 in Spoondollar credit that can be used to buy fabric on Spoonflower but that cannot be redeemed for cash. This has no effect on the 10% commission you earn from sales of your winning fabric through our efforts to promote the contest.
If you enter your design, we may or may not offer it to the community for possible selection as the Fabric Of the Week. Only the winner will receive the Spoondollar credit. The best motivation for submitting a design is the chance to share your work with an amazing community of your peers. Please note that all submitted designs must be original and comply with the Spoonflower Terms of Service.
As of July 7, 2011, we began making all ten of the top ten designs in each competition available for sale. The designers are free to change the for-sale status of their own designs at any time.
- All submitted designs must be your own (you cannot nominate other people's designs or use designs based upon other people's work)
- Designs must already be in your Spoonflower account. To have a Spoonflower account, you have to have registered on the site and uploaded a design. Doing so is free, by the way.
- Designs in the contests must be public (to edit which of your designs are public, visit the Designs page in your Spoonflower account.). Please submit no more than one design for each contest. Thanks!
While we do not require that a design submitted to the contest have been purchased first (by the designer), please consider that it's a good idea to at least see for yourself what your design looks like on fabric before entering it in a public contest. Swatches are only $5!
What if I don't want my design to be purchased by other people? We will never sell or offer for voting any design without explicit permission from its creator. Making your design public on Spoonflower does NOT mean that it will appear in a Fabric-Of-the-Week contest. In order to appear in the contest you must specifically submit a design using the process described above. Note that the top ten designs in each contest will be made available for sale.
Can I submit more than one design? Please submit no more than one design for each themed contest.
Am I giving up copyright of my design by entering it? You are not giving up ownership of your design, but by entering your design in the contest you give us the non-exclusive right to make it available for sale in the Spoonflower marketplace for no less than a week per the usual terms of the Spoonflower marketplace, which give you a 10% commission on retail sales. You will always be credited for your design and you are free to continue to sell it on your own now and in the future. After a week, you are also free to remove your winning design from the marketplace.
Please always feel free to let us know what you think by emailing us.
- Birthdays. Closed on April 30, 2013.
- Sailing (palette-restricted). Closed on April 23, 2013.
- Pop Art Chickens. Closed on April 16, 2013.
- Gardening Tools. Closed on April 9, 2013.
- Baby Animals. Closed on April 2, 2013.
- Living In A Jane Austen Novel. Closed March 26, 2013.
- Painted Eggs. Closed March 19, 2013.
- 2013 Staff Challenge. Closed March 12, 2013.
- Girl Power. Closed March 5, 2013.
- Lion-Lamb. Closed Feb. 26, 2013.
- Critter Pillow Slip Cut & Sew. Closed. Feb. 19, 2013.
- African-Inspired. Closed Feb. 12, 2013.
- Love Letters. Closed Feb. 5, 2013.
- Mardi Gras. Closed Jan. 29, 2013.
- Australian Animals. Closed Jan. 22, 1013.
- Murder-Mystery Toile. Closed Jan. 15, 2013.
- Zodiac. Closed Jan. 8, 2013.
- Year of the Snake. Closed Jan. 1, 2013.
- Snowflakes. Closed Dec. 18, 2012.
- Sweets. Closed Dec. 11, 2012.
- Gift Tags. Closed Dec. 4, 2012.
- Under the Sea: One-Yard Wonders. Closed Nov. 27, 2012.
- Nasher-Matisse. Closed Nov. 20, 2012.
- Flights Of Fancy. Closed Nov. 13, 2012.
- Holiday Cocktail Napkins. Closed Nov 6, 2012.
- Be My Hero Contest. Closed Oct 30, 2012.
- Arrows. Closed on October 23, 2012.
- 2013 Tea Towel Calendars. Closed on October 16, 2012.
- Creepy Crawlies Closed on October 9, 2012.
- Zombie Plush Toy Patterns. Closed on October 2, 2012.
- Eighties Embroidery Patterns. Closed on September 25, 2012.
- Earth Science. Closed on September 18, 2012.
- Donkeys & Elephants. Closed on September 11, 2012.
- Typewriters. Closed on September 4, 2012.
- Zig-Zag Cheater Quilt. Closed on August 28, 2012.
- School Supplies. Closed on August 21, 2012.
- Camping. Closed on August 14, 2012.
- Craft Party Cut & Sew. Closed on August 7, 2012.
- Aviation. Closed on July 31, 2012.
- Olympic Celebration. Closed on July 24, 2012.
- Mid-century Cocktail Dress Print. Closed on July 17, 2012.
- Paper Collage Cakes. Closed on July 10, 2012.
- Pomegranates. Closed on July 3rd, 2012.
- Stars & Stripes. Closed on June 26, 2012.
- Extinct Animals. Closed on June 19, 2012.
- Geometric Shapes (palette-limited). Closed on June 5, 2012.
- Family Crest. Closed on May 29, 2012.
- Motorcycles. Closed on May 22, 2012.
- Hand-Drawn. Closed May 15, 2012.
- Retro-Kitchen (palette-restricted). Entries closed May 8, 2012.
- What's the New Owl? Closed April 24, 2012.
- Hat Patterns. Closed April 17, 2012.
- Sewing Celebration. Closed April 10, 2012.
- Book Love. Closed April 3, 2012.
- 1-Yard Bag Patterns. Closed Mar. 27, 2012.
- Urban Sightings. Closed Mar. 20, 2012.
- Staff Challenge Contest (2012). Closed Mar. 13, 2012.
- Robot Cheater QuiltClosed Mar. 6, 2012.
- Your Town Toile de JouyClosed Feb. 28, 2012.
- BicyclesClosed Feb. 21, 2012.
- JellyfishClosed Feb. 14, 2012.
- Ditsy Sea CreaturesClosed Feb. 7, 2012 [ a definition]
- Art DecoClosed Jan. 31, 2012.
- Graffiti / Street ArtClosed Jan. 24, 2012.
- Outdated Technology. Closed Jan. 17, 2012.
- Cityscapes. Closed Jan. 10, 2012.
- Coordinates. Closed Jan. 3, 2012.
- Recipes. Closed Dec. 27, 2011.
- Evergreens (4-color). Closed Dec. 20.
- Bells. Closed Dec. 13,2011.
- Cloth Baby Books. Closed Dec. 6, 2011.
- Feathers. Closed Nov 29, 2011.
- Kites. Closed Nov. 22, 2011.
- Advent Calendar Kits. Closed Nov. 15, 2011.
- Tea towel calendar contest. Closed Nov. 8, 2011.
- Military. Closed on Nov. 1, 2011.
- Cameos. Closed on Oct. 25, 2011.
- Hanging Ornament Patterns. Closed on Oct. 18, 2011.
- Lucha Libre Mask Pattern. Closed Oct. 11, 2011.
- Root Vegetable. Closed Oct. 4, 2011.
- Ditsy Prints. Closed Sept. 27, 2011.
- Jack O' Lantern Plushie Pattern. Closed Sept. 20, 2011.
- Autumn (3-colors). Closed September 13, 2011.
- Birds (palette-limited). Closed September 6, 2011.
- Bowling. Closed August 30, 2011.
- Plushie Pattern. Closed August 23, 2011.
- Hawaiian Cheater Quilt. Closed August 16, 2011.
- Circus. Closed August 9, 2011.
- Sharks. Closed on August 2, 2011.
- Coffee. Closed on July 26, 2011.
- Roller Derby. Closed on July 19, 2011.
- One-Yard Skirt Pattern. Closed on July 12, 2011.
- Butterflies (palette-limited). Closed on July 5, 2011.
- Fireworks. Closed on June 28, 2011.
- Kids' Contest (12 & under). Closed on June 21, 2011.
- Puzzles. Entries closed June 14, 2011.
- 18" cloth napkin pattern: crayons. Entries closed June 7, 2011.
- Fishing. Entries closed May 31, 2011.
- Imaginary Animals. Entries closed May 24, 2011.
- Folk Tales. Entries closed May 17, 2011.
- Ice Cream. Entries closed May 10, 2011.
- Black & White. Entries closed May 3, 2011.
- Project Selvage. (www.ProjectSelvage.com) Entries closed March 24th, 2011. Voting for the final round opened on April 28th and ended on May 4th.
- Poetry. Entries closed on April 19, 2011.
- Alphabet. Entries closed on April 12, 2011.
- Rain. Entries closed April 1, 2011.
- Maps. Entries closed March 22, 2011.
- Squid. Entries closed March 15, 2011.
- Leprechauns. Entries closed March 8, 2011.
- Paisley. Entries closed March 1, 2011.
- Breakfast. Entries closed Feb. 22, 2011.
- Pointillism. Entries closed on Tuesday, Feb. 15th, 2011.
- Year Of the Rabbit. Voting ended on Wed., Feb. 16th.
- Spoonflower Staff Contest. Voting closed on Wednesday, February 9, 2011
- Jokers & Fools. Entries closed on Jan. 25, 2011.
- Civil Rights Toile de Jouy. Entries closed on Jan. 18, 2011.
- Rococo. Entries closed on Jan. 11, 2011.
- Large Scale Botanicals (palette-restricted). Entries closed on Jan. 4, 2011.
- Bunting. Entries closed on Dec. 28, 2010.
- Cats. Entries closed on Dec. 21, 2010.
- Dogs. Entries closed on Dec. 14, 2010.
- Time Travel. Entries closed on Dec. 7, 2010.
- 12 Days of Christmas. Entries closed on Nov. 30, 2010.
- Candles. Entries closed on Nov. 23, 2010.
- Christmas Stocking Patterns. Entries closed on Nov. 16, 2010.
- Celebrity Fabric Design Smackdown. Entries closed on Nov. 9, 2010.
- 2011 Tea-Towel Calendars. Entries closed on Nov. 2, 2010.
- 18" Doll Clothes. Entries closed on Oct. 19, 2010.
- Scanned Nature Items. Entries closed on Oct. 12, 2010.
- Vampires. Entries closed on October 5, 2010.
- Gourds. Entries closed on September 28, 2010.
- Kawaii. Entries closed on September 21, 2010.
- Halloween masks. Entries closed on September 14, 2010.
- Border prints. Entries closed on September 7, 2010.
- Carousels. Entries closed on Aug. 31, 2010.
- Tractors. Entries closed on Aug. 24, 2010.
- Windows & Doors. Entries closed on Aug. 17, 2010.
- Surrealist Fruit. Entries closed on Aug. 10, 2010.
- Camouflage. Entries closed on Aug. 3, 2010.
- Desert. Entries closed on July 27, 2010.
- Paper Collage. Entries closed on July 20, 2010.
- Summer Flowers (palette-restricted). Entries closed on July 13, 2010.
- Travel. Entries closed on July 6, 2010.
- Cheater Quilts. Entries closed on June 29, 2010.
- Nautical. Entries closed on June 22, 1010.
- Apron Patterns. Entries closed on June 15, 2010.
- Robots! Entries closed Tuesday, June 8, 2010.
- Medieval. Entries closed June 1, 2010.
- Tiki. Entries closed May 25, 2010.
- Fifties (palette-restricted). Entries closed Tuesday, May 18, 2010.
- Puppets. Entries closed Tuesday, May 11, 2010.
- Cocktails. Entries closed Tuesday, May 4, 2010.
- Musical Instruments. Entries closed on April 27.
- Shoes. Entries closed on April 20.
- Tessellations. Entries closed on Tuesday, April 13.
- Water Colors. Entries closed on April 6, 2010.
- Gardens. Entries close on Tuesday, March 30, 2010, at noon EST. CLOSED.
- Daffodils. Entries close on Tuesday, March 23, 2010, at noon EST. CLOSED.
- Art Nouveau. [palette-restricted] Entries closed on March 16, 2010. CLOSED.
- Tattoos. Entries close on Tuesday, March 9, 2010, at noon EST. CLOSED.
- Spoonflower/Boba Baby Carrier Contest:CONTEST DETAILS HERE. CLOSED.