Fabric, Wallpaper, Decal and/or Gift Wrap lover?
Have a passion for the DIY ethos?
Driven to help improve people's power to express themselves?
Then we are looking for candidates like you! Spoonflower is seeking well-organized, exceptional people to join a hardworking Internet start-up dedicated to the idea of using technology to help people share their creativity.
As of July 7, 2014 we have the following positions available
- Senior Customer Service Manager
- Operations Staff
About Working @Spoonflower
At Spoonflower, we offer print on-demand fabric, wallpaper, decals and gift wrap. Our office is located in the RTP area of Durham and we offer a fun, creative environment and a close-knit team of people who love what they do. Spoonflower is a unique amalgam of individuals with exceptional skills in their areas of expertise that come together to foster and drive the success of Spoonflower. Members of this team need to have:
- excellent communication skills in writing and in person.
- good problem-solving and the ability to improvise and adapt to a changing workflow.
- a commitment to hard work, dedication, enthusiasm and a sense of humor.
- the desire to be part of a small but rapidly growing company.
- understanding that we operate 24/7 and some of our positions will require second-shift hours and some weekends.
Spoonflower Missions Statement
To inspire individuals to make, buy and sell unique products built around color and pattern.
Spoonflower Core Values
Creativity and Customer Focus
We set out to create an environment and a set of tools that empower individual creativity. Like us, our customers are designers and makers and we treat them as we would wish to be treated ourselves.
At Spoonflower, we are intrepid, hard-working, and dedicated to what we do. We embrace an entrepreneurial spirit and grow through innovation and problem-solving. We take pride and accountability in our work, set high standards of excellence and productivity, and are willing to learn and take on new challenges.
We communicate with one another and with our customers with honesty and humility. We strive for transparency, which means seeking to be candid and direct and to align what we do with what we say and promise to one another.
We enjoy an informal, passionate and collaborative environment that inspires our employees and customers to create beautiful things. We encourage and embrace individuality. We believe in celebrating wins with joy, goodies and good times!
Guided by the needs of our community, we strive to deserve its trust. We respect and value the products that our customers entrust us to make. We pursue quality not only in what we make and sell, but in the materials, processes and technologies we use, always striving to make them better and more sustainable. We challenge ourselves to continually improve how we impact the world with our company.
Life @ Spoonflower
- Full time employees are eligible for Health Benefits, short and long term disability, 3 weeks (15 days) of annual paid time off and 10 paid holidays.
- 401k plan participation for full and part time employees with company match
- Monthly allowance to purchase fabric, wallpaper, decals or gift wrap.
- Casual dress code
- Too many snacks
- Spoonfun Events such as Friday Lunches and seasonal events
- A tightly knit team that values spontaneity, creativity, and collaboration
To apply for open positions
The application process for Spoonflower is unique, so please take the time to read the instructions below:
- Cover letters are important! Please do not send just a resume.
- Please prepare a brief unformatted text document as a cover letter that describes your particular qualifications and suitability for Spoonflower.
- In your letter specify which position you are applying for, and include your name and contact information
- Include in your letter a URL for all your online material that you would like to share with us including resume, blog, or portfolio of work.
- Use the link below to paste your cover letter into the message box.
Please note: We are not able to pay relocation costs for individuals who are not local to this area.
Senior Customer Service Manager
We’re looking for an experienced manager to oversee our growing customer service department and to ensure that our team of customer advocates is providing the highest quality support to members of the Spoonflower community in the most efficient way possible. The ideal candidate is someone with five or more years experience managing a team or teams of ten or more employees. We are looking for someone with practical, hands-on experience who can also bring intelligence, insight and creativity to bear on strategies for creating a great customer experience through online support. The right candidate will have the opportunity to be part of the leadership team of a cutting-edge startup and to help us identify and implement systems to improve efficiency, happiness and training as we grow.
This position will be responsible for the following:
- Ensuring high-quality interactions with customers.
- Supporting and developing a productive, team-based work environment.
- Directing the expansion of customer service strategies for email, chat, and phone support.
- Identifying opportunities for improving the customer experience.
- Developing employees by engaging in the employee life cycle (recruiting, hiring, training, mentorship and performance reviews).
- Identifying, developing and facilitating on-going training for the customer service team.
- Managing financial objectives and having a good command of the department budget.
- Planning for and facilitating the weekly customer service meeting.
- Supporting cross-functional relationships.
Requirements for this position:
- 5+ years of management experience including significant roles in customer or technical support functions delivered via email, chat, and phone.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- University-level writing and research skills required
- Intermediate-level typing skills
- Comfort with software and new technology
- Ability to prioritize and plan work activities and use time efficiently
- Adaptability to changes in the work environment and skill at managing competing demands
Part-Time Operations Staff
The Operations Staff at Spoonflower help us serve our rapidly growing community of designers, sewists, and fabric lovers. Spoonflower strives to provide its customers with timely service and high quality products. This position is responsible for the floor operations at Spoonflower, which includes monitoring product quality, cutting, packing & shipping fabric, wallpaper, gift wrap and decals.
This position will be responsible for the following:
- Cutting down fabric, wallpaper, gift wrap and decals as they are printed and prepare items for shipping.
- Quality assurance of all the products produced. The members of the Operations team are the last people to see our products before it reaches the customer and are accountable for making sure it is free of printing or material flaws.This requires the candidate to be a careful and conscientious person who pays attention to detail and respects and understands the expectations and needs of Spoonflower customers.
- Shipping finished products to customers to both domestic and international addresses. Assure the the orders are correct and routed to the correct customer.
- Loading rolls of paper and fabric onto heating machines, and operating the machines safely and efficiently.
Requirements for this position
- Able to cut fabric safely using handheld rotary cutters.
- Basic computer literacy for operation of our internal and shipping softwares.
- Communications should be professional, and written communications should employ a college standard of grammar, spelling, and composition.
- Intrepid problem solving and improvisation. Good team communications, flexibility, and a sense of adventure are crucial to fixing things and minimizing the impact of problems.
- Able to move and load large rolls of fabric of up to 35 lbs and to load fabric onto heating machines
- Able to stand for prolonged periods of time as well as bend, climb, pull, push, balance, kneel, twist, and sit intermittently during the day.
- Flexible to work evenings and weekends and a flexible schedule of up to 30 hours per week