Fabric, Wallpaper, Decal and/or Gift Wrap lover?
Have a passion for the DIY ethos?
Driven to help improve people's power to express themselves?
Then we are looking for candidates like you! Spoonflower is seeking well-organized, exceptional people to join a hardworking Internet start-up dedicated to the idea of using technology to help people share their creativity.
As of 11/04/2013, we are hiring for the following positions:
- Full-Stack Software Engineer
- Image-Processing Engineer
- Network Administrator
- User Experience Designer
Spoonflower, a website that offers print on demand fabric, is one of North Carolina's fastest growing startups. Artists and crafters from all over the world upload their designs to purchase and share with the Spoonflower community. Our office in the RTP area of Durham offers a fun, creative environment and a small, close-knit team of people who love what they do.
About Working @Spoonflower
Spoonflower is a unique amalgam of individuals with exceptional skills in their areas of expertise that come together to foster and drive the success of Spoonflower. Members of this team need to have:
- excellent communication skills in writing and in person
- good problem-solving and the ability to improvise and adapt to a changing workflow.
- a commitment to hard work, dedication, enthusiasm and a sense of humor.
- the desire to be part of a small but rapidly growing company
- understanding that we operate 24/7 and some of our positions will require second-shift hours and some weekends.
Spoonflower Core Values
Creativity and Customer Focus
We set out to create an environment and a set of tools that empower individual creativity. Like us, our customers are designers and makers and we treat them as we would wish to be treated ourselves.
At Spoonflower, we are intrepid, hard-working, and dedicated to what we do. We embrace an entrepreneurial spirit and grow through innovation and problem-solving. We take pride and accountability in our work, set high standards of excellence and productivity, and are willing to learn and take on new challenges.
We communicate with one another and with our customers with honesty and humility. We strive for transparency, which means seeking to be candid and direct and to align what we do with what we say and promise to one another.
We enjoy an informal, passionate and collaborative environment that inspires our employees and customers to create beautiful things. We encourage and embrace individuality. We believe in celebrating wins with joy, goodies and good times!
Guided by the needs of our community, we strive to deserve its trust. We respect and value the products that our customers entrust us to make. We pursue quality not only in what we make and sell, but in the materials, processes and technologies we use, always striving to make them better and more sustainable. We challenge ourselves to continually improve how we impact the world with our company.
Life @ Spoonflower
- Full time employees are eligible for Health Benefits, short and long term disability and 3 weeks (15 days) of annual paid time off
- 401k plan participation for full and part time employees with company match
- The equivalent of 3 yards of custom fabric, wallpaper or decals per month
- Casual dress code
- Too many snacks
- Spoonfun Events such as Friday Lunches and seasonal events
- A tightly knit team that values spontaneity, creativity, and collaboration
To apply for open positions
The application process for Spoonflower is unique, so please take the time to read the instructions below:
- Cover letters are important! Please do not send just a resume.
- Please prepare a brief unformatted text document as a cover letter that describes your particular qualifications and suitability for Spoonflower.
- In your letter specify which position you are applying for, and include your name and contact information
- Include in your letter a URL for all your online material that you would like to share with us including resume, blog, or portfolio of work.
- Use the link below to paste your cover letter into the message box.
Full Stack Engineer
We are seeking a Full Stack Engineer to help us build out our product offering, develop new features and work on our underlying infrastructure. This position is best suited for a creative, experienced engineer who lives and breathes the full stack, from Amazon EC2, to Memcache, MySQL, to Rails, Ruby, and front-end stuff (HTML/CSS/JS/Jquery). The ideal candidate should be able to provide meaningful collaboration, work well with tight knit engineering team and be excited for the opportunity to contribute directly to the development and maintenance of Spoonflower's technology.
This position will be responsible for the following:
- Continuously improving the existing codebase, including capture and tracking of defects, and prioritization of cure efforts.
- Monitoring quality, including the development and maintenance of robust unit and functional test coverage and methodologies for continuous code release.
- Implementing compelling, functional user interfaces that support the success of our Spoonflower technology
- Identifying and addressing performance bottlenecks
- Participating in design and code reviews
- Defining and communicating best practices for web-based user interface engineering across the organization
- 5+ years of experience designing and developing high transactional web applications, including experience using Rails
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience. Degree preferably in CS or related discipline (advanced degree would be great)
- Experience working in a professional team, but retain a passion for the bare bones ingenuity required by a startup.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Able to manage weekly priorities in the execution of new functionality
Image Processing Engineer
We are seeking an Image Processing Engineer to assist in designing system architecture and evaluating image processing solutions.The position will be responsible for research, development and implementing of a live, user-facing image processing sub-system. The ideal candidate should be able to provide meaningful collaboration, work well with a tight knit engineering team and be excited for the opportunity to contribute directly to the development and maintenance of Spoonflower's technology.This position will be responsible for the following:
- Define an API for our internal image processing service, to include thumbnailing, format conversion, vector to raster conversion, resizing, compositing, tiling, collage creation, color profile conversion, rendering a texture onto a 3-d mesh.
- Implement server-based solutions using a mix of open source and proprietary engines, including, Imagemagick, Imagescience, libtiff, Ghostscript, Blender, and Inkscape
- Submit fixes and improvements to these projects
- Optimize the build of these engines for speed
- Create a test suite that validates accuracy and performance of API calls
- Create a set of clients that illustrate the use cases, so that anyone with a little experience can use the services.
- Collaboratie with the team of engineers to integrate new techniques with Spoonflower’s preview tools.
- 3 years of experience in image processing
- Experience with C, Ruby
- Active history in open source projects
- Deep knowledge of Adobe tools
- Imagemagick script writing
- Creation of models, automation of rendering in Blender
- Understanding of color management systems
- Experience creating and using web-based services
We are seeking a Network Administrator to manage and maintain Spoonflower’s existing infrastructure. This position will be responsible for analyzing, escalated troubleshooting and repairing the LAN and telecommunications equipment and software, documentation, and maintaining the network hardware and systems. The ideal candidate should be able to provide meaningful collaboration, work well with a tight knit engineering team and be excited for the opportunity contribute directly to the development and maintenance of Spoonflower's technology.This position will be responsible for the following:
- Administer and maintain existing network and systems infrastructure as well as implement and configure additional network requirements as the company grows
- Monitor and test network performance and security to ensure that the network is working at optimal operation and performance
- Perform daily backup operations, ensuring that all required file systems and system data are successfully backed up to the appropriate media.
- System thresholding and monitoring
- Support desktop and print systems, including our antique hardwired fabric printers
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in a similar capacity
- Approachable, good listener, problem solver
- Knowledge of the Cisco Product Line
- Knowledge of Linux Environment
- Experience with AWS services, specifically S3, EC2, RDS, and cloudwatch
- Drive to continuously master best practices in network architecture
- Bachelor’s degree in related field is preferred but not required
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to prioritize workload
User Experience Engineer
We are currently seeking a User Experience Engineer to own the user experience on the Spoonflower Web site, a large, database-driven e-commerce application with an array of social features.The candidate for this position should have a strong combination of design and front-end architecture skills. The ideal candidate should be able to provide meaningful collaboration, work well with a tight knit engineering team and be excited for the opportunity contribute directly to the development and maintenance of Spoonflower's technology.
This position will be responsible for the following:
- User experience (UX) design, conceptualization, specification and prototyping
- CSS creation and optimization, managing cross-browser development
- Collaborative leadership in a team environment: meeting facilitation, listening skills
- Being an advocate for best practices, great usability/user-centered design and exceptional quality
- Front end speed, optimization of page loading sequence
- Developing a visual language style for the web site
- Leading user research and usability testing
- Contribution to creation of development priorities, feature selection
Requirements for this position:
- 3+ years of experience and a strong portfolio of recent UI and UX work
- Comfort with Ruby On Rails (ROR) development environment
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite
- Experience with user testing, information architecture and user centered design
- Ability to brainstorm, research, wireframe, design and refine user experiences for web sites, microsites (landing pages), and web applications
- Strong wire framing and paper prototyping skills
- Good at articulating design concepts and rationale to team members
- Attention to detail, especially with regard to layout and design
- Strong understanding of e-commerce sites and best practices
- Understanding of cross media design issues
- Excellent understanding of color, typography, layout and iconography