Fabric, Wallpaper, Decal and/or Gift Wrap lover?
Have a passion for the DIY ethos?
Driven to help improve people's power to express themselves?
Then we are looking for candidates like you! Spoonflower is seeking well-organized, exceptional people to join a hardworking Internet start-up dedicated to the idea of using technology to help people share their creativity.
As of March 4, 2014, we are hiring for the following positions:
- Operations Staff
- 3rd Shift Print Operators
About Working @Spoonflower
At Spoonflower, we offer print on-demand fabric, wallpaper, decals and gift wrap. Our office is located in the RTP area of Durham and we offer a fun, creative environment and a close-knit team of people who love what they do. Spoonflower is a unique amalgam of individuals with exceptional skills in their areas of expertise that come together to foster and drive the success of Spoonflower. Members of this team need to have:
- excellent communication skills in writing and in person.
- good problem-solving and the ability to improvise and adapt to a changing workflow.
- a commitment to hard work, dedication, enthusiasm and a sense of humor.
- the desire to be part of a small but rapidly growing company.
- understanding that we operate 24/7 and some of our positions will require second-shift hours and some weekends.
Spoonflower Core Values
Creativity and Customer Focus
We set out to create an environment and a set of tools that empower individual creativity. Like us, our customers are designers and makers and we treat them as we would wish to be treated ourselves.
At Spoonflower, we are intrepid, hard-working, and dedicated to what we do. We embrace an entrepreneurial spirit and grow through innovation and problem-solving. We take pride and accountability in our work, set high standards of excellence and productivity, and are willing to learn and take on new challenges.
We communicate with one another and with our customers with honesty and humility. We strive for transparency, which means seeking to be candid and direct and to align what we do with what we say and promise to one another.
We enjoy an informal, passionate and collaborative environment that inspires our employees and customers to create beautiful things. We encourage and embrace individuality. We believe in celebrating wins with joy, goodies and good times!
Guided by the needs of our community, we strive to deserve its trust. We respect and value the products that our customers entrust us to make. We pursue quality not only in what we make and sell, but in the materials, processes and technologies we use, always striving to make them better and more sustainable. We challenge ourselves to continually improve how we impact the world with our company.
Life @ Spoonflower
- Full time employees are eligible for Health Benefits, short and long term disability, 3 weeks (15 days) of annual paid time off and 10 paid holidays.
- 401k plan participation for full and part time employees with company match
- Monthly allowance to purchase fabric, wallpaper, decals or gift wrap.
- Casual dress code
- Too many snacks
- Spoonfun Events such as Friday Lunches and seasonal events
- A tightly knit team that values spontaneity, creativity, and collaboration
To apply for open positions
The application process for Spoonflower is unique, so please take the time to read the instructions below:
- Cover letters are important! Please do not send just a resume.
- Please prepare a brief unformatted text document as a cover letter that describes your particular qualifications and suitability for Spoonflower.
- In your letter specify which position you are applying for, and include your name and contact information
- Include in your letter a URL for all your online material that you would like to share with us including resume, blog, or portfolio of work.
- Use the link below to paste your cover letter into the message box.
Please note: We are not able to pay relocation costs for individuals who are not local to this area.
The Operations Staff at Spoonflower help us serve our rapidly growing community. This position is responsible for the floor operations at Spoonflower, which includes monitoring product quality, cutting, packing & shipping fabric, wallpaper, gift wrap and decals.
We are hiring for part time positions for second shift and weekends. Candidate must have a flexible schedule and be able to work up to 30 hours per week during busy cycles.
This position will be responsible for the following:
- Cutting down fabric, wallpaper, gift wrap and decals as they are printed and prepare items for shipping.
- Quality assurance of all the products produced. The members of the Operations team are the last people to see our products before it reaches the customer and are accountable for making sure it is free of printing or material flaws.This requires the candidate to be a careful and conscientious person who pays attention to detail and respects and understands the expectations and needs of Spoonflower customers.
- Shipping finished products to customers to both domestic and international addresses. Assure the the orders are correct and routed to the correct customer.
- Loading rolls of paper and fabric onto heating machines, and operating the machines safely and efficiently.
Requirements for this position
- Able to cut fabric safely using handheld rotary cutters.
- Basic computer literacy for operation of our internal and shipping softwares.
- Communications should be professional, and written communications should employ a college standard of grammar, spelling, and composition.
- Intrepid problem solving and improvisation. Good team communications, flexibility, and a sense of adventure are crucial to fixing things and minimizing the impact of problems.
- Able to move and load large rolls of fabric of up to 35 lbs and to load fabric onto heating machines
- Able to stand for prolonged periods of time as well as bend, climb, pull, push, balance, kneel, twist, and sit intermittently during the day.
Third Shift Print Operators
Print Operators at Spoonflower help us serve our rapidly growing community of designers, sewists, and fabric lovers. Spoonflower strives to provide its customers with timely service and high quality products. This position is responsible for the operation of our large-format inkjet printers in order to produce orders on fabric, wallpaper, gift wrap and decals.
We are hiring for our third shift, one full time position and two part time positions to work weekends (Friday, Saturday and Sunday).
This position will be responsible for the following:
- Operating multiple printers at one time in order to keep the printing process going.
- Prioritizing work in order to timely deliver orders.
- Moving digital files around in different operating system environments and administering print operations within a Web browser.
- Operating and managing RIP software for printing.
- Cleaning and maintaining print room equipment, which includes dealing with ink.
- Monitoring the quality of the substrate being printed and knowing when the product does not meet quality standards.
- Troubleshooting and reporting on the state of the printing equipment.
- Providing support to the Floor Operations team with cutting, packing & shipping products when needed.
Requirements for this position:
- Must be available to work 3rd shift from 11 pm to 7 am
- This is a full time position with hours that flex between 32 - 40 hours. This position has the potential to work overtime during high production times, which could include working weekends.
- Prior printing experience preferred but not required
- Some familiarity with Photoshop
- Ability to move and load large rolls of fabric of up to 35 lbs
- Great communication skills in writing and in person
- Problem-solving skills and the ability to improvise and adapt to a changing workflow
- Excellent time-management skills and ability to stay focused and on-task
- Dedicated to the idea of using technology to help people share their creativity
We strive to maintain an eco-friendly and safe work environment. Some of the solvents that are used in production may create fumes or unpleasant smells. We provide the appropriate safety equipment when this arises.