Nothing goes together better than a claw hammer and a floral palette, don't you think? This week's Woodshop Design Challenge really brought out thoughtful, hand-crafted precision in every entrant. Be sure to check out the top 10 Woodshop designs and give a huge congratulations to first-time Design Challenge winner Elishka Jepson (robyriker) with her design Measure Twice, Cut Once!
1. 359 votes for Measure Twice, Cut Once by robyriker
2. 348 votes for What I Learned in WoodShop by cynthiafrenette
3. 311 votes for wooden toys by cjldesigns
4. 300 votes for Woodworking 101 by oliveandruby
5. 281 votes for woodshop 101 by pattyryboltdesigns
6. 277 votes for Walter Woodley's Workshop by mulberry_tree
7. 263 votes for Wonders of Woodwork by amel24
8. 254 votes for wood grain by ottomanbrim
9. 252 votes for Let's get ready to party by rachelmacdonald
10. 233 votes for Sketches of workshop tools turquoise by mimi_dissenys
Mother's Day was first celebrated in 1908, when Anna Jarvis held a memorial for her mother in Grafton, West Virginia. Anna’s mission was to set aside a day to honor mothers, "the person who has done more for you than anyone in the world." Congratulations to all the top 10, and the first- time winner of this week's challenge honoring mothers, Wren Leyland, with her lovely Poppy Border Print!
1. 501 votes for Poppy Border by wren_leyland
2. 479 votes for A peacock garden on blue linen by vo_aka_virginiao
3. 417 votes for Blue Delphiniums by sharon_johnson
4. 415 votes for floral meadow border print by kociara
5. 407 votes for meadow flowers poppy border - single large by coggon_(roz_robinson)
6. 349 votes for Flowers for Mom Border Print by oliveandruby
7. 331 votes for Wild Flower Garden by mhdesign
8. 308 votes for Lush floral border by cjldesigns
9. 306 votes for Fall flower border for Loretta by laura_the_drawer
10. 290 votes for Military Mom by spellstone
Mother's Day is coming up on May 10th and flowers all around are budding, blooming and bursting with color! If you want to stitch up a gorgeous gift for mom this year, these are the perfect designs for the occasion: vote for your favorite Flowers for Mom Border Print designs, and don't forget to call mom!
Did you know that bees have personalities? Even in beehives, there are workers and shirkers, thrill-seekers and those who are timid. And a 2011 study even found that agitated honeybees can be pessimistic, showing that, to some extent, bees have feelings. You showed us your feelings about the top ten bee designs (from over 500 entries!), and we're pleased to announce the winner: Where the Bees Fly by chicca_besso!
1. 578 votes for Where the Bees fly by chicca_besso
2. 544 votes for Buzzin Around by oliveandruby
3. 536 votes for chalkboard filigree bee by beesocks
4. 531 votes for Bumbles & Blooms by lisakubenez
5. 400 votes for The Birds and the Bees by jmarstudio
6. 348 votes for Gold Honey Comb Home by swissette
7. 347 votes for Mossy May Garden by christinewitte
8. 340 votes for Birds + the Bees by nouveau_bohemian
9. 333 votes for Hive Mind by janelle_wooten
10. 332 votes for buzzy bee garden by cjldesigns
We are so excited to partner with CWDkids and the members of our amazing creative community to create a unique new line of childrenswear!
CWDkids has offered high-quality, unique childrenswear for over 25 years. They’re seeking our community’s fresh take on mermaid pajamas in this very special design challenge!
WHO: Spoonflower and CWDkids are teaming up for a very special fabric design challenge.
WHAT: Our Mermaids Design Challenge is designed to inspire fabric designs for fun, modern pajamas featuring a mermaid theme. The good folks at CWDkids will choose one winner from the top ten vote-getting designs. The winner will receive a $500 cash prize, and his or her winning design will have the chance to become part of the latest offering of CWDkids pajamas to be released in spring of 2016 through CWDkids.com. All top-ten winners will receive $50 in Spoondollar credit.
Please see the CWDkids Style Guide for information about what makes a successful childrenswear design.
WHEN: The design deadline is May 19, 2015. Voting will take place May 21 - May 26, 2015. The winner chosen from the popularly-voted top ten designs will be announced on May 28, 2015.
HOW: To enter, create your own Spoonflower account, upload an original fabric design to the account, and enter the design in the Mermaids contest using the drop-down menu for entering contests. Designs should be created especially for this contest, and all artwork must be your original work. Since the winning design will be featured on CWDkids' pajamas, designs should feature no more than 8 colors, and design elements should be roughly .75" to 3.5" (approximately 2 cm to 9 cm). Please see the CWDkids Style Guide for additional information and photo examples.
A note about your design file: If your design wins, CWDkids will need a vector file to adapt for their printing purposes. We encourage you to prepare your original file for this, but you should create a copy of your file saved to 150 dpi to upload to Spoonflower. Your Spoonflower preview will be viewed at 150 dpi in a fat-quarter size (21” x 18”).
See full details and official rules here.
Did you know that bee pollination helps at least 30% of the world's crops and 90% of our wild plants to thrive? Hives are also entirely female (except for the drone bees!). Talk about girl power! We're celebrating the small but mighty bee in our design challenge this week, so vote for your favorites now!
All designers in this week's contest just completed a 5-week Fabric Design Series from Creativebug. We asked them to show off their new skills in a very special contest, and we were blown away by the results! Congratulations to repeat Design Challenge winner Kate Rhees on her winning design, "A Nod to the House Bird!"
1. 668 votes for A Nod to the House Bird by katerhees
2. 604 votes for Tessa's Floral Toss by simple_felicities
3. 545 votes for Floral in Scarlet by vo_aka_virginiao
4. 510 votes for Poppysplashes by juliesfabrics
5. 476 votes for LARGE What The Flock Print by jennifergeldard
6. 400 votes for Strawberry Patch Creativebug by tracip
7. 384 votes for Loic's Fruit Salad by susan_polston
8. 384 votes for Romantic_Garden by habiba_artsy_studio
9. 360 votes for pine by studiolillaform
10. 353 votes for Swanky Swedish Swash by orangefancy
All the designers participating in this week's Creativebug Design Challenge also enrolled in our Creativebug Fabric Design Series and have worked very hard over the past five weeks. Pick your favorites from the incredible line up – all top ten entries win great prizes! Learn more about our Creativebug Design Challenge on our blog!
Join us in the islands among colorful birds, swaying palm trees, and fragrant tropical flowers! Big congratulations to eight-time Design Challenge winner Christine Witte for her top design, "Islands of Hawai'i: Flora & Fauna," and don't forget to check out the adventuresome top 10 winning designs for our Islands contest!
1. 488 votes for Islands of Hawai'i: Flora & Fauna by christinewitte
2. 444 votes for Tropical Island by petite_circus
3. 375 votes for Treasure hunt by heleen_vd_thillart
4. 342 votes for Fiaba The Water Lily Islands by fiaba_fabrics
5. 305 votes for Some kind of Paradise by mulberry_tree
6. 294 votes for Summer Breeze by oliveandruby
7. 282 votes for Island Peepers by vo_aka_virginiao
8. 278 votes for Island Girl by heatherdutton
9. 272 votes for Big Round Waves by seesawboomerang
10. 268 votes for Island Fish by eto
Here in Spoonflower's home state of North Carolina, we pride ourselves on being the "first in flight". This week, your designs took us up, up and away with hot air balloons, zeppelins, bionic birds, aeroplanes and more. Check out the top 10 winners of our Flying Machines contest and give a big congratulations to Australian repeat winner, Julie Lynch, on her dreamy winning design!
1. 477 votes for Dreamy flying machines by cjldesigns
2. 369 votes for Hot Air Balloons - Vintage Retro-Inspired Flying Machines by Andrea Lauren by andrea_lauren
3. 357 votes for Hot Air balloons by cassiopee
4. 335 votes for Bionic Birds & Mechanical Wings by robinpickens
5. 330 votes for Flying_Machines by mia_valdez
6. 321 votes for Across The Universe by cecilia_mok
7. 309 votes for steampunk sky by scrummy
8. 298 votes for Dreamers__Balloon-Prussian_blue by studiohesed
9. 293 votes for RaceToTheClouds by woo_hoo_design
10. 291 votes for Journeys by Friztin by friztin
We are pleased to announce that our friends at Carousel Designs have chosen “Sweet Dreams” by Grace Felizardo as the winner of last week’s Southwest Baby Bedding Contest. Grace is an incredibly talented artist hailing from California, and we are so thrilled that her beautiful art will be featured in a new baby bedding collection offered through BabyBedding.com.
What happened to the winner we announced last week? Shortly after we sent out the email announcing the results of last week's Design Challenge, it came to our attention that the design chosen from the popularly-voted top ten was not the original artwork of the contest entrant. Further investigation confirmed that this was the case. The individual who entered the design wrote to apologize both to us and to the artist whose work she had represented as her own.
The weekly design challenge is a longstanding tradition of ours, dating back to Spoonflower’s launch in 2008. Our contests have always been intended as a vehicle to inspire creativity, to motivate one another, to allow community members to show off their talent, and to make everyone better by way of friendly competition. We still love our contests.
We want to apologize for not catching this issue before the result was announced, and for the disappointment an incident like this creates within the community of designers who participate in and follow our challenges. The goal of our contests, with their constantly varying (and sometimes silly) themes, is to provoke creativity. In a perfect world, not only is every contest entry original, it's been created by the artist just for our contest. That's the idea.
With respect to the issue of intellectual property -- which the vast majority of contest participants understand and respect -- it's worth taking this opportunity to remind newbies to Spoonflower of some basic rules of the road.
Most of the images you find on the Internet CANNOT be used to create your own fabric, wallpaper or gift wrap designs on Spoonflower, despite the fact that you may be able to download them to your computer. Printing an image that is not your own is not ok without some kind of explicit permission or license granting you the right to reproduce the image for your own purposes.
When you do have some indication that an image you've found is okay for use by virtue of its license, or because it is in the public domain, it is still not okay to represent that image as your own work. To the degree that it is possible, you should credit the original artist and source for any image if you are displaying the work in a public form.
The right to use an image that is not your own is not the same as the right to sell that image, or products bearing that image. Many images are made available for sharing and use in personal projects, but not commercial ones. The default assumption should be that a public domain image can be reproduced for a personal project, but not for a commercial one.
We love and respect the community of designers that make up Spoonflower, and are grateful to them for sharing their art with us. We also hope to continue to foster a designer-centric community that values and supports creativity and mutual respect. Thanks to all who participate in our challenges and help make this true every day!
It's easy to relax into the soft pastels of a sunset in the Southwest when there are adorable coyotes, rabbits, and cacti all around! Check out the top 10 winners of our Southwest Baby Bedding Contest with Carousel Designs, and give a big congratulations to Grace Felizardo of Gracedesigns on her winning design "Sweet Dreams", handpicked by Carousel Designs for their baby bedding collection!
Beagles have long been adored for their ability to track scents and give a loud, baying howl when excited. For our latest Weekly Design Challenge, we asked designers to give us their take on the lovable hound – check out the contenders and cast your vote today!
As the utensil most likely to be assigned sentimental value, spoons come in countless shapes, sizes, and colors and are loved by all--check out the top 10 spoon designs and congratulations to Kate Rhees on her winning spoons design. Cheers to the spoon!
1. 517 votes for Spoons by katerhees
2. 439 votes for Les Spoons by amel24
3. 415 votes for Spoon Quilt by juliesfabrics
4. 361 votes for In My Kitchen by oliveandruby
5. 310 votes for Spoons by heleenvanbuul
6. 309 votes for Coffee Spoons by ebygomm
7. 306 votes for Loony Spoony Yard Sale by christinewitte
8. 289 votes for spoons by oleynikka
9. 275 votes for lotsa spoons by gracedesign
10. 267 votes for Party Spoons for Summer by robinpickens
Creativebug is the go-to source for online art and craft instruction. Their new Fabric Design Series is a 5-week course featuring creative rock stars Denyse Schmidt, Heather Ross, and Lizzy House. Each artist shares her own design process--from inspiration to creating repeating designs, working with color and much more. In this challenge, folks who have recently enrolled in the new course have the opportunity to show off their new designs for a chance to win incredible prizes to take their designing to the next level!
All of the top-ten designers will take home great prizes in this challenge!
The top three popularly-voted designers will be matched with either Denyse, Heather, or Lizzy to receive a review of their winning design, plus they’ll take home a 12-month subscription to Creativebug, $100 in Spoondollar credit, a 12-month subscription to Adobe Creative Cloud!
Folks voted into slots 4-6 will receive a Wacom Tablet, Moleskine Evernote Sketchbook, and a 6-month subscription to Creativebug!
The rest of the top ten will take home a Christine Schmidt Carve-A-Stamp Kit, drawing pads, and Micron pens!
Sign up for the Creativebug Fabric Design Series today, and start planning your Design Challenge entry!
WHO: Spoonflower and Creativebug are teaming up for a very special fabric design challenge.
WHAT: Our Creativebug Design Challenge showcases the work of folks enrolled in the new Creativebug Fabric Design Series.
WHEN: The design deadline is April 14, 2015. Voting will take place April 16-22, 2015. The winner chosen from the popularly voted top ten designs will be announced on April 23, 2015.
HOW: To enter, participants enrolled in the Creativebug Fabric Design Series should create your own Spoonflower account, upload an original fabric design to the account, and enter the design in the Creativebug Design Challenge contest using the drop-down menu for entering contests. To enter this Design Challenge, you must be registered for Creativebug’s Fabric Design Series. Designs should be created especially for this contest, and all artwork must be your original work. Your Spoonflower preview will be viewed at 150 dpi in a fat-quarter size (21” x 18”).
See full details and official rules here.
Over the years, we've seen a lot of spoon-inspired fabric, but none as fun and funky as this! Vote for your favorite print in our very first spoon-themed Design Challenge.
Sometimes a theme doesn't need a subject, it just needs a palette. We asked designers to use four colors, with no particular theme, and ended up with a range of entries that are all inspiring. Be warned: this is one of the longest contest voting pages you'll ever see!
Get a virtual tour of the Spoonflower Headquarters!
View Larger Map