So much excitement has been in the air at Spoonflower HQ this past week! Folks have flocked from their desks, the print room, and the operations floor for a chance to be sitting pretty on a big, comfy chair upholstered with their winning design! The voters have spoken – check out the top ten Staff Challenge designs and give a big high five to Eloisa Docton (Better known as natitys) for her winning design, Whimsy Floral Dots! It's amazing what you can do with a pen, paper and just 30 minutes!
1. 676 votes for Whimsy floral dots by eloisadocton
2. 535 votes for stork scissors by ashley_mason
3. 518 votes for Silly Raccoons by joshmckelvey
4. 510 votes for Scan_4 by kelly_m_
5. 427 votes for clouds-cute-faces by j_schnaak
6. 420 votes for Hannah_Koontz-ch by hkoontz
7. 417 votes for Love Arrows by brainsarepretty
8. 382 votes for Yummy_Treats by atate
9. 363 votes for Marker Swirls by kellyw
10. 331 votes for Scan_10-ch by jennifer_spanos
The stakes are high, time was short, and the competition is fierce. The time has come for voting in Spoonflower's annual Staff Challenge! Once a year, the tables are turned and Spoonies show their design prowess to the world in a special staff-only edition of our Weekly Design Challenge. Needless to say Around the Spoonflower HQ, we've been doing our finger push-ups and running seamless repeat drills in preparation for this year's challenge, perhaps our toughest yet––to create, upload, and enter a design into a contest in just 30 minutes!
The winner of this year's challenge not only gets the glory of being voted to the top by our amazing Spoonflower community, but they'll also be sitting pretty in a custom chair from Select Furniture featuring their winning fabric design!
Using just pen and paper and the good ol' crop tool and Spoonflower's Color Changer, these designs are sure to delight and inspire!
What can you create with a pen, paper and 30 minutes?
Careful - that flower has quills! This week we stayed up late with our quirky nocturnal hedgehog friends, and were so impressed with the creativity of all 340 entries! Congratulations to the winner of this week's Design Challenge hailing from Italy,Gaia Marfurt, with her adorable Hedgehog Flowers! Show some love to all the top ten winners and check out printed fabric photos of the top 10 Hedgehog designs on our Facebook page!
1. 542 votes for hedgehogs flowers by gaiamarfurt
2. 491 votes for Hedgehog and Mice Gathering_12inch by robinpickens
3. 463 votes for Hedgehog Playground by melarmstrongdesign
4. 418 votes for Hedgehog Party by papercanoedesign
5. 415 votes for We (mostly) come out at night by mirjamauno
6. 413 votes for Henry and Hetty by bora
7. 408 votes for Hedgehogs disguised as cactuses by petitspixels
8. 406 votes for hedgehog haven by gracedesign
9. 404 votes for Hedgehogs and Cherries by susan_polston
10. 401 votes for Hogs under hedges + foxes on copses by nouveau_bohemian
Seeing as hedgehogs are primarily nocturnal mammals, they make great pets for night-owl designers. If you're wired like a hedgehog and do your most creative work in the nighttime, be sure to vote on your favorite hedgehog designs by next Wednesday, and be sure to check for the winner in our newsletter next Thursday!
The calming surf, the refreshing drinks, even the soft sand in-between your toes – so much is right with the beach! This week we challenged you to build sandcastles and many of you took inspiration from coastal birds, your collection of seashells, or even the nearest children's sandbox (for those of us who are landlocked). Congratulations to the winner of this week's design challenge, Kate Rhees, with her beautiful Seagull Tracks design! Please give a big shout out to all the top ten winners and check out all their Sandcastles designs on our Facebook page!
1. 424 votes for Seagull Tracks by katerhees
2. 419 votes for Greta Songe Sandcastles by gsonge
3. 346 votes for crabs in the sandcastles by penguinhouse
4. 340 votes for magical sandcastle by ottomanbrim
5. 322 votes for The Great British Seaside by mondaland
6. 311 votes for Day At The Beach by dianne_annelli
7. 307 votes for Chateau_de_sable by la_fabriken
8. 294 votes for nautical baby - hexagonal quilt by mira_belle
9. 286 votes for Ocean View by susan_polston
10. 282 votes for sandcastle by gaiamarfurt
Water colors bring out the softer, more artistic side of power tools. Vote on your favorite watercolor power tool designs by next Wednesday, and be sure to check for the winner in our newsletter next Thursday! Who knows, these magnificent designs may just inspire you to remodel your work bench and reorganize your toolbox!
In this week's very special Design Challenge, we partnered with CWDkids to highlight the majestic and mysterious undersea beings from oceans near and far. Don't miss the top ten mermaid designs (and the limited edition fat quarter bundle!), and please give a huge shout-out to first-time Design Challenge winner Nikki Upsher for her winning design! Nikki has the amazing opportunity to work with CWDkids on a line of children's PJs! Check out all the beautiful mermaid designs on our Facebook page in our Mermaids Design Challenge photo album!
1. Final_Mermaid_Pattern_larger by nikki_upsher
2. mermaid by ebygomm
3. Happy as a clam by mhdesign
4. Mermaid Lullaby (Candy) by nouveau_bohemian
5. Captain Jack and the Mermaids by theboutiquestudio
6. mermaids & cats by kostolom3000
7. my little golden fishes by penguinhouse
8. Mermaids by Friztin by friztin
9. United Colors of Mermaids by cassiopee
10. Mermaids by bluecoin
Can we tell you a little secret? Mermaids are real. We swear! This week, we're teaming up with our friends at CWDkids to bring you a very special design challenge - mermaids! The chosen winner will have the amazing opportunity to have their design made into CWDkids best selling children's PJs! Swim on over and vote for your favorite mermaid design now!
In this week's Design Challenge, we asked you to pick a peck of your favorite pickled designs, and the results are in! Be sure to check out all the top 10 pickle designs and stay tuned to our Facebook page for photographs of the winners printed on vibrant Organic Cotton Sateen. Big congratulations goes to four-time winner Kate Rhees with her fun, fresh design, Pickled Peppers and Sprouts!
1. 529 votes for pickled peppers and sprouts by katerhees
2. 446 votes for Pickles from the Old Garden by christinewitte
3. 440 votes for Homemade Pickles by cynthiafrenette
4. 428 votes for Mid-Century Pickles! by orangefancy
5. 407 votes for Let's Get Canning by oliveandruby
6. 375 votes for Pickled pink ♥ by designed_by_debby
7. 349 votes for Pickles in my Pantry by slumbermonkey
8. 338 votes for PickelThis by cbronsky
9. 315 votes for Cucumber Patch by dianne_annelli
10. 312 votes for Pickles by jaymehennel
Nothing goes together better than a claw hammer and a floral palette, don't you think? This week's Woodshop Design Challenge really brought out thoughtful, hand-crafted precision in every entrant. Be sure to check out the top 10 Woodshop designs and give a huge congratulations to first-time Design Challenge winner Elishka Jepson (robyriker) with her design Measure Twice, Cut Once!
1. 359 votes for Measure Twice, Cut Once by robyriker
2. 348 votes for What I Learned in WoodShop by cynthiafrenette
3. 311 votes for wooden toys by cjldesigns
4. 300 votes for Woodworking 101 by oliveandruby
5. 281 votes for woodshop 101 by pattyryboltdesigns
6. 277 votes for Walter Woodley's Workshop by mulberry_tree
7. 263 votes for Wonders of Woodwork by amel24
8. 254 votes for wood grain by ottomanbrim
9. 252 votes for Let's get ready to party by rachelmacdonald
10. 233 votes for Sketches of workshop tools turquoise by mimi_dissenys
Mother's Day was first celebrated in 1908, when Anna Jarvis held a memorial for her mother in Grafton, West Virginia. Anna’s mission was to set aside a day to honor mothers, "the person who has done more for you than anyone in the world." Congratulations to all the top 10, and the first- time winner of this week's challenge honoring mothers, Wren Leyland, with her lovely Poppy Border Print!
1. 501 votes for Poppy Border by wren_leyland
2. 479 votes for A peacock garden on blue linen by vo_aka_virginiao
3. 417 votes for Blue Delphiniums by sharon_johnson
4. 415 votes for floral meadow border print by kociara
5. 407 votes for meadow flowers poppy border - single large by coggon_(roz_robinson)
6. 349 votes for Flowers for Mom Border Print by oliveandruby
7. 331 votes for Wild Flower Garden by mhdesign
8. 308 votes for Lush floral border by cjldesigns
9. 306 votes for Fall flower border for Loretta by laura_the_drawer
10. 290 votes for Military Mom by spellstone
Mother's Day is coming up on May 10th and flowers all around are budding, blooming and bursting with color! If you want to stitch up a gorgeous gift for mom this year, these are the perfect designs for the occasion: vote for your favorite Flowers for Mom Border Print designs, and don't forget to call mom!
Did you know that bees have personalities? Even in beehives, there are workers and shirkers, thrill-seekers and those who are timid. And a 2011 study even found that agitated honeybees can be pessimistic, showing that, to some extent, bees have feelings. You showed us your feelings about the top ten bee designs (from over 500 entries!), and we're pleased to announce the winner: Where the Bees Fly by chicca_besso!
1. 578 votes for Where the Bees fly by chicca_besso
2. 544 votes for Buzzin Around by oliveandruby
3. 536 votes for chalkboard filigree bee by beesocks
4. 531 votes for Bumbles & Blooms by lisakubenez
5. 400 votes for The Birds and the Bees by jmarstudio
6. 348 votes for Gold Honey Comb Home by swissette
7. 347 votes for Mossy May Garden by christinewitte
8. 340 votes for Birds + the Bees by nouveau_bohemian
9. 333 votes for Hive Mind by janelle_wooten
10. 332 votes for buzzy bee garden by cjldesigns
We are so excited to partner with CWDkids and the members of our amazing creative community to create a unique new line of childrenswear!
CWDkids has offered high-quality, unique childrenswear for over 25 years. They’re seeking our community’s fresh take on mermaid pajamas in this very special design challenge!
WHO: Spoonflower and CWDkids are teaming up for a very special fabric design challenge.
WHAT: Our Mermaids Design Challenge is designed to inspire fabric designs for fun, modern pajamas featuring a mermaid theme. The good folks at CWDkids will choose one winner from the top ten vote-getting designs. The winner will receive a $500 cash prize, and his or her winning design will have the chance to become part of the latest offering of CWDkids pajamas to be released in spring of 2016 through CWDkids.com. All top-ten winners will receive $50 in Spoondollar credit.
Please see the CWDkids Style Guide for information about what makes a successful childrenswear design.
WHEN: The design deadline is May 19, 2015. Voting will take place May 21 - May 26, 2015. The winner chosen from the popularly-voted top ten designs will be announced on May 28, 2015.
HOW: To enter, create your own Spoonflower account, upload an original fabric design to the account, and enter the design in the Mermaids contest using the drop-down menu for entering contests. Designs should be created especially for this contest, and all artwork must be your original work. Since the winning design will be featured on CWDkids' pajamas, designs should feature no more than 8 colors, and design elements should be roughly .75" to 3.5" (approximately 2 cm to 9 cm). Please see the CWDkids Style Guide for additional information and photo examples.
A note about your design file: If your design wins, CWDkids will need a vector file to adapt for their printing purposes. We encourage you to prepare your original file for this, but you should create a copy of your file saved to 150 dpi to upload to Spoonflower. Your Spoonflower preview will be viewed at 150 dpi in a fat-quarter size (21” x 18”).
See full details and official rules here.
Did you know that bee pollination helps at least 30% of the world's crops and 90% of our wild plants to thrive? Hives are also entirely female (except for the drone bees!). Talk about girl power! We're celebrating the small but mighty bee in our design challenge this week, so vote for your favorites now!
All designers in this week's contest just completed a 5-week Fabric Design Series from Creativebug. We asked them to show off their new skills in a very special contest, and we were blown away by the results! Congratulations to repeat Design Challenge winner Kate Rhees on her winning design, "A Nod to the House Bird!"
1. 668 votes for A Nod to the House Bird by katerhees
2. 604 votes for Tessa's Floral Toss by simple_felicities
3. 545 votes for Floral in Scarlet by vo_aka_virginiao
4. 510 votes for Poppysplashes by juliesfabrics
5. 476 votes for LARGE What The Flock Print by jennifergeldard
6. 400 votes for Strawberry Patch Creativebug by tracip
7. 384 votes for Loic's Fruit Salad by susan_polston
8. 384 votes for Romantic_Garden by habiba_artsy_studio
9. 360 votes for pine by studiolillaform
10. 353 votes for Swanky Swedish Swash by orangefancy
All the designers participating in this week's Creativebug Design Challenge also enrolled in our Creativebug Fabric Design Series and have worked very hard over the past five weeks. Pick your favorites from the incredible line up – all top ten entries win great prizes! Learn more about our Creativebug Design Challenge on our blog!
Get a virtual tour of the Spoonflower Headquarters!
View Larger Map