A lovely way to look forward to the new year, remind you of special dates, anniversaries, and good times. Get ready, this contest is a real head turner.
Designers came up with some fun, fascinating, and spooky interpretations on the ghostly form. If you're a fan of things that go bump in the night, or have a special sense for the paranormal, then you have to weigh in: what does a ghost look like, anyway?
Here are the voting results:
1. 923 votes for Fantastic Feathers by cerigwen
2. 557 votes for Raven Hood Costume by elramsay
3. 555 votes for Spooky owl costume by cjldesigns
4. 503 votes for Matryoshka Nesting Doll Costume by sammyk
5. 501 votes for Ahrr me hearty by laura_the_drawer
6. 441 votes for Hoot the Owl by pattyryboltdesigns
7. 371 votes for Julie's Sushi Costume by juliesfabrics
8. 343 votes for Monarch Butterfly Wings Kit by artytypes
9. 328 votes for Fox Hood and Tail by evenspor
10. 326 votes for Baby Pirate Costume 2013 by nikky
The North Carolina State Fair opens this week, and you can bet your bottom dollar we'll be there. Besides the deep fried candy bars and the donut sloppy joe burgers (yes, you read that right), we're looking forward to the annual pie contest. But can those real-life pies beat the delicious entries into our own Pies Design Challenge? The blue ribbon winner was Patty Rybolt of Florida with a pie menu that left our heads spinning. Congratulations to the rest of our finalists; we're sure these fabrics will make an appearance in kitchens worldwide, soon!
And here's how you voted:
1. 355 votes for Today's Chalkboard Special! by pattyryboltdesigns
2. 261 votes for Retro pies for you by misslife
3. 257 votes for Pumpkin Pie !! by demigoutte
4. 253 votes for Four and Twenty Blackbirds by ceanirminger
5. 252 votes for Slice of Pie! by celiaforrester
6. 245 votes for Let's Make Apple Pie by annewashere
7. 239 votes for Sweet as Pie by twoifbyseastudios
8. 238 votes for pleasant pies by cjldesigns
9. 224 votes for Pie Bird Song by shellypenko
10. 222 votes for Ready, Set, Peel! _12inch by robinpickens
It has been rumored that the best pecan pie in the world is made right here in North Carolina. And while we might fight over just how you pronounce that little hickory nut (is it PEE-can or Pic-AHN?), we all agree that any day you get to enjoy a slice is a good day. This week designers created tasty pie designs of all varieties. So, what's your favorite kind?
Spoonflower and The North Carolina Museum of Art have partnered up to bring you an exciting contest for teens. We asked young designers to create work inspired by iconic artist Frank Stella's Protractor series. Help us choose the teen stars whose work will be featured in a spring teen exhibition and a spring teen event at the NCMA! And if you ever find yourself in the Triangle, you must see Frank Stella's Raqqa II, part of the NCMA's contemporary collection.Spoonflower and The North Carolina Museum of Art have partnered up to bring you an exciting contest for teens. We asked young designers to create work inspired by iconic artist Frank Stella's Protractor series. Help us choose the teen stars whose work will be featured in a spring teen exhibition and a spring teen event at the NCMA! And if you ever find yourself in the Triangle, you must see Frank Stella's Raqqa II, part of the NCMA's contemporary collection.
We've been seeing a lot more of the stars now that the sun is setting earlier and daylight hours are shrinking into fall. We challenged designers to create fabric inspired by the constellations that move above our head each night. Now, capturing the beauty, scale, and mystery of the skies above is no small task, but our designers were up for the challenge. Congratulations to our winner, Anne Blankman of Los Angeles! This was her first ever Spoonflower contest.
And here are your voting results:
1. 452 votes for What's Your Sign? by annewashere
2. 415 votes for Folded Paper Sky by sammyk
3. 407 votes for Starry Skies by allisonkreftdesigns
4. 382 votes for Tania_universe_low_res_2 by rodamilans
5. 377 votes for reading between the clouds by liluna
6. 364 votes for stargate by the_a_design
7. 362 votes for Dark Matter by spellstone
8. 346 votes for Little Sky Painter by murals2go
9. 334 votes for Sea Of Stars by noaleco
10. 323 votes for Radiant Stars by rubydoor
The Small Scale Geometric Print for Shoes Challenge is a contest to create the perfect pattern for a pair shoes. Here's the kicker-- Milk &Honey will turn four winning designs into a shoe collection! Winners will receive a pair of custom Milk and Honey shoes featuring their very own design. Pretty cool. So, what's your favorite shoe design?
And, here are your voting results:
1. 541 votes for October by snowflower
2. 524 votes for Floral Fantastique by gsonge
3. 429 votes for Hoot Hoot by ebygomm
4. 409 votes for The Mulberry Thieves by audsbodkin
5. 397 votes for Kuler Flower Garden by liluna
6. 396 votes for Fat Sparrow Feast - Large by pinkyw
7. 396 votes for Beyond Black and White by mag-o
8. 370 votes for Botanical Summer by mandakay
9. 359 votes for My Butterflies Are Kuler Than Yours by vo_aka_virginiao
10. 354 votes for A bear camp by demigoutte
And here are your results:
1. 948 votes for A day in pre-history by dennisthebadger
2. 522 votes for Dinoflorus by elodie-lauret
3. 515 votes for Dinosaurs just want to have fun by cjldesigns
4. 487 votes for Dinosaur Forest by nadiahassan
5. 479 votes for Big Dinos with Eggs by jillbyers
6. 453 votes for Dino-mite! by gsonge
7. 436 votes for Dare the Dinotastic by vo_aka_virginiao
8. 430 votes for Origami Dinosaurs by abbyg
9. 421 votes for Jurassic Jungle by auki
10. 405 votes for Dinosaur Days by arttreedesigns
This week we're going back, way back, to a time when Triceratops chomped on ferns, the T. Rex ruffled their feathers, and pterodactyl flew through the clouds. Picking favorites in the contest is Jurassic fun.
This week designers used a restricted color palette to create patterns celebrating the tasty Cantonese tradition of Dim Sum. Contestants blew us away with their creative (and cute!) fabric designs. From bowls to steamers to little treats, this week's contest left us hoping for seconds! Congratulations to our winner, Julie Lynch of South Australia, and the rest of the top ten.
And here are the voting results:
1. 478 votes for decorated dim sum bowls by cjldesigns
2. 416 votes for Hoi Sum Dim Sum Yum Cha by contemporaryassets
3. 409 votes for The World of Dim Sum by mlahero
4. 306 votes for Do Wah Diddy Diddy Dim Sum by spellstone
5. 296 votes for More Please by carynikins
6. 284 votes for Dim sum for all! by gracemellow
7. 275 votes for Dim Sum Garden by liluna
8. 262 votes for Dim Sum by theboutiquestudio
9. 258 votes for dim sum 01 by aliceelettrica
10. 254 votes for Dim Sum Checkers by celiaforrester
Trollies stacked high with bamboo steamer baskets, tables full of buns and dumplings, the air filled with laughter--does it get better than Dim Sum? This week we asked for designs depicting elements of the traditional Cantonese meal. Designers worked with a restricted color palette, and the designs are nothing short of mouth-watering.
Here are the voting results:
1. 546 votes for Bobbit_Pencil_Case by woodmouse&bobbit
2. 506 votes for Damask Typewriter by artytypes
3. 343 votes for WHOOO is Ready for School pencil case by jennartdesigns
4. 333 votes for Owen and friends on yard by laura_the_drawer
5. 307 votes for Percy's Pencil Pouch by dianef
6. 285 votes for pencil pouch by heidikenney
7. 262 votes for Cut-and-Sew Pencil Case (click to see mockups) by pennycandy
8. 240 votes for Moustache Cat! (Zipper Mouth Pencil Case) by sammyk
9. 236 votes for friendly_pencil_monster by alexandra_pillaert
10. 233 votes for Pop Pencil Pouch by gracemellow
Designers created pencil case cut & sew patterns ready for assembly so you can go back to school in style. Vote for your favorite designs, and get your sewing machines ready for the perfect place to stash your freshly sharpened No. 2s.
This week at Spoonflower HQ, we are excited to share our new Emerging Designer Grant, an award we created to support students pursuing textile and design degrees. To celebrate these budding designers, we challenged contestants to create patterns inspired by fashion tools, icons and eras, and prints perfect for apparel. Congratulations to Ashley Lotecki and the rest of the top ten finalists.
And here are the results:
1. 378 votes for Sew, My Darling by smashworks
2. 358 votes for My First Fashion Show by sammyk
3. 322 votes for kimono by cjldesigns
4. 290 votes for Haute Dressforms by allisonkreftdesigns
5. 283 votes for Pretty in Pink by kelly_a
6. 277 votes for Deconstructed Universe by vo_aka_virginiao
7. 257 votes for Crazy about hats by mariskadesign
8. 255 votes for Oriental FanTasy by belle13
9. 254 votes for sewing by heleenvanbuul
10. 253 votes for A New Look by slumbermonkey
Get a virtual tour of the Spoonflower Headquarters!
View Larger Map