Designers created pencil case cut & sew patterns ready for assembly so you can go back to school in style. Vote for your favorite designs, and get your sewing machines ready for the perfect place to stash your freshly sharpened No. 2s.
Archives for August 2013
This week at Spoonflower HQ, we are excited to share our new Spoonflower Emerging Designer Grant— an award to support students in pursuit of textile and design degrees worldwide. We can't wait to see the cutting-edge garments and installations these up-and-coming designers create!
This week at Spoonflower HQ, we are excited to share our new Emerging Designer Grant, an award we created to support students pursuing textile and design degrees. To celebrate these budding designers, we challenged contestants to create patterns inspired by fashion tools, icons and eras, and prints perfect for apparel. Congratulations to Ashley Lotecki and the rest of the top ten finalists.
And here are the results:
1. 378 votes for Sew, My Darling by smashworks
2. 358 votes for My First Fashion Show by sammyk
3. 322 votes for kimono by cjldesigns
4. 290 votes for Haute Dressforms by allisonkreftdesigns
5. 283 votes for Pretty in Pink by kelly_a
6. 277 votes for Deconstructed Universe by vo_aka_virginiao
7. 257 votes for Crazy about hats by mariskadesign
8. 255 votes for Oriental FanTasy by belle13
9. 254 votes for sewing by heleenvanbuul
10. 253 votes for A New Look by slumbermonkey
WHO: Spoonflower and Milk and Honey are teaming up for a very special fabric design challenge.
WHAT: The Small Scale Geometric Print for Shoes Challenge is a contest to create the perfect pattern for a pair shoes. Together we’re offering designers the chance to create small scale geometric-themed designs that will be manufactured to produce a collection of custom shoes! Milk and Honey and Spoonflower will choose four winners from the top ten vote getting designs. Winners will receive a pair of custom Milk and Honey shoes featuring their design and all of the top ten designers will receive $100 in Spoonflower credit.
WHEN: The design deadline is September 17, 2013. Voting will take place September 19 – September 25, 2013. The top ten designs and the four winners will be announced on September 26, 2013.
HOW: To enter, create your own Spoonflower account, upload an original fabric design to the account (sized at 150 dpi and using one of the accepted file formats), and then enter the design in the Small Scale Geometric Print for Shoes contest using the drop-down menu for entering contests. See official rules below for details.
Who can enter?
This contest is open to ALL Spoonflower community members.
How many designs can I enter?
You can enter only ONE DESIGN in each contest. Designs entered in previous Spoonflower contests are not eligible. Designs already licensed for reproduction on fabric with other companies are not eligible.
Who will judge the contest?
Representatives from Spoonflower and Milk and Honey will narrow the field of entrants before community voting opens based on their own subjective judgements. All decisions to eliminate entries from the field will be final. The top ten designs will be selected by community voting, but the winning design will be selected from the top ten by Milk and Honey.
Who can vote?
Anyone can vote (when voting opens on September, 19, but only one set of votes may be submitted per individual. Duplicate votes are filtered using fraud detection software and not counted toward final totals.
What if I don't want my design to be purchased by other people?
We do not allow voting on or sell any designs without explicit permission from its creator. By participating in this contest, you are granting permission to make your design available to the public for voting and sale non-exclusively if your design finishes in the top 10.
Am I giving up the copyright of my design by entering it?
You are not giving up ownership of your design, but by entering your design in the contest, you give us the non-exclusive right, should your design finish in the top ten, to make it available for sale in the Spoonflower Marketplace per the customary terms of the Spoonflower Marketplace. For any sales generated in the Marketplace, you will receive a 10% commission. You will always be credited for your design and you are free to continue to sell it on your own, now and in the future. The winner will be offered a contract to license his or her design for production by Milk and Honey. With regards to the final shoe creation, as part of the Milk & Honey™ service we will be incorporating your designs, materials, suggestions, and creative input (your "submissions") into the creation of products. You hereby grant to Milk and Honey Ventures, Inc. a perpetual, royalty-free, worldwide, transferable, assignable, sub-licensable nonexclusive, right and license to use your Submissions in all media and products existing now or created in the future, in any manner including for commercial use (e.g. selling products that may incorporate your Submissions).
No Purchase Necessary
1. Sponsors. The Milk and Honey competition (“Promotion”), presented by Milk and Honey Corporation (“Milk and Honey”), 117 W. 9th Street, #205 Los Angeles, CA 90015 and Spoonflower, Inc. (“Spoonflower”), 2810 Meridian Parkway, Suite 130, Durham, NC, 27113 (Spoonflower and Milk and Honey, collectively, referred to as “Sponsors”).
2. Eligibility. Promotion is open only to persons who are 13 years of age or older as of July 1, 2013. In order to submit a design to the contest, each participant must also be a registered member of Spoonflower at the time of entry. To become a registered member of the Spoonflower web site, individuals must register for, create an account, and agree to the Spoonflower web site’s Terms of Service, set forth at www.spoonflower.com/terms (“Terms of Service”). Proof of age may be required. There is no fee or charge to become a registered member. Employees, officers, directors and representatives of Milk and Honey and Spoonflower, as well as immediate family members (spouse and parents, siblings and children and their spouses) and persons living in the same households of each of the above are ineligible to participate. In order to participate you must be able to demonstrate to the satisfaction of the Sponsors that you do not have a current contractual arrangement that would prohibit you from fully participating in this contest and entering into a contract with Milk and Honey for merchandising and distribution of your designs on textiles.
3. Territories. The competition and its rules are void where prohibited by law. All federal, state, provincial and/or local laws apply. This Promotion is open to residents of any country, with the exception of residents of Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, Myanmar/Burma, Syria, Zimbabwe and/or any other country with U.S. sanctions in place, and is void where prohibited by law.
4. Timeline. The Promotion submission period begins at 10:00 AM Eastern Time (“EST”) on Thursday, August 22, 2013. The contest will close to new entries on Tuesday, September 17, 2013, at 11:00pm EST. All submissions must be uploaded to Spoonflower and entered into the contest by 11 pm EST on September 17, 2013. Voting on the competition designs will open at 10 am EST on September 19, 2013 and end at 6pm EST on September 25, 2013. On September 26, Sponsors will choose four of the top ten designs — as determined by totals of votes cast on the Spoonflower contest page — as the overall winners. The winning designs will be announced on September 26, 2013. Summary of contest timeline:
- 8/22/2013 – Open to entries
- 9/17/2013 – Last day to submit designs
- 9/19/2013 – Voting opens
- 9/25/2013 – Public voting will end. Sponsors will choose four winners from the top ten entries, as calculated by total votes.
- 9/26/2013 – Spoonflower will announce the winning designs, as well as the top ten.
5. How to enter a design in the competition. No purchase is necessary to enter or win. You must be a registered member of Spoonflower in order to enter a design submission for the Promotion. To register and to enter, visit www.spoonflower.com, fully complete all required fields on the online registration form as presented, submit the online registration form and then upload and enter your design per the instructions below. There is no cost or fee to register or to enter or to become a registered member of Spoonflower. The contest is limited to one (1) design submission per person. The design theme for submissions is small scale geometric print for shoes. Based on questions we receive, we may post modifications or clarifications to the requirements on the Small Scale Geometric Print for Shoes Challenge page of the Spoonflower blog (http://blog.spoonflower.com/2013/08/small-scale-geometric-print-for-shoes.html), so please check back periodically. Designs must be original and cannot have been entered in previous Spoonflower contests. Previously entered designs may be disqualified and deemed ineligible to be selected. Multiple entries may be disqualified. To enter a design in the contest from a Spoonflower account:
a. Log in to Spoonflower. If you don't have an account, create one.
b. Once you have logged in to Spoonflower go to your design library. If you don't yet have any designs, upload the design you wish to enter.
c. Upload a design in JPG, PNG, or TIF formats, or .AI, .EPS, or .SVG. Artwork should be sized at 150 dpi . Once uploaded, you can use the contest entry page to edit the repeat style of your fabric design. Please proof the size and layout of your design carefully. All contest fabrics will be previewed for voting using the ‘swatch’ view, which is at a scale that shows 8” x 8” representation of fabric. Please make sure your design is in repeat. Do not choose the ‘centered’ layout option.
d. Pull down the Action menu over the design you wish to enter in the contest, and select Small Scale Geometric Print for Shoes under the heading Enter in Contest.
e. Choose the layout option for your design, then click the button that reads "Enter in Contest". If you wish to change the size/dpi of your design or its repeat style, you can do so using the edit option on this page.
f. If you decide to enter a different design or make changes, you can withdraw a design by following the same steps, then entering a new design.
g. You can have only one design active in the contest at a time. Once the entry period closes, we will 'freeze' the submitted designs.
6. Ownership Of Submitted Designs. All design submissions will be subject to the Spoonflower's Terms of Service (http://www.spoonflower.com/terms) and the additional terms set forth below. Each entrant must be the rightful owner or have authorized use of the e-mail account associated with the e-mail address used to create the Spoonflower account. Limit one (1) person per e-mail address and one Spoonflower account per person. If more than one entry is generated by an individual, additional entries will be disqualified and ineligible for the Promotion. Entries and registration submissions that are inappropriate or in any way out of compliance with these Official Rules will be disqualified. Only the winning entry will be offered a licensing contract from Milk and Honey. All other entries remain the property of the individual entrants. Design submissions will be accepted only through the Spoonflower web site. Submissions by email, mail, on CD or through any other means will not be included for consideration. Designs submitted for voting must be public, but need not be available for sale. By entering the Promotion, you acknowledge that the design you submit is your own original work, has not been previously published, and does not contain any trademarks, logos, copyrighted material, or any other intellectual property belonging to any third party. You agree to sign any necessary documentation that may be required by Milk and Honey to certify the use of the rights you granted above. You acknowledge that Sponsors reserve the right to decline to use the design for any reason. You understand that you will not receive any compensation or credit for use of your design, other than what is described in these Official Rules. If the Sponsors determine in their sole discretion that an Entrant has materially breached a representation or warranty at any time during the Competition, then the Entry will be disqualified.
Separately, As part of the Milk & Honey™ service we will be incorporating your designs, materials, suggestions, and creative input (your "submissions") into the creation of products. You hereby grant to Milk and Honey Shoes, LLC a perpetual, royalty-free, worldwide, transferable, assignable, sub-licensable nonexclusive, right and license to use your Submissions in all media and products existing now or created in the future, in any manner including for commercial use (e.g. selling products that may incorporate your Submissions).
7. Expectations of Entrants. The theme for the initial round of the contest is fabrics with the theme of small scale geometric prints for shoes. Should an entrant’s design be selected by the Sponsors as one of the winners, he or she will be expected to sign a contract to work with the team at Milk and Honey to develop and finalize the artwork to prepare it for manufacture and marketing. As a Participant, you also grant Sponsors the right to use your name, a preview of your design, and any biographical information or photos that you provide to us, in connection with the Promotion or your design, in all media (now known or later developed), in any manner, throughout the world, in perpetuity, to promote the Promotion, Spoonflower or Milk and Honey.
8. Ownership of winning design. Participants in this contest must agree to grant Milk and Honey the option to purchase full ownership rights to their fabric design should they win the contest, per the terms of the licensing contract that will be offered to the winners. Neither Spoonflower nor Milk and Honey assert any rights over submitted designs not designated winners. Entrants are free to delete designs they have uploaded to Spoonflower at any time.
9. Expectations of Voters. Voting will be open to all visitors to the contest page on the Spoonflower web site. Votes by phone, email, or mail will not be accepted. Online voting will be restricted to a single set of submitted votes per person. Duplicate voting sessions or votes for which Entrants have offered some incentive or compensation, as determined by IP address and other fraud-detection tools, will not be counted. Determinations about the validity of votes or the final vote counts belong solely to Spoonflower.
10. Similar Ideas. Each Entrant understands and acknowledges that: i) the Competition Entities have wide access to ideas, images, artistic works and other creative materials, and those new ideas are constantly being developed by other individuals; ii) many designs or images may be competitive with, similar to, or identical to content in the Entry and/or each other in style, concept, rendering, or other respects; iii) Entrants will not be entitled to any compensation as a result of the Sponsors' use of any such similar or identical material that has been or may be received by any of the Competition Entities from other sources. Except where prohibited by law, each Entrant acknowledges and agrees that the Sponsors do not now and shall not have in the future any duty or liability, direct or indirect, vicarious, contributory, or otherwise, with respect to the infringement or protection of the Entrant’s copyright in and to the Entries. Finally, each Entrant acknowledges that, with respect to any claim by an Entrant relating to or arising out of any Competition Entities' actual or alleged exploitation or use of any Entry or other material submitted in connection with the Competition, the damage, if any, caused to the applicable Entrant will not be irreparable or otherwise sufficient to entitle such Entrant to seek any injunctive or other equitable relief or in any way enjoin, otherwise interfere with, delay, or interrupt the production, distribution, exhibition, or other exploitation of any product based on, or allegedly based on, the Entry, and Entrant’s rights and remedies in any such event shall be strictly limited to the right to recover damages, if any, in an action at law.
11. Prize. Winners will receive the offer of a contract with Milk and Honey to produce and market his or her own fabric design, and a pair of custom Milk and Honey shoes featuring their design. The winners will be a single design that a) finishes in the top ten of all submitted designs as measured by number of votes by the time contest voting closes at 6 pm EST on September 25, 2013, and b) is selected as the winners by authorized representatives from the Sponsors from the top ten designs. All decisions by the Sponsors as to eligibility of voters, votes, or submitted designs are final. All prize elements are subject to the contract signed between the winners and Milk and Honey. No transfer, assignment, substitution or cash equivalent of any prize element will be permitted. Winners are solely responsible for the reporting and payment of any applicable federal, state and/or local taxes on his/her prize. Winners agree and acknowledge that Sponsors may share his/her name, address and other contact information with one or more third parties in connection with the awarding and/or delivery of the prize, as necessary to deliver and promote the prize. All of the top ten entrants, including the winners, will receive $100 in credit for Spoonflower products, visible in their Spoonflower account and available through the use of the web site as “Spoondollars.”
12. Contact. If you have any questions, please drop us a line here, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The selected finalists and winners will be notified by e-mail (via the current e-mail address associated with selected winner’s Spoonflower account) according to the contest timeline above. Sponsors shall have no liability for any winner notification that is lost, intercepted or not received by a potential winner for any reason. In Sponsors’ sole discretion, a selected winner may be required to forfeit his/her prize and an alternate winner may be selected in accordance with these Official Rules from among the remaining eligible entries if such selected winner: (i) is unreachable or winner notification is returned as undeliverable; (ii) declines or cannot accept, receive or use the prize for any reason; or (iii) fails to comply with these Official Rules. A forfeited prize may not be awarded. If the winner is a minor, Sponsor will require additional documentation from winner’s parent or legal guardian.
13. General Conditions. By participating in this Promotion, each entrant agrees to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of the Sponsors, which are final and binding in all respects and cannot be appealed. By entering, each entrant agrees and acknowledges that Sponsors, and each of their respective parent companies, affiliates, divisions, subsidiaries, franchisees and advertising and marketing agencies, and each of their respective employees, officers, shareholders, directors, representatives and agents (collectively, “Released Parties”) are not responsible for and shall not be liable for: (i) late, lost, delayed, misdirected, incomplete, unreadable, inaccurate, garbled or unintelligible entries; (ii) telephone system, facsimile, technical or computer malfunctions, lost connections or transmissions, disconnections or other errors of any kind whether mechanical, human, electronic or otherwise relating to or in connection with the Promotion, including, without limitation, errors which may occur in connection with the administration of the Promotion or the processing of entries; (iii) data corruption, theft, destruction, unauthorized access to or alteration of entry or other materials; (iv) any injuries, losses, costs, expenses or damages to person or property of any kind caused, in whole or part, directly or indirectly, by the prize or resulting from redemption, acceptance, possession, loss or use or misuse of any prize or from participating in the Promotion or any Promotion related activity; (v) inability to participate in the Promotion; or (vi) any printing, typographical, human, administrative or technological errors in any material associated with the Promotion. No more than the number of prizes stated in these Official Rules will be awarded. Sponsors reserve the right, in their sole discretion, to modify, cancel or suspend this Promotion (or any portion of the Promotion) should an error or a virus, bug, computer problem or other cause or problem corrupt or inhibit the administration, security or proper operation of the Promotion and, in such situation, to select the winners from the remaining eligible non-suspect entries received prior to and/or after such action or in such manner as deemed fair and appropriate by Sponsors in their sole discretion. In the event that Promotion is modified, cancelled or suspended, notification of such event will be posted on the contest page of the Spoonflower blog. Sponsors may prohibit an entrant from participating in the Promotion or winning a prize if, in their sole discretion, Sponsors determine entrant is attempting to undermine the legitimate operation of the Promotion by cheating, hacking, deception, or other unfair practices or intending to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other entrant or any representative of either of the Sponsors. Any attempt by a person to deliberately damage any web site or undermine the legitimate operation of the Promotion is a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made, Sponsors reserve the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent of the law. Sponsors have not made and/or are not responsible for any misrepresentation or guaranty, express or implied, in fact or in law, relative to the prizes.
14. Right of Publicity. By accepting a prize, the winners agree and acknowledge that the Sponsors and any of their designees may, without any limitation or further compensation, use his or her name, design, biographical data and/or likeness in any and all media now known or hereinafter devised, throughout the universe and in perpetuity, for any commercial purpose including, but not limited to, advertising and promoting the Promotion or any other promotion, contest or promotion sponsored by one or both of the Sponsors, except where prohibited by law.
15. Technical Limitation of Liability. To the extent permitted by applicable law, neither the Sponsors nor any of their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising and promotion agencies, legal and financial advisers, any and all companies associated with this Competition after these Official Rules are published, and each of their respective officers, directors, shareholders, agents, licensees, licensors and employees, nor any Internet access providers (collectively “Released Parties”) are responsible for incorrect or inaccurate entry of information, human error, technical malfunction, lost/delayed data transmission, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, line failure of any telephone, computer or other network, computer equipment, software or any combination thereof, inability to access the contest entry page or the Spoonflower web site, for problems uploading any Entries or downloading or viewing any Competition-related materials from the Spoonflower web site, or for late, lost, stolen, damaged, corrupt, misdirected, incorrect, garbled, delayed, undelivered or incomplete Entries, or other materials, except to the extent resulting from the negligence of a Released Party. For purposes of these Official Rules, receipt of Entry occurs when the Spoonflower web site’s servers successfully receive the uploaded design file and record the required Entry information via the contest entry instructions described above. Any Entry/Entrant information collected during the Competition shall be used only in a manner consistent with the consent given by Entrants, at the time of entry, with these Official Rules.
16. Limitations of liability. Sponsors disclaim any liability for damage to any computer system related to participating in, or accessing or downloading information in connection with the Promotion. Except where prohibited by law and to the extent that the negative consequences described below are the foreseeable result of matters within the Released Parties’ reasonable control and are the direct consequence of negligence or default by any of them, the Released Parties are not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate entry of information, human error, technical malfunction, lost/delayed data transmission, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, line failure of any telephone, computer or other network, computer equipment, software or any combination thereof, inability to access the Spoonflower web site, for the inability to upload or download any Competition-related materials from Spoonflower, or for late, lost, damaged, corrupt, misdirected, delayed, garbled, incorrect inaccurate, stolen, damaged, or incomplete Entries or votes.
17. Applicable Law. By entering the Promotion, each entrant agrees that: (1) any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or connected with the Promotion, or any prizes awarded, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action; (2) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out of pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering the Promotion, but in no event will attorneys’ fees be awarded or recoverable; and (3) under no circumstances will any entrant be permitted to obtain any award for, and each entrant hereby knowingly and expressly waives all rights to seek, punitive, incidental or consequential damages and/or any other damages, other than actual out of pocket expenses, and/or any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased. All issues concerning the construction, validity and enforcement of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of the entrant and Sponsors, shall be construed and governed by the laws of the state of North Carolina, without regard to conflicts of law. All suits or claims brought in connection with this Promotion must be brought in a state or federal court in North Carolina.
Did you hear the big news? Spoonflower's new Emerging Designer Grant awards textile and design students with Spoonflower credit to design their own digitally printed fabrics. This week's giveaway, a Wacom Bamboo Splash digital drawing tablet, is a great tool for novice designers and students eager to try their hand at digital design. The Bamboo Splash comes with ArtRage® and SketchBook® Express software and a stylus to easily sketch, draw and paint on your computer.
Enter anytime before Tuesday, August 27th for a chance to win. We will announce one lucky winner on the blog Wednesday, August 28th. Last week's winner of April Rhodes' Staple Dress pattern and three yards of custom printed fabric is Marta Matsumoto– congrats!
This fall design students head back to campus and begin to dream up exciting ideas for class assignments and independent projects. Spoonflower is making it easier for up-and-coming designers to use custom digitally printed textiles through the Emerging Designer Grant.
As they say, a well organized, beautiful environment makes for a clear head and more productive experience overall. We’re inspired by these creative children’s study spaces to make a fresh start to the new school year!
1. Color-on wallpaper | 2. Study nook | 3. Simple + organized boy’s desk | 4. Custom pipe + plank desk shelving | 5. Artful study space walls | 6. Bright + colorful desk | 7. Chalkboard nook | 8. Neon + pastel study space
We're super excited to have our incredibly talented co-worker Caitlin Topham teach the basics of hand embroidery in the Greenhouse next month! Caitlin, who blogs over at Salty Oat, will lead her Basic Hand Embroidery class on Tuesday, September 10, from 6-9pm. Students will practice their new stitches on these precious samplers printed on Spoonflower's linen cotton canvas. Learn a new skill and create a piece perfect for hanging as is or incorporating into a larger project! Registration for this class opens this evening at 6pm, so be sure to head over to our Meetup page and reserve your spot!
Mariah from Everything Golden visits to share a simple vintage army messenger bag update using a mix of custom and vintage fabric scraps. Get the how to and head back to school with a creative book bag to haul your gear!
Mariah: In the spirit of heading back to school, I thought I’d spruce up a vintage army messenger bag with some custom Spoonflower fabric. I designed the orange fabric and used a piece of vintage scrap fabric for the flap. You can purchase the orange design here, or design your own custom print!
What you’ll need:
1. Any bag you’d like to update
2. Eco Canvas fabric (or any other durable fabric such as Linen Cotton Canvas or Faux Suede), 2 square pieces and 2 triangle pieces
3. Snap or regular button
4. Needle and thread
I wanted my pocket to fit my phone so I measured the fabric to ensure it would fit, leaving at least 1” seam allowance on all sides.
Place the two square pieces together, both right sides facing up. Separately fold the two top edges down using an iron and sew a seam on the edge that faces up. Then fold the remaining three sides under, and iron. Then place the triangle pieces together, right sides facing each other, and sew all sides leaving about 2” open so you can turn it right side out.
Place your square piece and your triangular flap together and pin to your bag. Sew the edge of the top back square piece with the triangle flap tucked under and sew the rest of the sides.
With a needle and thread hand sew your snaps and voila, you’re done!
Need more DIY projects? Check out our Back to School DIYs roundup for 41 awesome projects to get your creativity flowing!
About Our Guest Author
Mariah is a creative wanderer in design, photography, and style A nature lover to the core she grew up in Sun Valley, Idaho, spent some time in Colorado and is now happy at home in Bozeman, Montana, wher her laser physicist husband and a smarty pants border collie named Indie. Her biggest source of inspriation is found in the solace of the mountains.
Folks of all ages joined us last Saturday at our Durham, NC headquarters for an afternoon of twisting, banding, and dip-dying Spoonflower t-shirts. Our friends at Rit Dye supplied us with beautiful colors and expert tie-dye instruction, to boot!