Today we're really excited to announce the re-launch of the Spoonflower Welcome Pack, the perfect gift for that certain talented and crafty someone interested in exploring the world of textile and surface design! This new version of the Spoonflower Welcome Pack will include a copy of self-taught fabric designer Laurie Wisbrun's book Mastering the Art of Fabric Printing and Design, along with a $35 Spoonflower Gift Certificate. Laurie's book is an excellent primer on understanding different pattern types, how to create repeating patterns using various design programs as well as non-digital methods, how to achieve great color results in digital printing, how to go professional as a textile designer, and more. We think it's an obvious choice for the Spoonflower Welcome Pack and the perfect gift for the newbie designer in your life!
If you don't yet have a copy of this wonderful resource, check out the tutorial below, excerpted from Laurie's book, on how to design a repeating pattern the old-fashioned way, using paper, pen, scissors, and tape. (It's a real eye-opener in understanding how repeats work.) Enjoy!
- Masking tape
- Begin with a blank piece of paper.
- In the middle of your sheet, draw your design. Stay away from the edges of the sheet.
- Turn your sheet over and draw a four-part grid. Write the numbers 1-4 as shown.
- Turn your drawing over and cut it in half vertically. Tape your pieces together as shown.
- The middle of your drawing is blank. Fill in the space but stay away from the top and bottom edges.
- Un-tape the drawing and tape it back together as shown.
- Cut your sheet in half horizontally and tape your pieces back together as shown.
- The middle of your drawing is blank again. Fill in the space but stay away from the left and right edges.
- Turn your drawing over and tape your pieces back together as shown.
- Your repeat is complete. Your next step is to scan the image, make any small edits and prepare the file for printing.
- This fabric, printed using www.spoonflower.com and embellished using embroidery thread, will make a lovely pillow cover.
Thanks, Laurie! To celebrate the re-launch of the Spoonflower Welcome Pack, enter for a chance to win any time up through Tuesday, February 5th, 2013 at
midnight EST. On Wednesday we'll choose three lucky winners.
If you're one of our winners, we'll be happy to send the Welcome Pack to a deserving friend or loved one on your behalf, or you can keep it all to yourself. Just follow the link below to enter the giveaway before entries close next Tuesday, 2/5. We'll announce a winner on 2/6. Good luck to you all!
Last week, we gave away a copy of Maya Donenfeld's lovely book, Reinvention: Sewing With Rescued Materials plus three yards of the Spoonflower fabric of your choice. Our winner was Debra Calabro. Congratulations, Debra, and we'll be in touch with you shortly!